Solo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solo Reviews

½ May 2, 2015
As just a pure out popcorn action flick there's some enjoyment here.
½ December 3, 2014
Solo is a poor film - that cannot be ignored. The acting for the most part is very wooden (the only exception is Adrien Brody's performance as Solo's creator Bill) and the story is slight enough that you would probably forget it WHILST you where watching the film. That said, such films are more about the action than the plot/acting and, as such, live or die by the action set pieces - that after all is the point of such films - to give 14 year-olds something to smile at whilst the adults watch films of actual substance. And even on this Solo fails to deliver - what little action there is is poorly done, dull and uninspired. After seeing the trailer for this on television I was hoping for something along the lines of Predator with a robot replacing the Predaot. Instead I got a fairly lifeless action film with a poorly constructed attempt at depth by taking on message that robots can feel too. Watch Terminator II or Predator instead.. both classics that this film desperately wants to be except it lacks the inspiration or, to be fair, the budget.
May 21, 2014
One of the most boring "action" movies ever.
April 5, 2014
Solo fails to be an action movie, the emotions are lost in translation, the clichs are easily found, and it is also unbelievably boring, Solo is a dumb action movie with no shred of humanity.
November 27, 2013
1990s cheese fest with Mario Van Peebles as a super soldier who goes rogue. For a much more competent telling of nearly the same story, watch Kurt Russell in "Soldier," which came out two years later and was written Oscar winner David Webb Peoples. William Sadler, Barry Corbin and Adrien Brody also star in this dud.
January 22, 2013
Mario, you just aren't an action star!
December 8, 2012
solo is the one of my favorite movie ever
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
October 14, 2012
a rip off of so many better films,with a robot built to be a soldier learning and going awol. Mario van peeples is ok in the role until he has to produce emotion as the bot and his acting goes to shit. The actions ok i guess but nothing stands out. Adrien brody in an early role showed promise
July 31, 2012
What this download film ?
I Can download this film :D
½ July 29, 2012
His insides may lack substance but his cold brute kick and punches compensates for it.
½ January 10, 2012
Great to watch for those "worst movie ever" get togethers
½ December 1, 2010
Fed nok actionfilm fra 90'erne jeg ikke havde set før. Specielt sidste halvdel var sgu fed .. Der ønskede man næsten den ikk stoppede! Ikke de mest sindssyge effekter, men udover det, helt klart et kig værd hvis man er til den slags :)
½ October 11, 2010
Silly but entertaining TV movie.
½ June 1, 2010
Kind of a dumb plot, but some good action in this movie.
½ May 22, 2010
Hell yeah! they should make more films like this. Mario Van Peebles is a superhard bastard in this movie and he feels sad. So he trains a group of villagers how to kill. When Im sad I listen to Groove Armada and drink spirits but Training villagers how to kill would be a fair alternative. Anyways the villagers are not as adept at killing as MVP and to be fair fuck off and leave him to kill all the bad guys, which he does with flair and panache. Nice work Mario!!!!!!
April 15, 2010
Well, it's like terminator only different. I like it a lot, but I don't love it. I liked that instead of a robot just saying "I don't feel, I'm not programed to" like they do in all the other movies, he actually tries to understand, tries to be like others. I like that there are no glitches in his own directives, they paid good attention to making him perfect as the creator made him, not as the buyer wanted him. I mean yes, we have a lot of robot movies these days, but this one and the terminator are the only ones worth watching really. These types of movies started it all, the new ones just follow suit. And the way he evolves and acts really is funny. Like he is an animal who is so curious he will put his nose to the crab, get snapped, and still wonder what's going on. It makes me smile.
½ April 14, 2010
The story was good, Solo had lots of emotions for a robot, the end fight was excellent, he barely won it though lol but he is an excellent weapon.
It was his emotions that helped him survive anyway
getshort78
April 14, 2010
The American military-industrial complex has a blueprint for the perfect mechanical soldier. Unfortunately, the prototype, Solo (Mario Van Peebles), has responded appropriately to his programming (which requires him to reason things out on his own), with results that the designers didn't anticipate and don't like. For one thing, he objects to killing innocent bystanders. Already one of their covert operations has been ruined by his scruples. The manufacturers have given orders that he is to be taken back to the lab and reprogrammed. Now on the run from his makers, he comes to a village of oppressed peasants and teaches them how to fight back successfully in a sequence which harkens to the classic The Seven Samurai.
½ January 15, 2010
Virtually devoid of story, "Solo" plays it too conservatively taking little risks in this low budget action film. Mario Van Peebles plays the part of an android (or channels Daymon Wayans as Robocop) who decides that he doesn't like killing people and decides to befriend a bunch of peasants instead, all the while being hunted by the US military. A young Adrien Brody's nose looks ready for takeoff as his scientist 'father' but otherwise there's just too little to go on. The fight scenes were acceptable but you just can't help but laugh at an android who decides the best way to escape is to do multiple back flips in front of an explosion and decide that the idea of 'bluffing' is how you achieve humanity.