The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders Reviews

• Feb 04, 2014

I love this movie. One awesome sex scene and a woman with a lot of guts.

I love this movie. One awesome sex scene and a woman with a lot of guts.

• Dec 02, 2012

I thought this was rather fun and I loved the costumes.

I thought this was rather fun and I loved the costumes.

• Aug 06, 2012

One of my all- time favorites-

One of my all- time favorites-

• Nov 18, 2010

ITV1's hilariously funny, very bawdy and occasionally moving adaptation of Daniel Defoe's tale about an ordinary woman trying all she can to make her mark upon the world in vice-ridden 18th century London, "'The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders" is a TV production not to be sniffed at. Alex Kingston stars as the titular heroine, who plays the character with remarkable integrity and gusto, exactly how she is meant to be. The production spares no details of Moll's dubious careers, and succeeds in angering and moving the audience to tears within minutes of eachother. Top class actors, accurate costumes and wonderful settings combined with a tight script results in an intoxicating concoction of televisual brilliance. This adaptation made in 1996 is still as popular as ever, and the new Moll Flanders film is not a patch on this. It is very faithful to the novel and yet still adds its own elements to the original story, adapting it for a more modern audience. A masterpiece!

• Jun 07, 2010

Loved Alex Kingston in this production! Beautiful hair, hats, costumes....and the bawdiness showed viewers that humans had desires throughout history (no matter how piously they dressed or acted). Enjoyed those times when she looked into the camera and asked questions/made statements! Made the viewer feel part of the movie LOL. Not a film for younger viewers.

• Jun 30, 2009

I didn't even know this was on here classed as a movie, however I enjoyed watching this drama back in the day with my family.

• Feb 06, 2009

Meh. Kingston is good, but overall, it's nothing to write home about.

Meh. Kingston is good, but overall, it's nothing to write home about.

• Aug 23, 2008

It was good - but better than the Pride & Prejudice (like the booklet promises)? Bullsh*t. :D

• Jul 10, 2008

The cover primised it to be better than pride and prejudice. Of course it wasn't. It was neither as funny, beautiful, emotional or clever as P&P. Watchable still.

• Jul 09, 2008

i haven't read the novel, but i sure would like to. having said that i fear that this dramatisation is not doing the novel justice. alex kingston is really good, but in my opinion the whole thing is too erotic.