Foxfire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxfire Reviews

January 2, 2016
I want to give Foxfire 5 stars for the subject matter - yeah the plot is in pieces and it gets clunky - but how good is the first half. Powerless teenage girls led by young cool Angelina Jolie to take back some power. Maybe it sounds cliche but it's the kind of cliche we don't see enough on screen. Aspirational. Mostly.
June 4, 2015
While Angelina Jolie is perfectly cast, overall it's a pretty bad adaptation.
½ January 23, 2015
Okay, so I remembered really enjoying this a helluva lot back in the VHS days, and after a re-watch recently with more adult eyes, I have to concede that this feeling might've been based on the randomly gratuitous scene of nudity thrown into the middle of the film, because overall this movie is PAINFULLY '90s and doesn't really do a lot save for stir up shit for all of the young ladies involved.

It's still watchable, but holy shit, I had to dial down my ratings dramatically.

Rental.
½ September 11, 2014
I watched this after watching the 2013 version. And it does not compare. The plot is thinner, and Angelina Jolie is not as charming as Raven Adamson starring as Legs.
July 14, 2014
Great performances by the entire cast.
DrStrangeblog
October 16, 2013
20-year-old Angelina Jolie stars as teenage drifter Legs Sadovsky who emboldens four misfit girls to stand up for themselves - and each other. The female bonding subgenre was a rarity for 1996, but unfortunately this screenplay is about as aimless as some of the girls themselves. Additionally the acting isn't very strong apart from Jolie who commands attention in every scene with her good looks (despite the Jackie Chan haircut) and knife-edge comportment. Definitely worth watching for Jolie devotees, Foxfire also exhibits some striking use of color and light, and a memorably long, seductive tattoo scene hypnotically set to Mazzy Star's "Into Dust." Some other good songs on the soundtrack that qualifies as among the '90s most eccentric by including music ranging from Kristin Hersh to mainstream jazz to The Cramps to the pan flute!
January 22, 2013
Super cute movie about girls getting revenge on a teacher who molested them. For the middle of the movie. The movie kinda turns into something else later on. Just got this on DVD, it is a very pretty movie. Well done, Ms. Director. Not the nude romp I remember from my youth, but, hey, I love me some feminist films now!
January 14, 2013
An early film for the legendary Angelina Jolie prior to her ?Bradgelina? days, Foxfire remains one of her less known projects from her youth which most fans may not be familiar with?possibly because it surely is not the best project on her resume. An minor film aimed seemingly at 1990s gothic teens with too much time on their hands, those interested in seeing a short-haired Angelina in a teen role (who already have seen 1995?s Hackers) may take more to this one than those expecting anything special.
This mostly bogus drama/thriller revolves around some attractive yet troubled teenage girls who form a gang (more of a cult actually) when a tall stranger (Jolie) stumbles into town and looks for various ways to create trouble at the local high school. They all think it is fun and games until things (unsurprisingly) get out of hand and they all end up suspended until further notice. The drama does not stop there, however as Legs (the name Jolie goes by) cannot go a day without causing a scandal and brings the rest of the group with her.
This intriguing but ultimately depressing flick has its entertaining parts and an attractive young cast, but the turns of events are so ridiculous it is hard to understand what the point is, overall. Those who remember the styles and grungy trends of 1990s high schoolers may find this a trip down memory lane and wonder if Nirvana will suddenly appear singing ?Smells Like Teen Spirit??if they care to go there in the first place. Angelina, herself surely looks at this in her early filmography and laughs at what a ridiculous film she chose to star in until better projects came along. Her fans may like it solely to see her ?topless? scene. Filmed in Portland, Oregon.
January 6, 2013
One of her best movies.
November 25, 2012
WHat can I say. 5 girls sticking up for themselves, it's pretty hot.
October 9, 2012
Pretty much disappointing
August 24, 2012
Foxfire is a provocative and compelling coming-of-age film that looks at teenage rebellion and the search for identity. The story follows a drifter named Legs that strolls into a high school one day and ends up changing the lives of four girls who end up forming a unique bond of friendship. Angelina Jolie shines in this film, and really shows the star power and charisma that she's capable of. The film does a good job at handling the serious themes and keeps the characters grounded and real. However, the plot takes some odd turns and goes to extremes. While it's flawed, Foxfire presents an interesting and challenging look at the struggles of the youth culture.
August 22, 2012
"Foxfire exudes sensuality, strength, hope and excitement."
Angelina Jolie is Margerat aka: Legs, a Mysterious figure who's fearless, and appears at the most important time in 4 teenage girls lives. After 2 of the girls confess to being sexually abused by the science teacher, legs is determined to catch him at his own game. With a spoonful of revenge, and over due payback the girls plan is failed by suspension. Now a clan of rejects they glue together, and bare their souls.
August 13, 2012
Loved this movie & not because Angelina Jolie played in it!!!
August 8, 2012
Back when Angelina Jolie picked better acting roles.
½ August 4, 2012
not totally bad, at least there were some entertainment value ... and eye candies! (though jenny shimizu was nothing more than a vase here.) thought the actress who played maddy wasn't too bad.
ms jolie looked more yummalicious with short hair.
May 25, 2012
This was a movie that I was able to relate to as a teenager. This movie is what made me fall for Angelina. In my life, I had a Sabrina, whom in the movie was Jolie. I think that it definitely has the potential to help many teens who are struggling with their identity.
April 29, 2012
classic movie for baby dukes. gotta love angelina
April 18, 2012
Jolie need i say more
April 13, 2012
Girl gangs are so cool. Angelina is Cool. Angelina running a girl gang is cool, plus it has jenny lewis!