Emma Reviews

• May 13, 2019

i literally just signed up to give this movie the worst rating. what a terrible main character and i want my 2 hours back please thanks

• Feb 01, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jan 23, 2019

Jane Austen is evergreen- kinda like Shakespeare and Agatha Christie. Emma lacks the depth of passion present in the other Austen films, but, in large part because it's trying for something lighter and breezier, it's still fun. The film runs a little longer than seems necessary, and gets off to a slow, fitful start (Douglas McGrath's screenplay is not the equal of the other Austen adaptations), but Paltrow keeps us interested until the story's inherent romantic magic begins to weave its spell. Speaking of star-making turns, Emma is likely to open eyes to the talent of its leading lady, Gwyneth Paltrow who is rather good in the main lead. It's the romantic buried inside each of us that responds to movies like Emma. Sure, the film, like the Jane Austen novel upon which it is based, is laced with wit and sophistication. And, although it contains enough social commentary and character development to lift it well above the plane of genre romances, Emma is still primarily about lovers finding each other during a simpler age.

• Jan 12, 2019

Jeremy Northam alone holds my interest. The cast ensemble is close to perfection, but I always long for *my* mr. Knightley!

• Aug 11, 2018

As a big Jane Austen fan I find this pretty unwatchable. Better versions have the conceited Emma be sympathetic and charming despite this. But Paltrow in this role made me despise the character Emma for bing an unbearable selfish brat. Don't think the essence was truly captured by Paltrows casting.

• May 12, 2018

EMMA (1996) While the classic Jane Austen story still plays out well in this classic 1990s adaptation, the film is still rather boring. Its immature protagonist (Gwyneth Paltrow) is an acutely irritating and annoying gossip and obsessive "matchmaker", yet she has no experience being in love or making it. But somehow she thinks it's her duty to find it for others. So...high jinks and low jinks ensue. After some polite giggling, tears are shed, and older men marry naive girls. Emma's false modesty and manipulative manners are sweetly sickening and may induce eye-rolling on occasion. Per the book, she was meant to be somewhat plain, not inordinately pretty (facially); filmmakers should've downplayed her girlie looks just a bit more, but "Hollywood" likes to glam-up female characters for the box office. However, filmmakers seem to have nailed the annoying aspects of Emma's personality; even the quiet tantrum-like moments that bubble to the surface. I have enjoyed Jane Austen's most popular books and their film adaptations - EMMA is the weakest, most mundane, for me. Not in terms of "car chases and explosions", but with regard to deeper character study and story evolution. Nonetheless, the acting of all that were cast in EMMA, including Paltrow and the handsome Jeremy Northam (Mr. Knightly) is exceptional. Ewan McGregor (Frank Churchill), Alan Cumming (Rev. Elton), and Toni Collette (Harriet Smith) were relative newcomers upon the film's release, but each had their first hit role already in the can. For fans, it's a bit fun to see these talents honing their craft near the beginning of their acting careers. -March 2019

• Nov 27, 2017

A joy of a movie, set against England's green and pleasant with an eye for fine detail and capturing the spirit of the classic Jane Austin novel. Well cast, with many of the minor roles beautifully played and supported by a uplifting soundtrack, allowing the time and place to wash over you. While definitely for the fans of the genre, it is well worth a view!

• May 29, 2017

I did watch the 2009 miniseries, but found the casting highly unsatisfactory. The characters all felt bizarrely bland and lifeless for an Austen story, where they all ought to be at least a *little* larger than life. As such, I still prefer this version. It's not as good as it could be, which is a shame, because I'm quite happy with all the casting, particularly Paltrow, who some of you may remember was an actress before she decided to detour into giving people terrible advice (kinda weirdly like a modern day Emma!) Despite my dislike of the existing miniseries, as with other movies based on books, I feel the movie would have been better with a longer running time, episodic instead of a movie, in order to capture more of the delight that Austen's characters bring to every page. Mr. Woodhouse's character in particular feels very neglected, with barely time to begin fussing before he's shoved aside to advance the story a little more because they're running out of time. Special mention goes to Alan Cumming and Juliet Stevenson for playing a truly revolting, despicable pair who deserve each other, and to Sophie Thompson for an absolutely perfect Miss Bates.

• Mar 04, 2017

Only reason I gave it a 2 is because I love jane austen otherwise it would have gotten a one. Horrible acting.

• Nov 05, 2016

Deducting a star because of Gwenth Paltrow. I used to like her and then I watched her play Emma and all I could do was cringe. She was whiny and honestly I couldn't believe her as Emma. The other actors were great, she was a let down to the entire film. Kate Beckinsale was the perfect Emma, Romola Garai was also a good Emma too.