Ransom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ransom Reviews

September 25, 2014
Gibson et Sinise en pleine forme dans ce thriller bien mene meme si l'intrigue est assez convenue.
September 23, 2014
Glued to this when I went to see it and it still holds up well. Great turn by Gibson.
½ September 14, 2014
Pretty Good Thriller.B-
August 29, 2014
I'm one of millions of people who continue to wonder how Ron Howard can make such good movies but still has yet to make a GREAT or FANTASTIC movie. Ransom is a great example of how all the right ingredient somehow work to make an "A" movie but also always feels somehow like it never really hit the high note and shattered the wine glasses in the room when you feel like it damn well should have. Watching it again I was reminded all through it how much THE EDGE OF DARKNESS did what RANSOM didn't and one cannot help but feel like something IN Ron Howard and something missing in Ron is responsible for a string of near misses. What makes Ransom worth watching is the irony -- Gibsons sudden decision to offer the ransom instead as a bounty and the crises that flow from the unbelievably intractability of the FBI who ought to have been tossed from the equation early on. Everything else is derivative and familiar.
August 9, 2014
Okay before I continue with this review(or for that matter start it) I'm going to get the Elephant out of the room here. I CAN NOT TAKE RON HOWARD FILMS SERIOUSLY. Now when I say that I don't mean his films are bad(in all honesty I think ALOT of his films are great actually) Its just every time I see his name on a film I go "HAPPY DAYS" SO forgive me when I giggle at his name on films.
ANYWAY with that out of the way let's move on
Ransom is a pretty basic concept/idea for a story it's about a man who is Rich and they decided to kidnap the most important thing in his life(his child) to show him he can loose things. Pretty Ho-Hum.
BUT even though the film has a dullish idea it's still able to submit this great tension through the use of great string music through out.
But the best part of the whole film is the cast. Mel is great(as usual) and Rene Russo is hot and I have to admit The chemistry Mel and Rene have is great. I think in part it's cause they've worked together alot so they know how..to..work off eac hother but still they're great to watch. Another thing that caught me off guard was the Villian. GARY FREAKIN SINUS. I'm so use to seeing him play a hero(mostly as Mac taylor from CSI NY) that seeing him as a villain I was WHOA. and he delivers he's..not..sinister persa but he's got enough authoritativeness to him you can sense his evilness. The scenes of him and Mel where easily some of the best in the film.
Although the film was okay it did have one HUGE problem that basically ruined the film: The twist was revealed not...ten minutes into the film. I mean with in ten fifteen minutes into the film we find out the twist*SPOILER ALERT* that Gary's character is a Disgraced cop out for revenge against Mel's character and Then for the rest of the film your like...oh come on just get it over with. And it thusly TOTALLY ruins the ending cause you could see it coming and also the climax(If you want to call it that) is like oh...I pretty much expected that...
All in all your left with a..well....average film. It's not bad(The performances are great and help keep you entertained) but the story's twists and plot is explained so quickly you have trouble holding onto the film for 2hrs.
½ July 31, 2014
One of Mel Gibson's best
July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/29/2010)
July 20, 2014
Gibson returns to the sort of character he plays best and Sinise once again proves he can make any film better.
June 28, 2014
Mel Gibson was top-notch in this film. I read a lot of eye-rolling at the last scene, as it is a bloody shoot-out, but I think people forget that the shoot-out only ensued after Sinise was in Gibson's house...collecting a reward for a child he kidnapped! Thats creepy!
½ April 29, 2014
A Mel Gibson film directed by Ron Howard is a great combination so it is a sure fire viewing for me.

I expected Ransom to a basic kidnapping thriller film which was well acted. Thanks to Ron Howard and Mel Gibson, I got a lot more than I had expected and walked away from Ransom very pleased at the experience.
Although a lot of films tend to follow a formula, Ransom manages to stand out and leave viewers with some surprises. While admittedly even it is a little bit predictable and its ending wasn't as surprising as the unexpected plot dynamics that had been building up to it, I was still very happy with Ransom.
Ransom follows a mainly routine path for the majority of the start of the film as it deals with protagonist Tom Mullen facing his son's kidnapping. It has the same basic path for a while which doesn't have many new twists and turns. It makes a serious turnaround at a certain point in the story: when the ransom drop off happens. From there, it becomes a game of wits between one man and another, a game of chess in which one bad move could be the end of everything for one person. The intense battle that goes on between these men objectifies lives, and it is so powerful in its intensity that it is very likely to capture the viewers' interest. It transcends a predictable path for an extended period of time in Ransom which makes everything a lot more inventive, and while its ending doesn't have the same kind of surprises, it is still executed well. So a lot of the reasons that Ransom succeeds can be attributed to the screenplay by Richard Price and Alexander Ignon which is full of clever dialogue and Ron Howard who manages to ensure that Ransom is pretty much constantly rich with an intense atmosphere and vibrant with fear which leaves viewers on the edge of their seats. Ron Howard manages to truly harness the fear in Ransom and the nature of the crime, and so it is an impressive effort on behalf of him as a director.
Ransom is interesting also because instead of solely focusing on the kidnapper or the person being forced to pay the ransom, it focuses on both of them and actually balances it out well. If maintains an even focus between them without ever focusing on any singular side which makes it more interesting than the average kidnapping film since it shows both parties dealing with the experience. And it does it with some fine cinematography which gets right up in the faces of the characters to zero in on their focus on the situation as well as reflecting the claustrophobic mood of the situations that the characters have gotten themselves into. So it is easy to feel the experience of Ransom as compelling because visually it captures the right aspects of things, and the musical score of it is atmospheric as well by capitialisting on the intended intense mood of the experience and then enhancing it. Ransom succeeds in a lot of technical areas and tells its story very well, but the most memorable aspect of it is the cast.
Mel Gibson is perfect for the lead role in Ransom. While he is known both as a great dramatic actor and a badass action hero, in Ransom he takes aspects of both personas and combines them, making one of the most heroic but also realistic characters he has portrayed to date. His Golden Globe nominated performance sees him developing several times over the course of the story from the beginning as a fearful father facing the loss of his son and later the role of a man willing to sacrifice a lot of things to bring an enemy to justice. The transition is intense, and as it happens Mel Gibson gets a tenacious grip on the story which he uses to carry it to the end. When he delivers the line "Give me back my son!", we see the endeavour of his intensity and the anger he faces for being forced into playing a game with a criminal and the life of his own son. It is an easily memorable moment, one of Mel Gibson's most memorable line deliveries in the history of his career as an actor. Mel Gibson gives a consistently impressive performance in Ransom which is fierce and powerful, and it makes him one of the most impressive parts of the film.
Gary Sinise also gives a powerful effort. Although his arguably most well known role is the heroic but aggressive Vietnam war veteran Lieutenant Dan Taylor from Forrest Gump, without missing a beat he takes on the role of antagonist Detective Jimmy Shaker in Ransom and plays a character much like Mel Gibson's yet on a villainous side. The two actors share a powerful chemistry even though they are rarely on screen at the same time, and Gary Sinise injects his most powerful aggressive skills as an actor into Ransom. Gary Sinise branches out in Ransom and makes a hell of a villain, and his intense strength and skill at manipulating the characters feels all too real.
Rene Russo faces a somewhat complicated character because her role as Kate Mullen means that she is both the mother of the kidnapped child and the wife of the man playing the game with the enemy. She consistently projects a lot of tense emotional strength within her character's fearful and rough edged persona which makes the experience of Ransom more tense and emotionally striking, and the result proves to have her benefiting Ransom very much.
Lastly, Brawley Nolte's small supporting performance as the kidnapped child Sean Mullen in Ransom is effective because he injects a convincing sense of fear into the role, the kind of shattered innocence that comes with a reckless kidnapping. It makes the entire experience a little more compelling and stronger in its realism.

So while Ransom has some moments where it can't transcend its formula, it has some cleverly written twists and turns as well as a lot of intensity thanks to Ron Howard's direction and Mel Gibson's striking lead performance.
½ March 19, 2014
when you think its over... your wrong! it keeps going.. and it gets better and BETTER as it goes on. I really enjoyed this film. And I think this is one of Mel Gibson's best later films
March 13, 2014
You may not know this, but this is a remake of the classic film with Glenn Ford. Only this one is more powerful and riveting than the original, thanks to Clockers' author Richard Price. I love that movie, which is why I love drama.
March 13, 2014
March 12, 2014
Totally great kidnapping movie with a unique twist that turns the tables on the kidnapper's themselves; with Mel Gibson's character not taking any shit from them! This was in Mel's prime when everybody loved him and you really buy that he's a broken-down father trying everything he can to get his son back! The rest of the cast is solid with a great villainous performance by Gary Sinise, who adds tension to every scene he's in. There's not much else to be said other than see it if you enjoy kidnapping thrillers!
½ March 6, 2014
Ransom may be a simple kidnapping thriller when you remove the "turn-the-tables" aspect, but it's still a personal favorite. The aspect that I love the most though is the performances, especially from Mel Gibson who gives an impressively natural performance as distraught Tom Mullen. Gary Sinise is a great bad guy, Delroy Lindo is a convincing FBI agent and Rene Russo delivers a good performance as Tom's wife. Ransom is a superbly acted, well paced and occasionally bloody thriller with an intense climax that closes the movie perfectly in my opinion.
March 6, 2014
When a rich man's son is kidnapped, he cooperates with the police at first but then tries a unique tactic against the criminals.

stars Mel Gibson, Rene Russo, Gary Sinise, Brawley Nolte, Delroy Lindo, Lili Taylor, Liev Schreiber, Donnie Wahlberg, Evan Handler, Donna Hanover , Dan Hedaya, Jose Zuniga, Michael Gaston, Paul Guilfoyle, Nancy Ticotin and John Ortiz.

directed by Ron Howard.
January 26, 2014
Bolstering a terrific turn by Mel Gibson, Ransom is an exhilarating, fun, and twisty ride.
January 16, 2014
A good thriller, well written, well directed & acted perfectly as always by a Mel Gibson in top shape.
December 12, 2013
Gary Sinise steals the show in my opinion as he steals the show as the lead villan. It is tense throughout with a pretty surprise ending that gets tenser and tenser as time goes on.
October 30, 2013
A solid ransom film about a father throwing challenges to the people that kidnapped his father. A simple plot structure, though with an interesting twist, the film is helped by some powerful performances by the cast and some nice twists.