Metro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metro Reviews

May 26, 2016
Eddie Murphy was kind of annoying. It definitely wasn't one of his better roles, but Michael Wincott makes a good villain. As an action thriller it wasn't bad. Not especially memorable, but watchable. (First and only viewing - 5/25/2016)
½ September 20, 2015
This 1997 movie was written by Randy Feldman. Why do I start off with him? Well, that's easy: if you check his resume after 'Metro', you will not see much. If you check before 1997, you will see that he is most known for 'Tango & Cash', which earned him a Razzie nomination in 1990.

Then there's the director, Thomas Carter, who won Several primetime Emmy's for drama series. And he directed the masterpiece 'Coach Carter'. No, that one is not about himself. I'll have more to say about him later.

The star of the movie is Eddie Murphy who plays Roper, a hostage negotiator with the San Francisco PD. Is Eddie any good here? Well, yes. He is as good as it gets in this setting. If the script wasn't so generic and the general production moved up a notch, maybe the whole movie could have walked that fine line between comedy and drama.

Michael Wincott is the villain. He disappoints as Korda, mainly because his characted is so generic. He hardly gets to add any personality to his role. His lines and surroundings are so cliche, that the whole thing never really fleshes out. And I refuse to write that down to bad acting on his part.

So here you have two more than capable actors stuck in a story that is both predictable (no matter how many times our lovely director tries to trick us, be it with faux horror sound effects or plot holes) and ill-executed.

It all starts off fine, setting up location and the Roper character. Even though this movie depicts a very clean version of downtown San Francisco, the start is quite okay.

But as the film progresses and several story lines about Roper, his (former) partners, his (ex) girlfriend and up-and-coming nemesis Korda get fleshed out, the story falls apart. There are plot holes that will leave you stare at the screen with your mouth open for a few seconds. There are cringeworthy performances by extra's in the robbery/hostage scenes. There are outcomes so predictable that it kills all the suspense. And then, almost at the end of the movie, there are silly and ridiculous attempts at suspense that make you LOL.

All in all, for a 1997 action/drama/comedy, it kind of delivers in the action department, even though the chase scenes are mostly memorable for being in San Francisco. The drama is underwhelming and the comedy doesn't balance well here. Meh.

Pros: Eddie Murphy does an OK job
Cons: Generic, predictable, etc.
Verdict: Watch if there's really nothing else on.
August 27, 2015
Eddie Murphy's "Metro" is actually a very good action movie. I think that the public was so use to Eddie doing comedy that when he did a real action thriller type movie, people could not get with it. It real is a good movie!!
½ May 10, 2015
Has any good actor/entertainer made worse movies on a steadier basis than Murphy?Not his worst but it's up there.
August 14, 2014
Couldn't keep my attention. Some scenes were decent.
June 21, 2014
People keep describing it as an action comedy. But I don't think Eddie told a single job in the entire movie. So I looked at it as Eddie trying to actually act for the first time. He wasn't very good but there aren't many comedians that I can see even attempting this.
½ April 16, 2014
It tries to do a different take on the detective cat and mouse movie but falls flat in its attempt. Rapaport's character could have been left out of the final cut and it would have made no real difference in the movie. The sad part is, Eddie Murphy actually does a good job in his role but it can't make this movie worth a watch.
January 21, 2014
Eddie Murphy is primarily known as a comedian, but the first thing that struck me about "Metro" is that it is essentially a serious police movie and I found that to be very refreshing. For the first time since the "Beverly Hills Cop" films made him a superstar Murphy returns to the genre, and although there is some humor here, it is not a comedy. In fact, we only get to hear is trademark laugh a handful of times.

There's nothing special about the story here, in fact it's chock full of action movie cliches, but I appreciated Murphy's intense performance and the moments when the film chooses to buck the familiar story. An example would be in his relationship with Michael Rapaport as the promising young rookie where the veteran cop chooses to nurture rather than resist him. I would have liked to see more of that dynamic.

The star is quite good in scenes that could have been laughable in which he is required to be fierce, such as his prison showdown with villain Michael Wincott. There are a number of thrilling action set pieces, most notably the chase scene involving a San Francisco streetcar, and the finale is exciting despite the set-up's predictability. It's a standard, police-issue ending but the film had already hooked me so it was hard to nitpick over its unoriginality.

In fact, there's nearly nothing in "Metro" than an avid movie buff hasn't seen dozens of times before, but I admired Murphy's willingness to take a chance and the overall tone of the picture. It definitely will never be accused of breaking any new ground, but it is a very entertaining film with a solid lead performance holding it all together.
½ January 10, 2014
Rubbish. Very cliche - all very lazy even the title. Forgettable drivel which is at very best something to have on in the background.
½ November 1, 2013
Noisy, busy, insignificant.
August 6, 2013
Directed by Thomas Carter (Save the Last Dance (2001) and Coach Carter (2005)), this was an action film which was offered to just about every action star, bankable or otherwise, in Hollywood at the time. But, Eddie Murphy heard about it, and was looking to do something different after umpteen comedies in a row, and it proves to be a perfect fit for him, and it showed a different side to him too, one he hasn't revisited since. In San Francisco, Inspector Scott Roper (Murphy) is the best hostage negotiator in the city, he's able to keep his cool in tense situations, and he's in a relationship with newspaper reporter Veronica Tate (Carmen Ejogo). However, after Scott's friend Lieutenant Sam Baffert (Art Evans) is killed by Michael Korda (Michael Wincott), who Baffert was questioning about a jewel robbery. Scott swears revenge, but he leaves it mostly to his new partner, sharpshooter Kevin McCall (Michael Rapaport). After a destructive chase through San Francisco, Korda is behind bars, but that's not the end of it, Korda is still able to contact the outside world, to get HIS revenge on Scott, hitting him where it hurts. There's some good moments in this action film, originally the makers wanted to make it more comedic to suit Murphy's talents, but he refused, and he makes a good action hero, and it's something he should have pursued more, as he was good at it here.
½ April 19, 2013
One of my most hated films.
½ March 17, 2013
En 1997, Eddie Murphy peut tout faire avec succes, en temoigne ce polar plus serieux qu'a l'accoutumee, plutot bien mis en scene par le rookie Thomas Carter. Si le scenario n'a rien d'original, le duo Eddie Murphy - Michael Rapaport est efficace et les seconds roles comme Michael Wincott assurent derriere. Un vrai film des annees 90, avec son eternel R'n'B pendant le generique final.
February 5, 2013
Crap...Crappy plot, action that doesn't deliver... and jokes that don't cut it...
½ January 22, 2013
Ah, the 90s action film. I admit I miss the genre. I miss Michael Wincott. I miss Eddie Murphy not being a pansy. Nice cast of familiar faces, especially in the supporting department. The film's action has two good sequences. The logic and police work is extremely flawed. Roper is just not a good cop at all. But as a brainless action flick? Yeah, they used to be fun and actually went on location to blow crap up.
January 3, 2013
very underrated movie, must see.
December 16, 2012
Its the only thing that was on Tv so thats why i saw it
½ October 31, 2012
More drama than any of the other generes it wants to be at times, this move really sucks.
½ October 10, 2012
Another Eddie Murphy buddycop film.
June 4, 2012
Been there, done that--next...