Carmen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carmen Reviews

April 23, 2015
the only survivor of this oft told opera
July 26, 2008
not really interested
June 3, 2007
Apparently, [i]everyone[/i] who directed films in the silent era did a version of [i]Carmen[/i], and quite a few directors of talkies, too. There are literally dozens of versions of this film listed in IMDB. (53, if you're curious.) It seems that half of them are in the silent era, though that's probably an exaggeration on my part.

This does not have the sweep of most DeMille productions. It's really quite intimate, even by non-DeMille standards. The tinting's a little weird--the picture turns yellow at times and red once or twice, in scenes of high passion. This may be a thing that's common in silent dramas, but most of the silent films I've seen are comedies, so I couldn't say.

Really, I don't have much to say about this. I will mention, however, that it's my understanding that higher-end screenings of this [i]Carmen[/i] included both orchestral and choral accompaniment, which makes a heck of a lot more sense than a normal silent version of this film. Seriously. Why so many silent productions of an opera?

In case you're wondering, yes, I [i]do[/i] write reviews of practically every movie I get from the library. I didn't review [i]Cane Toads: An Unnatural History[/i], and there've been a few I never did finish, but minus perhaps five or ten, if I've checked it out, you've read about it, at least for the length of this excursion through the catalog.