Hamlet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hamlet Reviews

½ August 29, 2014
This version of Hamlet is overrated, and the fault lies with the director Kenneth Branagh. He has a great script to work with, but he takes too many over-the-top liberties. He directs it like it is a play, it was originally a play, but he is not making a play here he is making a movie, and I don't think you understand that. He doesn't need to worry about conveying subtle nuances to the people in the back row.
This is best demonstrated in two scenes of the movie. One of those scenes is the play that Hamlet puts on for the king. Rather than simply speaking with those sitting around him, (Ophilia, the king and queen) he runs around the entire theater screaming at everyone. He even runs onto the stage during the play. The King barely notices the big reveal, because he's too busy watching Hamlet run around the theater as if he were training for a marathon, it is the epitome of ridiculous.
The other scene that outlines the absurdity of Kenneth's directing is with Ophilia. In order to show the audience that Ophilia has gone mad he puts her in a straight jacket and matching hat. It is as if he doesn't believe that the audience can pick up on her madness without those extreme visual aids. It is simply demeaning to the audience.
This movie got in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes with both critics and audiences; it is the perfect example of the emperor's new clothes syndrome. Because it is Shakespeare and because it is old everyone is too afraid to say that it's not great.
August 29, 2014
it was alright extremely long although
August 16, 2014
A spectacle of grandiose proportions. However, it was hard for me to cope with a Hamlet so far afield of the waxing poetic college student I always imagined him to be.
August 10, 2014
Excessive but wonderfully filmed and (mostly) brilliantly acted. Richard Briers portrayal of Polonius is the finest I have ever seen.
August 1, 2014
The first unabridged adaptation of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" is yet the finest adaptation of the play that we have ever come to know. Don't be put off by the 4-hour length, since the film wastes none of it at all.
½ June 26, 2014
A wonderful 19th century version of Hamlet. Long but worth sitting through.
June 21, 2014
oh Branagh. You have a wonderful style, and comprehensive structure, but you're pretentious as shit.
June 15, 2014
A Shakespeare adaptation doesn't get much better than this. Despite some awkward casting, Branagh's version of Hamlet does everything right. Great acting, awesome cinematography, and the film captures the sweeping emotion the play was originally going for.
May 19, 2014
Fantastic film. Very closely-resembles the play. Kenneth is a fantastic director and he directed/played Hamlet well. I loved the movie.
May 18, 2014
Simply put, this is an outstanding film on every level. Every character and performance is rich and deep with meaning and emotion. Given that this is Hamlet in its entirety, not a minute of screen time is wasted. Every actor, no matter how large or small the role, makes their moment(s) memorable. Kudos to Kenneth Branagh for delivering the gold standard in Shakespeare adaptations.
April 26, 2014
HOLY CRAP!!!!
First off, this movie is FOUR HOURS long [HOW did I miss that?]. Second, it barely seems that long. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this movie as much as I did. Even with the language being just like the book, it was still engaging and visually it is just stunning.
Glad I got to see this one.
½ March 26, 2014
Delicately and passionately directed and performed.
January 29, 2014
One of the best play to screen movies of all time. Almost word for word to the book, Kenneth Branagh plays the young prince Hamlet of Denmark perfectly. Every actor does a stunning performance. A must watch. Worth four hours to watch you ask? Oh yes, totally worth it.
January 26, 2014
There's so many memorable quotes in this drama, and it well executed by the most stunning performers. Well done.
January 21, 2014
So glad we watched the movie in class. It's a love letter to Shakespeare that's worth its 4 hours.
December 13, 2013
The first half feels much more compelling and interesting, but that might reflect the title character and his change over time.
December 7, 2013
Bloody brilliant. Hands down... no other rendition compares. I don't care if you think its over-rated or over-the-top... This is arguably the BEST version of Hamlet... Branagh does it again!
December 5, 2013
The worst rendition of Hamlet. Jack Lemon, Billy Crystal and Robin William's jokes fall flat. The extreme left does not let Charlton Heston shoot anything while Gerard Depardieu tries desperately to achieve best comedic role. Let alone Branagh's speech in which he calls the stratosphere a foul and petulant congregation of vapors. I do not need to mix my movies with and Kyoto treaties.
November 28, 2013
Although the play's setting is in one place (Blenheim Palace), Branagh proves in this movie how powerful he is as an actor.
November 13, 2013
One more retelling; one more version worth watching.