Mother - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother Reviews

February 8, 2017
Sweet, relatable and often hilarious. Debbie Reynolds' performance is pitch perfect.
½ January 4, 2017
Thanks to an Apple glitch may be the most expensive film I've ever watched. This film brought back memories of my grandmother who I seldom got to see and died almost 30 years ago. The recurring picture phone joke is great and at least a decade ahead of its time.
December 31, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Brilliantly captures, in dramatic and comedic dialogue, the sophisticated dynamics between mother and sons. I purchased four copies of the movie to lend to friends. Albert Brooks is genius in writing, acting and directing.
½ December 11, 2016
Admittedly sitcom-ish, but the dry wit is appealing.
½ September 22, 2016
A classic dysfunctional family at it's best!
July 12, 2016
Not Brooks' best film, but still solid.
½ May 1, 2015
Brooks has a winner on his hands in this awkwardly funny slice of life comedy.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ January 26, 2014
Marking a comeback for Debbie Reynolds and adding another worthy entry into Albert Brooks' filmography as a director, "Mother" is a delicious comedy that continually manages to remain relatable while still having a sense of humor. One would think a plot like this would never work - but Brooks' observant eye for comedy serves well.
Poor John (Brooks) - he is two-times divorced, an unsuccessful author, and far past his prime. We automatically pity him, because his situation hits close to home. As an author, John is continually looking towards new opportunities to snag a story, and after thinking it through many times, he decides that if he moves back in with his mother, Beatrice (Reynolds), he'll have a better understanding of himself.
If John and Beatrice had a good relationship, he'd never move back in with her - that's the point. He believes that her continuous disappointment in him (though not blatantly voiced) is the reason behind his limited success in marriage and his career. We can see it immediately, as Beatrice obviously favors John's brother, Jeff (Rob Morrow). As the film wears on, we only see a glimmer of what John might have gone through as a child, but in the end, it gives him the enlightenment he longs for.
"Mother" is an odd case because automatically one might think that it's going to be outrageous, possibly filled with stereotypes - the sex-obsessed mom, the neurotic son, etc. What's surprising is how natural and realistic each situation is, while still managing to be funny. Each situation, in some way or another, relates to something we've experienced with our own mother's, and it gives us the chance to look at our own life and laugh.
Brooks is a director not known for over-the-top comedy, but for the subtle kind, and "Mother" is no exception. Many scenes ring with anxious neuroses, and are so well-timed and written that we can't but watch in glee. The scene in which John goes through the food in Beatrice's kitchen, is so ridiculously well-shot that it is instantaneously memorable.
Brooks is a fine director, and is acting is just as good: instantly we like him because he is so similar to most members of society. But it's Reynolds who is magnificent, who is so flawless in her delivery that she automatically gives us the perception that Beatrice is one of those people that is nasty, but doesn't mean to be.
"Mother" is an unconventional comedy that works great despite its at-first unbelievable premise.
½ December 3, 2013
The majority of the fun of Mother is its relatability
October 9, 2013
Mother is a light comedy that focuses on personality. It's a quirky and enjoyable film. Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds also playoff each other well and their, sometimes awkward but silly, banter makes the film.
½ September 12, 2013
Another deadpan comedic masterpiece from Albert Brooks.
½ August 28, 2013
I was waiting for a standout here, but I'm pleased to say that both Brooks and Reynolds owned every scene they were in - and luckily, most of those scenes were together.
½ July 23, 2013
Way too often I come away from a movie thinking that I could have done that. Not this time. Brooks' "Mother" was excellent from start to finish. John Henderson, played by Brooks, says all the sarcastic things that we've always secretly wanted to and Debbie Reynolds' Beatrice plays perfectly our own mother that we all have those love and hate moments with. "Mother" never goes into sitcom territory, instead giving us very realistic situations and finding the avenues of humor within them. A wonderful movie.
½ April 18, 2013
Boy, does this one every hit close to home.

Mother was a great film. I am surprised that I had never heard of it before. The acting is superb and it all feels very really. And it is absolutely laugh out loud funny, without overtly trying to be. The humour comes from the oddites of every day life and relationships. And I have to say, it really cleared up a lot of things for me with my relationship with my own mother.
½ March 30, 2013
So charming. Debbie was fantastic!
December 22, 2012
Terrible! Poorly written and ridiculous ending! Don't waste your time or money. Two great actors brought down by a ridiculous story line.
December 7, 2012
MOTHER! more like granny tut tut!
November 24, 2012
The dialogue in this movie is so hilarious. My grandmother literally is Debbie Reynold's character. I even had that "salad" experience. So it's very relateable and I'm sure plenty of people know someone like that.
October 2, 2012
Brooks and Reynolds are perfect together and it's those little moments that makes it work.