Mother Reviews

• Jan 04, 2017

Thanks to an Apple glitch may be the most expensive film I've ever watched. This film brought back memories of my grandmother who I seldom got to see and died almost 30 years ago. The recurring picture phone joke is great and at least a decade ahead of its time.

• Dec 31, 2016

One of my favorite movies. Brilliantly captures, in dramatic and comedic dialogue, the sophisticated dynamics between mother and sons. I purchased four copies of the movie to lend to friends. Albert Brooks is genius in writing, acting and directing.

• Dec 10, 2016

Admittedly sitcom-ish, but the dry wit is appealing.

Admittedly sitcom-ish, but the dry wit is appealing.

• Sep 22, 2016

A classic dysfunctional family at it's best!

A classic dysfunctional family at it's best!

• Jul 12, 2016

Not Brooks' best film, but still solid.

Not Brooks' best film, but still solid.

• May 01, 2015

Brooks has a winner on his hands in this awkwardly funny slice of life comedy.

Brooks has a winner on his hands in this awkwardly funny slice of life comedy.

• Mar 21, 2014

Sweet, relatable and often hilarious. Debbie Reynolds' performance is pitch perfect.

• Jan 26, 2014

Marking a comeback for Debbie Reynolds and adding another worthy entry into Albert Brooks' filmography as a director, "Mother" is a delicious comedy that continually manages to remain relatable while still having a sense of humor. One would think a plot like this would never work - but Brooks' observant eye for comedy serves well. Poor John (Brooks) - he is two-times divorced, an unsuccessful author, and far past his prime. We automatically pity him, because his situation hits close to home. As an author, John is continually looking towards new opportunities to snag a story, and after thinking it through many times, he decides that if he moves back in with his mother, Beatrice (Reynolds), he'll have a better understanding of himself. If John and Beatrice had a good relationship, he'd never move back in with her - that's the point. He believes that her continuous disappointment in him (though not blatantly voiced) is the reason behind his limited success in marriage and his career. We can see it immediately, as Beatrice obviously favors John's brother, Jeff (Rob Morrow). As the film wears on, we only see a glimmer of what John might have gone through as a child, but in the end, it gives him the enlightenment he longs for. "Mother" is an odd case because automatically one might think that it's going to be outrageous, possibly filled with stereotypes - the sex-obsessed mom, the neurotic son, etc. What's surprising is how natural and realistic each situation is, while still managing to be funny. Each situation, in some way or another, relates to something we've experienced with our own mother's, and it gives us the chance to look at our own life and laugh. Brooks is a director not known for over-the-top comedy, but for the subtle kind, and "Mother" is no exception. Many scenes ring with anxious neuroses, and are so well-timed and written that we can't but watch in glee. The scene in which John goes through the food in Beatrice's kitchen, is so ridiculously well-shot that it is instantaneously memorable. Brooks is a fine director, and is acting is just as good: instantly we like him because he is so similar to most members of society. But it's Reynolds who is magnificent, who is so flawless in her delivery that she automatically gives us the perception that Beatrice is one of those people that is nasty, but doesn't mean to be. "Mother" is an unconventional comedy that works great despite its at-first unbelievable premise.

• Dec 03, 2013

The majority of the fun of Mother is its relatability

The majority of the fun of Mother is its relatability

• Oct 09, 2013

Mother is a light comedy that focuses on personality. It's a quirky and enjoyable film. Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds also playoff each other well and their, sometimes awkward but silly, banter makes the film.