Lord of the Wu Tang (Kung Fu Master) (Yi tian tu long ji: Zhi mo jiao jiao zhu) (The Evil Cult) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lord of the Wu Tang (Kung Fu Master) (Yi tian tu long ji: Zhi mo jiao jiao zhu) (The Evil Cult) Reviews

December 18, 2014
Review:
This movie started off promising, even though it had speedy subtitles, but it gets way to confusing. Like a lot of the Oriental movies that I have seen lately, I didn't know what clan was what and there was way too many characters. Some of the scenes were really bad, like the caped Batman character and the Buddha monk who had massive eyebrows. The action scenes also want way to far because they were flying like they had Superman powers. Once the plot started to get out of hand, I lost interest in the movie and I got fed up with reading the subtitles. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
When Jet Li gets his amazing powers, I was hoping that he was going to revenge his parents death like a proper hero, but the director really over complicated the storyline. I liked some of the old fighters with the big beards, but the action scenes wasn't that impressive. Although it was made in the early 90's it seemed to have an old look which made the movie seem authentic but I just couldn't keep up with who was good and who was bad. On the plus side, I liked the costumes and some of the scenery but that was about it.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: HK$10.4million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a man who learns a unique martial arts style so he can revenge the death of his parents. 2/10
April 28, 2014
Jet Li plays an orphan who is caught in the midst of a kung fu gang war. He eventually masters enough martial arts to bring the various sects into line, but a corrupt government official begins meddling. The Evil Cult is an over-the-top wushu flick that features wacky fights, sped-up camera tricks, and lots of wire stunts coordinated by Sammo Hung. This zany fantasy film may not be to everyone's taste, but it's worth hunting down if one enjoys madcap melee sequences.
March 13, 2014
Classic Kung Fu movie with many great fight scenes and amazing special effects for its time. However the film ends on a cliffhanger which ends up robbing it of some of it's majesty, considering a sequel was never made!
January 25, 2014
good jet li chop sokky actioner
December 17, 2013
This is one of the very very very best Jet Lee movies. The same goes for the director.
August 11, 2013
There should be a sequel to this one & more movies like this out there but not too much over doing the wire work or computerized stuff.
½ June 20, 2013
A classic Jet Li joint, it's great to see him work with Sammo Hung. Compacting the story of "The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber" into one movie makes the plot unusually complex. It might be better suited to be a TV series, which it has been, seven times. Hung's choreography and Wong's direction work well together. Chingmy Yau is a big plus, Richard Ng provides comic relief.
½ March 31, 2013
Overtime I lost my flame with this movie, but it still does enough to bring the whole thing home with its fighting sequences.
February 7, 2013
83%
This is my favourite Jet Li film, the story is complicated enough and there are lots of plot twists. One thing I like most about the Jet Li films is that there are lots of killings in it, then this one should be the most brutal of all.
November 16, 2012
Another bad ass movie starring Jet Li. There's a scene where Jet Li is so flexible that its impossible that most people would quit. He bends his body backwards to the point that someone with no skills would die immediately. Unbelievable kung fu fighting that will keep your eyes glue to the screen. Very Interesting movie & plot that you don't want to bothered by anything or anyone ,even a phone ring or insect passing by will be of annoyance & very bothersome.
June 4, 2012
THIS ONE IS A SHOW STOPPER
½ October 30, 2011
A crazy wuxia martial arts fantasy with a great cast. Jet Li's parents were killed, and he learns magical kung fu from a man trapped in a boulder to fight them. He also has a good looking sidekick, a villainess with eyes for him, and multiple clans killing each other with betrayals galore. High on style but not on plot, an entertaining movie if nothing else.
July 4, 2011
Kinda like mortal kombat of chinese martial arts film of the 90's big budget and lots of popular cast.
½ April 18, 2011
sharla and chingmy have made this film good to see...
I love both of them
½ December 12, 2010
I saw this wonderfully insane Wong Jing actioner on the HK import dvd under its title KUNG FU CULT MASTER and loved every crazy minute of it, which is why I was saddened to learn that its mediocre box office stopped them from making the sequel necessary to complete the story. It cuts off rather abruptly at the end with a lot of loose threads left hanging.
It's based off a popular novel (or series of novels?), so I'll have to eventually see one of the other film/tv adaptations to see how the story turns out, but it just won't be quite the same. Sure it's ridiculously over the top, even for a Wong Jing film, but with Jet Li and (Wong Jing movies' regular sexy starlet) Chingmy Yau, how can you go wrong?
½ February 21, 2010
Once again, Jet Li loves nice looking women to act in his movie.
Good movie, when you watch Jet Li's movie, he always have nice women in the movie.
½ June 7, 2009
old time classic,well directed
May 2, 2009
this movie is badass
April 6, 2009
Pretty average by Jet Li's standards, but what can one do when Jing Wong is directing? Entertaining as a wuxia film, but the dub track is awful.
½ March 18, 2009
about as perfect a film you can have