Traveller Reviews

• May 12, 2015

Draws you in with good humor and a fine story and the acting is first rate to boot.

• Jeffrey M Super Reviewer
    Jul 11, 2012

Traveller does a number of things well, with some funny scenes, strong performances, and a unique overall take on the "con game" subculture. At the same time, I did find the script to be at parts underwritten, and at parts overwritten. We never quite fully appreciate the clan, or how it impacted Wahlberg's father, making many of the character motivations murky. The ending also lost its way, with so many twists that the believability factor that the film had most of its run grew thin. The flaws are ultimately outweighed though, by the film's world building; the subculture, though not entirely fleshed out, feels real, the cons they play (predominately), feel oddly tired but effective. The world the film creates feels equally tragic, funny, and fascinating. 3/5 Stars

• Jun 16, 2012

I found this indie drama captivating. I enjoy Paxton, Wahlberg and Margulies separately, and together they meshed very well. The lifestyle of the Irish gypsies was interesting, however the movie could have delved into the subject a little more deeply. The cons run by the family were believable; the big swindle not so much. Knew how it was going to end though. Better than average, especially for an indie.

• Apr 29, 2012

Not a bad little movie...interesting culture to examine. Even one scam I was surprised by, it got so twisty good. Sort of an abrupt ending though, that's always a disappointment for me. Bu toverall, it was good enough, for a late night movie when nothing else was on.

• Mar 06, 2012

Not much of a plot. The acting is pretty good and there is a message at the end.

• Jan 15, 2012

I loved it because there practices are commonplace and not often depicted in film

• Fascade F Super Reviewer
    Dec 19, 2011

Really cool smooth drama about a swindling gypsy (Bill Paxson) named Bokky Sherlock, that is the head swindler in the family of Irish clan who works for (Luke Askew) Boss Jack Costello. In turns for loyalty to the clan whatever they collect out of their swildlings, a percentage must be returned to care for the clan as well as protection for kinfolk. Sure as it turns out, a young man (Mark Wahlberg) Pat O'Hara comes home to bury his father only to find resentment from the same folks that gave him a livelihood. Boss Jack Costello is against Pat O'Hara's staying because his father turned his back on the family, to find his true love outside the brood. Before matters can get any worse, Bokky steps in to take Pat in under his wing to show him the way of the clan, against Boss Jack's advised wishes. This movie really holds you in as the deeper the scams get the more interesting the story unravels...into an untimely, yet bloody ending. Timelessly interesting..with a catchy beginning "King Of The Road" tune. See this, it is not that bad!

• Jul 05, 2011

So this is the one movie about con artists that surprises the audience by NOT having one last reversal at the end? The $40,000 Julianna Margulies needs for her daughter's ear surgery is really for ear surgery? Also Bill Paxton is a pretty terrible actor.

• Mar 31, 2011

Ok ok I know I'm late on this one but its a decent movie if unoriginal with "hints"of comedy in these losers grandiose dreams.

• Aug 24, 2009

Pretty good. I watched it because I work in Loss Prevention, so we have to deal with Irish Travellers quite a bit. Interesting to see inside some of the games they play...and Jean was stupid for letting such a shady individual into her and her daughter's lives. Just sayin'. And Mark Wahlberg was such a baby-face back then!! Haha.