The Van - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Van Reviews

May 23, 2016
It's fair deadly so it is.
January 22, 2016
Based on the 1991 novel by Roddy Doyle, the final novel in his Barrytown Trilogy, and directed by Stephen Frears, who had directed another Doyle adaption, The Snapper (1993), and filmed this while Mary Reilly (1996) was delayed in post production. It's a good adaption, with a lot of local humour and colour you would expect from Dublin. It has a good cast, and it is a good look at working class life in Ireland. Set in 1990, in the run up to and during the World Cup, Brendan "Bimbo" Reeves (Donal O'Kelly) has just been laid off from his job as a baker. On a whim, Bimbo buys an old fish and chip van, which has no engine and is absolutely filthy. But Bimbo gets it up and running, and goes off selling fish and chips with his best friend Larry (Colm Meaney). It proves to be a lucrative business, especially as Ireland are going well throughout the World Cup, and Bimbo and Larry end up getting a lot of business. But the years long friendship between Bimbo and Larry is put to the test when Bimbo's wife Maggie (Ger Ryan) gets involved in the enterprise. It's a good comedy-drama, and Meaney acted in every film in the Barrytown Trilogy, playing a different character in each film though. But, it does end a tad abruptly, but maybe that's the point, and Doyle captures the locations and characters perfectly. Oh, and look out for Brendan O'Carrol, (Mrs. Brown) in a quick cameo.
April 27, 2014
Not the best Irish comedy I have ever seen by a long shot. i wanted to punch Larry and the rest was just boring.
½ March 17, 2014
Eric Broome
"I've always game for those droll little UK comedies",
Eric if you're going to speak about a movie disparagingly, at least know what country you are talking about. Try reading a book. Moron.
September 9, 2012
A film with a great plot line and very interesting story of two friends. The finest of the Barrytown Trilogy films!
May 30, 2012
Now, I love Roddy Doyle's writing. In both his novels and his screenplays he gives us well-rounded, warm and interesting characters. The two other films in the trilogy, The Commitments and Snapper are choc-a-block with these rich, well drawn creations, and so is The Van, so no complaint there. But there is a problem.
Unlike the other films, The Van feels stretched; that is to say that it feels as if there's not enough story really to warrant a feature film. The material is good (I wouldn't expect anything else from Doyle), but it seems to run out of steam quite a way from the end.
March 11, 2012
Still very funny although it has aged a little. Very good Irish film but not on the Guard level.
July 2, 2011
A new movie, new names for the Rabbitte-family. This time Larry (Jimmy Rabbitte, snr.) is unemployed. When his best buddy Bimbo befalls the same fate, they start to develop a plan to get some money.

Since it is World Cup time, the idea of having an own van to sell fast food sounds brilliant! Everyone wants fish & chips, or a burger after a soccer game. While Larry is very satisfied with things and how they are, Bimbo wants more. He wants to expand, he wants money and he soon wants to be the boss of the van. And they get a little trouble with the health authorities.

"Kevin: I'm a vegetarian.
Larry: What? Since when?
Kevin: Tuesday."
½ December 15, 2010
Une comedie humaniste sur l'amitie, la biere, et le foot dans l'Irelande de la Coupe du Monde 1990.
Stephen Frears filme cette histoire, vraie temoignage d'une epoque socialement difficile, a hauteur d'hommes.
Prestation splendide de Colm Meaney.
Pour la petite histoire, a noter que la musique est signee Eric Clapton.
November 30, 2010
the story of a beautiful male friendship: Colm Meaney is awesome as usual and does pretty much all the job. Enjoyed the movie also thanks to my last summer spent in Ireland. Jaysus, gotta love 'em!
August 10, 2010
(Watched Wed 13 May 2009)
July 25, 2010
La camioneta [1996]
½ November 6, 2009
Pretty good. It just can't compare with 'The Commitments'.
½ October 31, 2009
I've always game for those droll little UK comedies, but this one notably disappointed me. Superficial and lightweight. Doesn't resonate as emotionally true. And Donal O'Kelly is not appealing at all. Another major problem: drunken Irish accents. I'd say that I understood about 95% of this film's dialogue, but no more than that.
July 10, 2009
Average comedy / drama that never excites but goes about its business without too much fuss.
½ June 21, 2009
Herregud! Gi meg styrke. Gir meg selv 5 stjerner for ikke å ha skrudd av filmen. Glipper på alt hele veien, og humoren er så krampaktig som klovner på sirkus.
May 15, 2009
Stephen Frears is probably one of the UK's most underated directors and he is also one with a large canon of Interesting work.

Even his weaker films such as Mary Reiley and The Hi Lo country and watchable.

Here is the 3rd part of writer Roddy Doyles Barrytown trilogy which includes The Commitments and Frears own The Snapper.

When Bimbo is made redundant by his bakery ,he and his friend Larry (a fantastic Colm Meany) decide to start a burger business during the 1990 world cup.

The story is packed full of laugh out loud moments and memorable dialogue "Its a fookin turkey or nothing" .
But also thanks do Frears assured direction you warm to Doyles Characters and wish tem every success.

The cast is great and Eric Claptons score is the cherry on top of an already excellent movie.

A great Irish gem from Frears and one which leaves a big smile on your face afterwards
February 21, 2009
Starts slowly then turns into a likeable Irish tale of friendship put under strain with a 1990 World Cup background. Not however as powerful as The Commitments though on a par with The Snapper.
½ February 21, 2009
"f" Great film and trilogy.
I 'lll start reading Doyle's books now.
October 9, 2008
very good irish movie to pass the time