Trial and Error - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trial and Error Reviews

August 17, 2016
A lawyer gets drunk when his goofy actor friend throws him a bachelor party and the following day his buddy fills in as the attorney during an important trial. Director Jonathan Lynn is usually reliable at the helm of comedies. but here he seems confused of how to balance the uneven script.
August 3, 2016
nice little film as an incompetent barrister is asked to defend a wife murderer. good chemistry between sellers and attenborough
½ May 24, 2016
Trial And Error is hilarious sporadically from start to finish and makes the comedic pairing between Michael Richards and Jeff Daniels undeniably funny.
½ May 12, 2015
Borrows from My Cousin Vinny,too bad it couldn't borrow the jokes.
½ November 22, 2014
Very funny and good characters good movie once it gets going dope scenes
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Spring 2007)
March 3, 2014
A zany outrageous court room comedy about Kramer from Seinfield the out there actor unintentionally becoming the professional lawyer & Jeff Daniels the Lawyer becoming the bohemian.

Filled with some crazy court scenes many too far fetched & over the top but many quite funny.

It's an easy watch that's just fun & you got to go with it...also Charlize Theoren has never looked more glamorous in her supporting role.
½ February 16, 2014
This movie was a fine comedy. I laughed - which is obviously the first sign of a decent comedy - even though the storyline was a bit ridiculous and it could've been funnier. Charlize Theron was, here, a fantastic supporting actress. The only casting downside would be Jeff Daniels. I have to admit that I was disappointed. His acting skills (shown here) were not worthy of this starring role. Or perhaps it is simply the character's fault. I can't figure that out yet.
July 29, 2013
Funny comedy duo of Straight man Jeff Daniels and goofball Michael Richards highlight this story about a swindler who must be defended by an actor pretending to be his lawyer after a bachelor party mishap. Not bad comedy with some predictable results and romantic subplot thrown in for good measure.
½ July 14, 2013
Okay, the movie isn't perfect in many ways, but even when it's called a carbon copy on the director's earlier attempt when it came to the premise of a movie, it still managed to entertain, even when it's been done before.
½ April 21, 2013
A forgottn gem. Michael Richards post Seinfeld projects should have been more like this movie.
½ March 2, 2013
As a law student, I thought the court scenes were hilarious (the "expert" testimony for example). Richards also gets to showcase his superhuman limberness. I believe this film might be anachronistic, because it is more in the vein of Capra's "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "It's a Wonderful Life."
½ January 22, 2013
So not good and I really, really love Michael Richards.
November 13, 2012
You know a movie is bad when Michael Richards is billed above Jeff Daniels & Charlize Theron.
½ October 27, 2012
Michael Richards in full Kramer mode as an actor who subs for his passed out friend in court and ends up playing lawyer for the full trial. I would have enjoyed more scenes of Richards tripping over garbage cans.
September 8, 2012
considering all the talent this project had to offer its a shame nothing really comes together. the main issues are the mismatched pairing of Richards & Daniels which doesn't work. Richards doesn't really offer the humour he does from Seinfeld which is why this film stayed off everyones rader back on its release.
Daniels has proven he is capable of comedy roles but he is unable to inject anything remotely resembling a likable character. Theron is quite good in a thankless role but allows Daniels to share some meaningful screen time with.
I really wanted to like this film but it is poorly directed and the jokes miss more then they hit.
August 22, 2012
Trial and Error was actually alright in the end. The main plot was stupid and the film loses it's focus on it, but the subplots weren't half bad. Also, I enjoyed Jeff Daniels and Michael Richards performances, especially the latter because i saw a part of him stepping outside of the Seinfeld box.

The general direction of the film is weak and the trial that is going on is a rather stupid one with no true resolution at the end, but the dramatic elements of the film are more enjoyable than the comedic ones overall.
½ August 9, 2012
Okay comedy with a witty title. Jeff Daniels and Michael Richards make a good mismatched-buddy team, and to his credit after the first 15 minutes Richards manages to inhabit his character without too many reminders of Kramer. Charlize Theron is very winning in an early supporting role as Daniels' love interest. Seems they forgot this was a comedy after an hour, instead adding an ill-advised romance between Richards and Jessica Steen who actually provides a worthy adversary.

Final verdict: with plenty of opportunities for satire or slapstick available, it should have been funnier.
June 7, 2012
the biggest flaw of this film is Charlize Theron not getting enough screen time
May 2, 2012
5/2/2012: not a bad movie!