Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contact Reviews

½ March 20, 2016
It's interesting to find a movie that shows two characters perspectives on the same event. Well acted and directed, there really isn't anything negative to say about it.
March 17, 2016
Started off very good but sadly became worse and worse as it went on.
½ March 11, 2016
This is a movie that I had never heard of before finding it on Netflix and now that I've watched it, I'm actually very impressed. It's a very unique sci-fi film. On one hand, it's a very long movie and feels it. The pacing here is very slow and for that reason alone, this is not a movie for everyone. On top of that, there's a strong religious aspect to this movie that might turn some viewers off. As a staunch athiest, I actually really liked this element of it, although I think they took it a bit far in select parts. This is not to say that it's ABOUT religion, but still, that aspect of it is certainly there.

What really impressed me is despite the fact that it looked really dated (by its CG and the actors' clothes/hair and whatnot), the reactions of the different types of characters to the presence of an alien signal getting in contact with humanity was surprisingly realistic. From the sleazy politicians only wanting to capitalize on it for their own gain to the military people assuming the worst case scenario to the public taking different stances based on their personal beliefs and religions, it all felt to me like what might actually happen if a scenario like this ever arose. Does that mean it's ALL realistic? No. It takes considerable liberties with certain things and 1 or 2 of the performances felt a little overdone, but overall it's a sci-fi movie with a shockingly real world slant (at least until the end).

I feel like I should really dislike this movie, as certain core elements to it are things that normally would turn me off to watching it, but in the end I thought it was a really great movie. Borderline fantastic actually, despite how dated it may look today. If you're a fan of sci-fi and have the patience to stick with its slow pacing, this is definitely one to check out.
March 5, 2016
Focuses on thought provoking ideas and doesn't overdo it on special effects.
February 22, 2016
Want to watch this again!
February 11, 2016
Pretty decent sci-fi flick. It reminded me of Interstellar, before Interstellar.
February 3, 2016
A movie that really needs to have a couple of views to digest the material.
It explores some pretty big topics such as Science and Religion.
Jodie Foster is fantastic as a doctor who works for STE searching for extraterrestrial life or signals of.
One night she recieves a signal in a pretty intense scene.
From there the movie builds a mystery at just what the signal is, where it came from, and how it should be handled.
The tension is great, and the results are even better.
You are always wondering throughout the movie what is going to happen.

It's very unpredictable.
Foster and McConaughey are awesome and
I thought the message in the final payoff, while encourages you to think, is gratifying.
½ January 23, 2016
It would have been a great movie if they hadn't brought religion into it. But it's not too heavy on that so I'll pretend it wasn't there. And I also don't like not having answers, so not happy with the ending.
Positives: SETI.
Negatives: Religion and the lack of answers at the end.
½ January 22, 2016
½ January 10, 2016
When it isn't ridiculous, cloying or making me ask questions I shouldn't really even be asking in a movie like this, its really worth it. The climax takes its time to find its way to the screen, but this works to its credit due to it being so damn when it gets there.
½ December 15, 2015
Those who think that Interstellar is a masterpiece should watch this film 10 times.
November 27, 2015
Faith killed it in the end
November 12, 2015
The film is entertaining enough. I had massive issues with the length of the film; the first hour relentless in its backstory. The film takes place between the crossroads of science, politics and religion and offers an intriguing take on how they behave with one another. The choice of making Jodie Foster's character an atheist has to also be applauded considering this was 1997. The film took a preachy tone towards the end and I still do not understand Matthew Mcconaughey's character. He is a writer who somehow manages to be there for all the big meetings in the White House.

An acceptable sci-fi film that just took forever to lift off.
October 13, 2015
This was the first time I had seen the film after reading Carl Sagan's novel about 18 months ago. I love the message of the film, I love feeling as though the story is a portal into the mind of Sagan. Jodie Foster plays Ellie Arroway perfectly, strong yet vulnerable and honest. I can't remember if, in the novel, religion is treated as even handedly in the film but the character of Drumlin certainly winds me up; a great, underhanded bad guy. One note of interest, it's a shame that Zemeckis decided to leave out Hadden's radio invention that mutes the adverts when listening to radio shows.
October 11, 2015
Pretty much a yearly re-watch for me. It's science over fiction and it's all the better for it. Zemeckis knows how to construct brilliant shots and uses CGI to its fullest to deliver a thrilling political/theological debate that only slips into sci-fi in the final act. A great film.
September 22, 2015
Incredible acting all around, especially from Jodie Foster. She really capture the quirky, slightly socially awkward, science-genius thing. Whether she was sad or flustered or in awe, it was awesome that you saw her character going through it all. I haven't seen a lot of movies with her, but she always seems to portray a very different person. All to often in film we see an actor speak the same, move the same, exercise the same mannerisms and idiosyncrasies. Not her. What was also amazing about this film is that it was clearly a secularist/naturalist sort of movie where God was given a polite wink and a nod as maybe existing. But the very argument where a scientist can't believe in God because there's no evidence irregardless of the countless number of EXPERIENCES people have had with God gets turn on its head when the scientist of the film has an experience that everyone must take on faith in order to believe because there's no evidence. The entire thing is chalked up to a fabrication and a hoax. Yet it doesn't make what she saw and witness any less real. And like with her situation where there may very well have been some sort of evidence... with God there is plenty of evidence (aside from the experiences) if people are willing to humbly examine it and logically think it through. Occam's razor was discussed in the film, and the most reasonable explanation for everything is indeed that the God of the Bible has created everything and revealed Himself through His Son and through His Word, and it's foolish to think all of it was invented and all the evidence was fabricated.
½ September 18, 2015
Whatever you might take away from Contact, it leaves you stimulated and asking for more. A sci-fi classic.
September 12, 2015
Brilliant concept well presented. Loved it.
½ September 2, 2015
[7.86/10 ] I really like the build up to the first launch, then I got a bit disappointed by the suicide bomber... That part wasn't really nessessary, felt like it's done so people that "complain about this film is not realistic enough bla de bla" can shut up. I also like how they did the wormhole and the way the other species downloaded her brain to make it easy for her. I was little bit frustrated about the trail until they realise the number of hours recorder. Overall a very good film, not much boring scene. Got recommended to watch it after interstellar. Interstellar still have higher score IMO.
½ August 24, 2015
First half was compelling. Punches are pulled in the end and the usual Hollywood feel-good stuff comes on strong. The sappiness can only be found in these mid to late 1990s films, before 9-11 showed America to be vulnerable.