Buddy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buddy Reviews

May 1, 2017
Reasonable family entertainment, but it didn't especially move or delight me. (First and only full viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ May 3, 2015
Overly cute and just plain silly with a lost in the wilderness performance from Russo.
½ April 24, 2014
A childish and forgettable movie.
January 3, 2014
I didn't think it could be as bad as the reviews painted it, but it was worse. Dianne Fosse died for nothing! if this movie is good. For once the critics and I agree. Not only does it set animal rights back to the dark ages (actually, animals had it better then), but it gives the impression as well that chimps are lovable, cuddly children, when we now know what a total fallacy that is--chimps can be violent, are terribly strong and actually go to war against other groups of chimps. It is movies like this that convince some people that chimps are great pets and then they kill people. That this flick purports to be a true story only makes it's wrong ideas worse. If you have to make such a film, Mighty Joe Young is a better choice--at least it doesn't make any bones about being fantasy and has the animal being taken back to the wild in the end.
½ October 23, 2013
It was a pretty enjoyable, touching and very entertaining live action family film. It had very great cinematography, great cast, comedy, drama, adventure, music, very well done costumes and a very familiar plot. I first rented this movie at Blockbuster. It was a great start from Jim Henson Pictures. Both kids and adults will enjoy this movie.
½ January 3, 2013
Cute but Predictable.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
September 19, 2012
not that good, but not that bad either.
½ September 12, 2012
superbly shot and directed film, it tells the story of the woman gertrude lintz, who owned a gorilla, which is interesting in itself, but then the drama of keeping him protected comes in, and the film really kicks off. robbie coltrane slides into a nice supporting role with enthusiasm, and rene russo demonstrates her admirable acting skills. delightful film.
August 12, 2012
Despite not living up to expectations, the proceedings are elevated by strong performances Rene Russo, Robbie Coltrane and Alan Cumming. A tale that's best directed to animal lovers.
½ March 26, 2012
Nothing is too great about this one. Rene Russo's performance is lackluster in comparison to most of her other films, and the guy in the gorilla suit just was too much for me.
January 11, 2012
Cute animals make for a passable family film. The animatronic baby gorilla and gorilla costume worn by an actor as Buddy matures are believable effects. Rene Russo is a oddball woman of the 30's who feels more at home being a mother to her apes than interacting with other humans in society. And yet it is really a very human coming of age story. It is a very familiar plot with a mother raising an orphan, neglecting her other children and struggling to let the favorite out of the nest, while the orphan son struggles with acceptance, hormones and finding his own place in the world. The movie has some heartwarming moments, but also a lot of hokey scenes and dialogue.
½ December 6, 2011
sweet movie. i can see meself being her...

neither me nor me mom really understand what happened to Buddy though after the circus thing or w/e it was (i forget). maybe the noise of the place got to him so bad that when she startled him in the kitchen......... he was still stressed out, and they figured the best thing for him was to simply let him live in the zoo... ?
December 4, 2011
Buddy is a disappointing film. It is about a socialite who raises a gorilla as her son. Rene Russo and Robbie Coltrane were the only good things in this film. The screenplay is based on a true story but lacks a narrative. Caroline Thompson did a horrible job directing this movie. I would not recommend watching Buddy.
½ May 17, 2011
Well.............

When I'm unwell with flu, or some such... I get very emotional & weepy and watch wishy washy sentimental films...

I watched this on such an occasion.

It's left me speechless to be perfectly frank... not sure whether to admire or loathe it!
½ May 1, 2011
Loved it! So cute...
March 28, 2011
This film is just awful. I mean really bad. The film is very sloppy, uninteresting, and just...terrible. The film offers no real climax, or emotional backbone to the characters and sometimes the film goes off and does something unrelated to the story in a poor pathetic attempt to make the film longer. I also kind of surprised how dark the film got for a family film. The acting is okay, and the animals are well trained, and those are the only positive things I can say about this film. Also, since this was based on a true story, I wondered about how much of this was actually true and how much of it actually hapened. If I had to guess, I would say that 87% of this film didn't even happen at all. This is a pathetic and uninteresting piece of cinema.
½ February 22, 2011
I watched this movie with steadily mounting incredulity. I was trying to find the category for it, and there isn't one. The posters make it look like a madcap family film about a zany couple and their lovable pets. But in a family film you don't expect subtle but unmistakable sexual undertones. Nor is it a serious wildlife film like ``Gorillas in the Mist.''

VERDICT: "Some Ole' Bulls**t" - Second lowest rating in the system (Negative reaction). These films are truly terrible films. They are not the worst things ever made, but they are definitely awful and should not be seen by anyone.
February 14, 2011
It's cute enough, I guess
½ January 29, 2011
Insanely sappy and overcooked, not to mention racist and disturbing.