Hercules - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hercules Reviews

July 25, 2017
James Woods as Hades. Need I say more? And Danny DeVito too. This adaptation of the mythological figure isn't one of the best films in the Disney Renaissance but it's far from the worst. With brightly coloured animation, fun musical numbers, a healthy dose of humour and tons of fun, Hercules remains a winner in its own right. Witness Disney, through the titular protagonist, make fun of how most of their movies are beloved by many and results in tons of merchandising being sold. A group of catchy songs as well. Not as catchy as other films in the Renaissance but the Greek, Spice Girls-like narrator ladies sing a bunch of good songs. Especially that Zero to Hero song. While not a true Disney classic, most audiences, whether or not they've read and/or done their research on Greek mythology are likely to have a blast. That CGI Hydra was the best technologically advanced thing I've seen since the wildebeest stampede in The Lion King. I can't read my Rick Riordan books now without having James Woods speaking in my head whenever Hades is present.
July 18, 2017
It's probably one of Disneys weaker movies but still a solid animated movie.
July 8, 2017
Funny, light-hearted and further bolstered by a great cast, Hercules is not a perfect Disney movie, but certainly a strong one.
June 27, 2017
While this film is somewhat stale compared to other Disney hits, its consistent animation alongside it's well written story makes this film a classic.
½ June 26, 2017
Sure its more interested in making modern references then in telling the tale of Hercules but it was still a rather fun watch. Especially liked James Woods as Hades. Fun villain to see after so many "serious" baddies.
½ June 18, 2017
There's undeniable narrative flaws that keep this movie from ranking as a Disney classic but, for what it is, Hercules is a fun, well voice acted picture that has plenty of enjoyable qualities that make up for its faults.
June 15, 2017
I loved this animated Hercules. Good job Disney.
½ June 1, 2017
Hercules doesn't grip like many Disney films do, but it is still fun.
May 28, 2017
One of my most favorite movies as a kid! I love of all of the songs in as well! Would recommend anyone to watch it!
May 28, 2017
One of my most favorite movies as a kid! I love all of the songs in it!
May 6, 2017
The blatant mythological inaccuracies may be distracting for some viewers, but the characters are funny and have a lot of charm, the animation is appealingly fast-paced, the action scenes are very exciting to watch, and the gospel soundtrack is just a ton of fun to listen to.
May 3, 2017
A good movie with good singing and Hercules is a good classic!
½ April 21, 2017
One of, if not, the best Disney films ever made. The vocal talents of James Woods, Danny DeVito, Tate Donovan, and Rip Torn are all spot on. The music isn't the best work Disney has put out, but the movie itself is downright amazing. The tale of a son trying to regain his heroism to return home is one that has been told before. However, the way this one is told just feels fresh and new. James Woods as Hades is perfect casting. It is on the level as James Earl Jones as Darth Vader. I can't imagine anyone else playing the role of Hades. Great job Disney on this perfection. If anyone likes Greek mythology then this is a great, kid friendly, version of it.
½ April 9, 2017
Kind of forgettable. It has good music, and a good hero. Your basic 90's Disney animated movie. A pretty gun movie for families.
½ March 16, 2017
I saw this as an adult and that is perhaps why it was not as exciting for me. It was still pretty good as far as Disney movies go, but I was not wowed. Still worth seeing though.
½ March 2, 2017
Well animated, funny flick.
January 22, 2017
What Hercules lacks in its characterization and gravitas it makes up for with its fun, humor, and music.
January 22, 2017
I shouldn't like this one as much as i do. Its the start of the Disney creative decline of the late 90s early 2000s. its full of 90s pop culture references to almost make it unintelligable for modern children. it's voice casting is so desperate to recapture Robin Williams' genie that it gets a familiar comic voice for damn near every character and its animation seems more cartoony than Disney normally does in its features.

Yet theres just something about it. The voices are all comedic but you can't ask for better voice acting than Rip Torn as Zeus, James Woods as an amazing Hades and Danny Devito as Phil. its simplicity in art design merges Disney and ancient Greek art as much as possible. Hercules like its titular hero has heart and despite all these failings it goes the distance.
January 7, 2017
the best animation film of disney
½ December 13, 2016
A gospel themed musical score!? Really Disney!? Sign.....
Since when was this certified fresh at 83%!? What the heck did the top critics see in this film which I didn't!?
The only tiny bit of credit I would give this movie, is James Woods as Hades, because he's one of my favorite actors. If it wasn't for him, we would have never had the term, "what are those?" Still, the film is not that memorable. It just feels like a large egg with a hollow shell!