Fire Down Below - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire Down Below Reviews

½ November 13, 2016
As usual, the Hollywood critics don't know a good movie that has become a cult classic like "Road House". Steven Seagal shows his human side, as well as his "Kick Ass" side. The original script hits home and shows how a common man can beat government corruption.
April 20, 2016
It was another Steven seagal movie. This one had a actual plot with different types of characters and was a lot more fun to watch. The action was solid. But as usual the acting and dialogue was poor.
December 15, 2015
AKA-- on deadly ground 2
½ May 8, 2015
Seagal does what he does best....make near impossible to watch movies.
January 30, 2015
No, just kidding, it was a piece of shit. Couldn't watch till the end. It was playing on TV so don't judge me!!!!!
½ December 22, 2014
"As sure as you're standing here right now, I'll show you a new meaning to the word 'violation!'" classic
½ September 15, 2014
Although I knew Fire Down Below would be a mere Steven Segal fare, I had hopes for some good action which I figured couldn't be too much to ask for.

Fire Down Below is clearly one of Steven Seagal's better meaning films because it is another environmental action film from the environmentalist himself. And I always found that while the film was far from great, On Deadly Ground was an entertaining and well meaning action film. I thought that considering Fire Down Below had a higher budget and was mildly more popular with critics, perhaps it had some potential as a guilty pleasure.
It's difficult to believe that Fire Down Below had a larger budget than On Deadly Ground because the technical characteristics of the film are way inferior. The scenery in the film is nice but it is pretty basic, the cinematography is thoroughly uncreative and the scale of the film is far too minimal. This does not compare to the setting of On Deadly Ground or its technical characteristics, and considering that On Deadly Ground was critically panned, the fact that Fire Down Below suffers by comparison really says something about the film. I guess I can't complain too much that the technical characteristics of Fire Down Below lack creativity because it is just another Steven Segal film. But considering the size of its budget, there is more to expect from it which it fails to deliver on. I really cannot for the life of me figure out where the $60 million budget for Fire Down Below actually went because the film is inferior in quality both in terms of story, meaning, technical quality and acting. Of course when I say acting, I exclude Steven Seagal because at least he doesn't try and fail at doing an accent this time like he did in On Deadly Ground. But nevertheless, Fire Down Below remains a dull and far inferior film. All the success of the film is essentially predicated on the quality of the action because fans of Steven Seagal should usually be able to give up on a sensible story, good acting or an intelligent script if it means they can have the fun experience of seeing him kick some major ass. In Fire Down Below, there is none of that. None.
One of the most central differences between On Deadly Ground and Fire Down Below was that On Deadly Ground was an explosive action film with touches of social commentary. In Fire Down Below, it is all about the commentary and comes up short on action in terms of both quality and quantity. What action there is in On Deadly Ground has some minor decent moments, but as a whole it is the same basic punch and shoot that you get in every direct to DVD Steven Seagal film. The action is of pretty low quality for a film with such a massive budget, and none of the actors seem interested in where the project is going or really seem to care all that much. Fire Down Below spends too much time taking itself seriously to remember that it should be going out to fans, and so a lot of the blame in the film can be attributed to the lacklustre direction of Felix Enriquez Alcala. There is a reason that you've never heard of that name before, and its because he managed to somehow take a large budget of $60 million and throw it in the most unpredictable places which leaves the film looking so weak, lifeless and dull. Fire Down Below spends too much time trying to make comments about the way that corrupt officials treat the environment and too little time trying to entertain actual fans of Steven Seagal films, and so it ends up as nothing more than a lifeless vanity project.
The scene where Steven Seagal gives a speech at the local church is a mix between the famous church scene from the Western classic High Noon and the infamous speech that Steven Seagal gave in On Deadly Ground, but it fails to come close to having the meaning of either film. So even for a bare basic action film, Fire Down Below finds itself being derivative of other works which both do and don't feature Steven Seagal in them. Either way, it fails to live up to them . So Fire Down Below not only has a premise which is overly familiar due to being used excessively in many superior and a few inferior action films, but it has moments which genuinely seem taken from other films. Either way, it is far away from such a thing as originality and familiar with derivation.
Fire Down Below does not make use of half Steven Segal's abilities. His acting talent is not something that bothers me, but Fire Down Below barely has Steven Seagal make use of any of the Aikido he has spent his life mastering. It asks him to pull a tiny amount of triggers, but that is all. It is pathetic. The film has the star from Under Siege, On Deadly Ground and many other half decent films, yet it just wastes him on such a boring and pathetic excuse for an action film which is nowhere near the quality of his better works. I don't care what anyone says, On Deadly Ground is a far better film than this pile of crap disguised as a social statement, and this one wastes Steven Seagal.
Even the presence of Kris Kristofferson is wasted. It's kind of sad that he didn't get Harry Dean Stanton's role as he is the one who is truly a master with the guitar. Plus, it would have been interesting to see Harry Dean Stanton is such a role, so there is miscasting that goes on in Fire Down Below.

So sinking far below the standards of On Deadly Ground, Fire Down Below is a pathetic attempt at a social statement and an even worse attempt at an action film.
September 14, 2014
This is the film that made me gain respect for the Eugene Weekly film critic at the time, who had the gumption to give a film that most of the Weekly's reading would likely never see, a good review. This film isn't Steven Seagal's best film, but it's pretty darn good and has one of his best supporting casts. Kris Kristofferson plays an evil Ted Turner-like folksy millionaire who wants to mine the heck out of a small rural town. Marg Helgenberger plays a local beekeeper opposed to the mining and various baddies and townsfolk are played by Jeb Stuart Stephen Lang, Richard Masur, John Diehl, Randy Travis and Harry Dean Stanton plays a local halfwit (who also gets to sing a song over the end credits). Seagal gets to again deliver his message about caring for the natural environment and he get to do it with Billy Jack-like ironic violence. The action isn't as good as "Under Siege" and the marital arts isn't as good as "Above the Law" but it's a better script than most of his film and a far better cast than I think are in any of Seagl's other films.
½ July 21, 2014
Seagal had a streak of some pretty entertaining action movies in the nineties. This was the beginning of the second phase of his career where his movie star status kind of made up for some questionable role choices. It's a shame because this film actually had a decent cast.
½ June 8, 2014
If you like Steven Seagal I guess you will like this for anyone else this is just the predictable shoot em up action thriller that offers nothing new
April 20, 2014
Strangely watchable. I don't know if it was Levon Helms and the soundtrack in general, or the fact that it's the weirdest mix of Steven Seagal in the fruitiest leather coats in the hickest southern town talking about saving the environment.... this move is so bizarre and dumb it kinda works.
½ November 25, 2013
Putting aside the fact that an action picture is an odd place to put an environmentalist message, Fire Down Below is slackly paced and incredibly silly.
August 8, 2013
This is the point in his career where they keep getting worse and worse.
August 6, 2013
Directed by Félix Enríquez Alcalá, (who came from TV shows like ER, CSI: Miami and Breaking Bad), this had originally intended to be Steven Seagal's second film as director after On Deadly Ground (1994), but because that had flopped badly, Warner Bros. said otherwise. This ended up flopping badly, and it ended his contract at Warner Bros. Shame, as it's not as bad as suggested. In the Appalachian hills of Kentucky, deadly toxic is being dumped in local mines, so Environmental Protection Agency agent Jack Taggart (Seagal) is sent to investigate. He goes undercover in the town of Jackson to determine who is responsible for this, and his investigations lead him to the Hanner Coal Company, owned by Orin Hanner Sr. (Kris Kristoffersson). The company is being paid to dump the toxic down an abandoned mine, but it's causing an environmental disaster. Taggart questions the locals, but he ends up being threatened by Orin, Jr. (Brad Hunt) and the corrupt local Sheriff Lloyd (Ed Bruce), but Taggart won't back down without a fight. While not as preachy in it's message about the environment than On Deadly Ground was, this is more action packed, and has a good supporting cast including Stephen Lang, Levon Helm and Harry Dean Stanton. But it's a shame that it was the beginning of the end of Seagal's stardom.
½ July 28, 2013
You know what you're going to get with Sragal and this pretty much delivers what it says on the tin. More environmentalist hokum than usual but the same level of deadpan machismo.
½ June 7, 2013
Beating, blues music, country...what else can you ask for??
½ May 7, 2013
With the exception of Firestorm this is one the worst action films ever made.
May 5, 2013
Ugh. Seagal's save the planet movies are easily his worst. Just wretched.
January 11, 2013
Ok, this isn't exactly Shakespearean in terms of plot, drama or acting but it doesn't quite deserve the panning it got from the critics. It's a well-intentioned ramble through Movie Plot 5b (Stranger arrives in small town, takes on nasty rich bully) and you'll have had many less agreeable morality tales waste your rainy afternoon's viewing on the repeat channels.
December 30, 2012
I liked this action movie by Steven Seagal. It is light years ahead most of his movies, much more humane and unlike some of Seagal's movies it has real actors including Kris Kristoffersson and Marg Helgenberger (from CSI). Its also well written and has country music. On the contrary to what flixter plot synopsis says, in my opinion "Under Siege" it not better than this film because this one has a sense of humor and clearly executed Aikido-moves.
There was one really odd scene which was a short fight where Taggart, played by Seagal, hands over a handgun to a young boy! Then he proceeds to tell the boy watch over a couple of country thugs with it and suddenly just walks away from there. I found that a bit strange thing to do from an federal agent.
Many Seagal films have very graphic language. This one doesn't. The film wasn't over-violent, and not so violent compared to most Seagal films.
There is enough action including a car chase and four fights. I could spot several Aikido-moves like Sankyo and Tenchi-nage.
On the minus - side, the story is rather simple and its outcome is guessable.
I got it on DVD and I think this might be Seagal's best movie. I rate it four stars because of that.