Bliss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bliss Reviews

April 13, 2008
when the man lost his mind
½ March 19, 2008
I highly recommend anyone to watch this movie...men could learn so much about women and how to truly make love to a woman from this film...Enjoy!
March 11, 2008
An engaging movie about a topic that society doesn't like to deal with. Very well done.
½ February 14, 2008
"Bliss" is fresh in that the actors are unknowns. Canadian movies usually always have that element. Also, the story takes significant risks by discussing sensitive aspects of psychology in looking at the sexually dysfunctional relationship between a newly married couple.

The movie begins with Joseph and Maria heading off to their wedding. Clues are given about how the movie's going to go, which ultimately makes the story compromising and as a result, superficial.

Joseph's best friend Tanner (Casey Seimazako) plays the typical dumb guy, reassuring, best friend: "all women are suicidal from time to time."

Joseph realizes in therapy that his wife Maria fakes orgasms. This of course makes him insecure. When Joseeph, a construction project manager, observes her from a construction site walking into a building where his fellow buddies discovered a "man who sexually pleases 4 to 6 women a day one after another" (word has it he "pleases every one of them."), he obviously goes into a jealous rage.

When he realizes this male sex machine is Dr. Baltazar, a sex therapist, he decides that he loves his wife so much that he confides Dr. Baltazar into "mentoring him" into being some kind of super lover.

Not too convincing right? Maybe so, but there are elements of this movie I like. The visuals are sharp, concise, and fresh. The writing is thought provoking, but, the direction of the acting is horrid. Craig Sheffer, who plays Joseph, is a horrible actor. Despite his manly frame and great looks, he is the most unsexy human being on the planet exhibiting a dry, robotic kind of personality.

His wife, played by Sheryl Lee is a little bit more convincing. Her soliloquy at the group session was fairly believeable.

The main problem I have with this movie is the scientific dryness of how it delves into relationship dynamics. It attempts to pacify the human spirit with cerebral assumptions of how a human mind works.

Although the sensuality is tastefully shown in this movie, the story's attempt at quantifying sexual bliss is to me is perverted (in an sexual sense) and belittling and patronizing to humanity.
½ February 12, 2008
Erotical but a really stupid movie....a glimpse of how missleadiing and waste of time this movie watching could be. i wont recommend it to anyone. this movie is filled with bogus ideas of how someone who suffered with sexual abuse could recover from some kind of truma and that could be only possible through some sort of sexual teraphy?
January 28, 2008
Esta pe es de esas que pensé no me iba a gustar tanto pero sí, está muy bonita.
January 24, 2008
Bliss is an awesome movie...I associate this movie with two others that I'd like to watch all in one night sometime: Bliss, Kiss the Sky, and Blood Oranges. All three have several things in common (if I remember correctly): Terence Stamp (one of my favorite actors, particularly because of his spiritual sabbatical in the 70's), Sheryl Lee, Americans living in other countries, and creative approaches to relationship structures. This movie also has the distinction of being one of the few "American" movies I've seen in which Tantra figures heavily.
½ January 9, 2008
Very well made and takes a close, brave and honest look at sexuality.. and tries to rovoke sexual evolution in the viewer
December 15, 2007
I rated this so highly thinking it was the Australian film Bliss made from Peter Carey's novel
½ November 13, 2007
A hilariously pretentious drama taking a PBS approach toward sexual mechanics: Masters and Johnson meets Masterpiece Theatre.
November 13, 2007
I have already watched it, and I gotta watch it again..more closely..I like it ..although it is an american movie, I found some things about myself in it..
November 5, 2007
When you love the dance, the dance is love...
November 3, 2007
El "problema sexual" de ella revela que de fondo el que se cree sano y apto para curarla -el esposo- posee en realidad también sus propios problemas.
"La mejor forma de ayudar a curarla es curarse uno primero" le dice el médico.
October 27, 2007
disturbing way of depicting realities of human sexuality... guess you have to study Deida and others before understanding her preferences....
October 23, 2007
this is totally not the film I meant. I've never seen this one! sheesh. Ray Lawrence, 1985, australian, based on a peter carey novel is the one I love!
October 21, 2007
Not the Australian film...
½ October 21, 2007
Not a lot else that deals with the subject matter, it was filmed in an interesting style and with few characters it seems like it could have been an adaptation from a play, see it.
½ October 8, 2007
Very rare to see the truth about human relating depicted in a movie, they should show it at schools!
½ October 3, 2007
How fragile we are in relationship, and how rewarding can be the cultivation of the better Self within.
½ September 25, 2007
Interestingly portrayed movie about human sexuality and abuse. Very provocative and sensual. Great acting from all the actors.