Shall We Dance? (Shall We Dansu?) Reviews

• Jan 14, 2019

This is a Japanese film classic. One of the best films I have ever seen. Koji Yakusho and Tamiyo Kusakari are amazing. it is a charming and funny film. Forget the Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez remake.

• Oct 20, 2018

Absolutely wonderful movie! Funny, quiet, beautiful!

Absolutely wonderful movie! Funny, quiet, beautiful!

• Nov 17, 2016

Japanese language with subtitles A warm story about an unptight and dutiful 40 something middle management accountant who is finding that his dream of having his own house, pretty wife and young daughter is not turning out to be as fulfilling as he thought it was going to be. As he commutes from his dreary job once more, he glances from the train up to a dance studio opposite one of the train stops and sees a beautiful but melancholic woman staring out the dance room window. Eventually he plucks up the courage to get off the train and make his way to the studio. His initial plan was to meet and maybe even have a relationship with the mysterious dancer. But to do so, he has to enroll in the dance class. Quite quickly he realises that dancing makes him happier and more alive. But keeps it secret from his wife. It seems that in Japan, dancing with someone other than your wife is considered slightly pervy and shameful. His wife soon notices the difference in demeanour and suspects an affair - but in a way his enjoyment of dancing is worse than a physical affair and she feels left out and isolated. It's a gentle film about searching for a more fulfilled life - for some its ballroom dancing.

• Sep 26, 2015

Absolutely charming! This Japanese film is an Allstar! Every character is needed, every character adds to the whole. Centered around a middle aged business man seeing a beautiful woman dancing as he passes in the commuter train. This chance encounter leads him on a voyage of discovery of himself, and the many characters he meets on his journey. A wonderful movie! As with all foreign language film. Three warnings: Do not watch the English dubbed version. Watch the subtitled version. And do not waste your time with the American remake of this film. (this is the one to see folks)

• Sep 14, 2015

"Shall We Dance?", a light-hearted flick from Japan, tells of an overworked accountant and family man who is attracted to a dance studio by a beautiful woman he see's from the train during his daily commute. What he finds in the studio are lessons in dancing and, most of all, himself. Funny, poignant, and utterly charming, "SWD" is an award winning film well worth a look by more mature viewers.

• May 30, 2015

A tad long, but "Shall We Dance?" brings a lot of humor onto the table to make us sit and watch throughout. It's relatable, funny, and makes us dance along ith the stars. Definitely an international classic.

• Mar 18, 2014

A divine little gem of a movie. Never has Blackpool, England been romanticized in such a way that it resembles almost a mythical fantasy world, and not since the hey day of the Hollywood musical has dancing ever been so graceful, alluring and soul stirring. Near Perfection.

• Jan 31, 2014

A great little dramedy that starts out low key and builds evenly to a great ending. Recommended.

• Jan 29, 2014

I broke the cardinal rule with this one: I saw the remake first. While I still enjoyed this film, I did find it rather predictable.

• Dec 21, 2013

"better than the US richard gere remake and reminiscent of the aussie hit 'strictly ballroom'