Shall We Dance? (Shall We Dansu?) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shall We Dance? (Shall We Dansu?) Reviews

½ November 17, 2016
Japanese language with subtitles
A warm story about an unptight and dutiful 40 something middle management accountant who is finding that his dream of having his own house, pretty wife and young daughter is not turning out to be as fulfilling as he thought it was going to be. As he commutes from his dreary job once more, he glances from the train up to a dance studio opposite one of the train stops and sees a beautiful but melancholic woman staring out the dance room window. Eventually he plucks up the courage to get off the train and make his way to the studio.
His initial plan was to meet and maybe even have a relationship with the mysterious dancer. But to do so, he has to enroll in the dance class. Quite quickly he realises that dancing makes him happier and more alive. But keeps it secret from his wife. It seems that in Japan, dancing with someone other than your wife is considered slightly pervy and shameful. His wife soon notices the difference in demeanour and suspects an affair - but in a way his enjoyment of dancing is worse than a physical affair and she feels left out and isolated.
It's a gentle film about searching for a more fulfilled life - for some its ballroom dancing.
January 18, 2016
Since I still have a samba hang-over, I decided to re-watch one of my favorite dance movies. The movie is about a middle-aged salaryman, who got interested in ballroom dancing so late in his life.

Never mind the Richard Gere-Jennifer Lopez remake of the said film, as I think it fails in comparison to the original film.

The Japanese version is very charming. You can see the determination of the main character just to learn ballroom dancing in order to escape from frustration and happiness in his life.
September 26, 2015
Absolutely charming! This Japanese film is an Allstar! Every character is needed, every character adds to the whole. Centered around a middle aged business man seeing a beautiful woman dancing as he passes in the commuter train. This chance encounter leads him on a voyage of discovery of himself, and the many characters he meets on his journey. A wonderful movie!

As with all foreign language film. Three warnings:
Do not watch the English dubbed version.
Watch the subtitled version.
And do not waste your time with the American remake of this film. (this is the one to see folks)
½ September 14, 2015
"Shall We Dance?", a light-hearted flick from Japan, tells of an overworked accountant and family man who is attracted to a dance studio by a beautiful woman he see's from the train during his daily commute. What he finds in the studio are lessons in dancing and, most of all, himself. Funny, poignant, and utterly charming, "SWD" is an award winning film well worth a look by more mature viewers.
May 30, 2015
A tad long, but "Shall We Dance?" brings a lot of humor onto the table to make us sit and watch throughout. It's relatable, funny, and makes us dance along ith the stars. Definitely an international classic.
April 25, 2015
I broke the cardinal rule with this one: I saw the remake first. While I still enjoyed this film, I did find it rather predictable.
April 13, 2014
A divine little gem of a movie. Never has Blackpool, England been romanticized in such a way that it resembles almost a mythical fantasy world, and not since the hey day of the Hollywood musical has dancing ever been so graceful, alluring and soul stirring.

Near Perfection.
January 31, 2014
A great little dramedy that starts out low key and builds evenly to a great ending. Recommended.
December 21, 2013
"better than the US richard gere remake and reminiscent of the aussie hit 'strictly ballroom'
½ December 16, 2013
Effortlessly charming.
November 2, 2013
The most delightful movie I have ever seen.
½ October 5, 2013
Nice film, I really like the acting from the main character.
½ June 22, 2013
Fun, entertaining Japanese flick.
½ April 12, 2013
I actually like the Richard Gere version better.
April 8, 2013
This film is one of the most honest comedies I've seen in awhile. The screenplay and writing are done delightfully well and complimented, immensely, by beautiful cinematography. It is a fantastic film to be displayed and seen internationally, for its contrast and mix of eastern and western culture makes it a curiously entertaining film to watch, showing the importance and the impact that following your passion can make.
½ December 25, 2012
Light-hearted, charming
October 21, 2012
One of my favorite movies
September 12, 2012
Pacing may drag at times, but the movie overall is light-hearted and fun to watch.
August 9, 2012
A real treat for dance lovers. When going home from work in a metro train, an ageing man (Koji Yakusho) catches a glimpse of a pretty young lady standing at the window of a dance studio. He decides to start dancing, does so, and even gives his wife reasons to worry as he comes home late with a scent of a lady's perfume, that she employs a private detective. They both feel ashamed after she finds out the reason for his being late, and he discovers that he is being followed. But his love for dancing makes him put the past behind and keep on dancing. I'd say, despite its psychological depth, the film is nothing special, except for the occasional dancing that would probably serve will for the dancing beginners.
August 8, 2012
After all, Mr. Akoi is a latin man...