The Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Game Reviews

May 9, 2017
What do you get a multi millionaire for his birthday? You give him a dose of reality & the gift of family. That's the irony of this movie that's so brilliantly disguised as a thrilling adventure wrought with mystery & danger. Definitely one of the stand outs in its genre.
April 27, 2017
Seems a bit tedious, stupid old game
April 1, 2017
One of the most entertaining thrillers I've ever seen, even tho the story feels poor and "too fantastic" to be real.
March 28, 2017
One David Fincher's Film, 1999's Fight Club Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ February 27, 2017
9/10
One of the masterpiece from David Fincher's movies.
½ February 5, 2017
very good and exciting movie!
January 21, 2017
The Game is a thrilling experience in which you watch a normal man slowly turn insane.
January 20, 2017
What to get a millionaire for his birthday? He has everything he needs. I love how creative the giver can get for the one man who sees it all and living his dreams.
½ January 8, 2017
i would be so beyond pissed if i were Michael Douglas; he took that ending rather well. the story is very very good. i wonder if this film gave inspiration for "Fear Inc".
December 18, 2016
A mess that works, so we can define "The Game", David Fincher, puts us in the role of Nicholas Van Orton (Michael Douglas), a millionaire who has a quiet life and away from everything and everyone, until his brother invites him For a game. Well, if I continue to count it will be spoiler, a high point of the film is its script, which has many twists, and the viewer suffers along with Nicholas, although it has a bit of utopia, "The Game" does not have a message to us Say, perhaps the message of the sovereign man, rich and powerful who deep down has feelings, or perhaps of the man who has everything and has to learn to have nothing, Maybe, well, maybe, David hardly explores these elements, and over time You do not understand the rhythm of the movie anymore, it's slow and fast time, but even so, the viewer does not lose his attention in the film, not even for a second, Fincher came from Seven, where he abused language figures in his photograph , But if you expect something like this here, well, forget it. Fincher does the basics, but does a lot of quality with this basic, soundtrack, editing, photography, mixing and editing, everything is in a good standard, the performances are also good. Finally, "The Game" is a good movie to put on the resume and does not disappoint, but to the standard David Fincher, is reasonable.
November 11, 2016
Nicholas Van Orton (Michael Douglas) is a wealthy man whose father in his late forties committed suicide; and with Nick approaching that age, his brother Conrad (Sean Penn) decides to give him a very special birthday present. The best way I can describe it is that it's an interactive game/experience. Nick grows increasingly suspicious and paranoid about the 'game', however, and tries to find out what Conrad might have gotten them both into.

David Fincher directing this movie was one of the reasons why I was looking forward to seeing this movie, as he has made some technically impressive films in the past that often have incredibly engaging stories, such as "Fight Club" and "Zodiac". Even with his weaker effort, "Alien 3", I still felt that there was enough intrigue in some performances to save the film from being terrible. As I kept on watching "The Game", I felt fascinated by a story that got better and better as it went along for about 80-90% of the movie; and Fincher's direction and the cinematography really helped make the movie have an eerie tone.

The performances are overall very convincing. I haven't really seen enough films with Douglas or Penn, but I did buy them as estranged brothers who ultimately want the best for the other. The scene where they're at the car, in particular, was very well acted. All of the supporting cast members did a good job, also. Almost all of them had unnerving scenes where Nick is trying to find out more about the game, but they really give him a tough time doing so, as they seem to be different people in different scenes.

*Spoilers below*
I felt a sense of dread when I saw the events of the story unfold and learned more about what Conrad might have done to Nick, which, for me, in the end let me down. The film continues through its last forty minutes or so with non-stop suspenseful incidents that happen to Nick until he accidentally shoots Conrad, thinking he was leading a group of attackers. This causes Nick to jump off a building, and he falls through a glass roof unto an inflatable castle or something like that, and he finds out that all the bad stuff that had happened to him, including him shooting Conrad, had been planned from the start. This made me really mad at Conrad and his accomplices because even though they supposedly examined Nick's mind at a medical center for a day to examine what actions he would take in different circumstances, I end up finding out that they had been acting very unethically. There are just too many hazards and potential accidents and tragedies that could have happened because of what they were trying to do to Nick just to give him a fricking T-shirt for his birthday. It's way too convenient that it turned out alright in the end.

*End of spoilers*

"The Game" started out with real promise, but the ending felt incredibly anti-climactic. This is a real shame, especially considering how the acting and storytelling were very well-done and I was very tense for much of the movie. I will say though, that I hope in the future, if someone tries to remake this film, the movie has a less irritating and convenient ending.
6/10
½ November 8, 2016
Good movie, even if it is a little out there.
November 6, 2016
Everything down to the piano dings, is spot on.
The only problem is that it runs a little long, but
who really cares when Michael Douglas is acting his face off.
October 13, 2016
Perfect from beginning to end.
October 1, 2016
one of the best thriller's i have ever seen superb performance's suspenseful thrilling and interesting 5/5 stars A+! one of my favorite fincher films now first time watch for me last night
September 15, 2016
Absorbing with a pretty good payoff.
September 1, 2016
Daniel Schorr: Discovering the object of the game *is* the object of the game.

Review soon
August 26, 2016
An intriguing psychological thriller that keeps you guessing and on edge right up until the audatious, ridiculous finale that leaves you feeling amused, gobsmacked and a little cheated all at the same time. A well paced rollercoaster ride of a movie even if the finale "jumps the shark" by quite a distance.
½ August 15, 2016
I can understand why the ending upsets a lot of people. I've heard so many people praising this film as a great thriller with one big problem, so I was very curious to find out what they meant by that. I have to say I really liked the way it wrapped up. Do I think it could've had a better ending? Absolutely. But up until that point, I was so sucked into the story that I wasn't bothered by the supposedly disappointing endng. Michael Douglas is terrific and David Fincher's direction is immaculate as ever. Atmospheric, suspenseful, and packed with countless twists and turns that you don't see coming. It has become one of my favorite David Fincher films. "The Game" is an excellent thriller.
August 8, 2016
Not sure I buy everything here, but an engaging film.