The Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Game Reviews

October 13, 2016
Perfect from beginning to end.
October 1, 2016
one of the best thriller's i have ever seen superb performance's suspenseful thrilling and interesting 5/5 stars A+! one of my favorite fincher films now first time watch for me last night
September 15, 2016
Absorbing with a pretty good payoff.
September 1, 2016
Daniel Schorr: Discovering the object of the game *is* the object of the game.

Review soon
August 26, 2016
An intriguing psychological thriller that keeps you guessing and on edge right up until the audatious, ridiculous finale that leaves you feeling amused, gobsmacked and a little cheated all at the same time. A well paced rollercoaster ride of a movie even if the finale "jumps the shark" by quite a distance.
½ August 15, 2016
I can understand why the ending upsets a lot of people. I've heard so many people praising this film as a great thriller with one big problem, so I was very curious to find out what they meant by that. I have to say I really liked the way it wrapped up. Do I think it could've had a better ending? Absolutely. But up until that point, I was so sucked into the story that I wasn't bothered by the supposedly disappointing endng. Michael Douglas is terrific and David Fincher's direction is immaculate as ever. Atmospheric, suspenseful, and packed with countless twists and turns that you don't see coming. It has become one of my favorite David Fincher films. "The Game" is an excellent thriller.
August 8, 2016
Not sure I buy everything here, but an engaging film.
July 31, 2016
The Game (1997) C-129m. ?? D: David Fincher. Michael Douglas, Sean Penn. Weirdly audacious and dizzyingly creative spin on satirical entertainment fools viewer from beginning right up to finale. Wealthy San Francisco banker Douglas enters strange company's newly (and carefully) designed virtual reality where he's soon fighting for survival, trusting nobody in the process, even though it is only a "game". Striking, great-looking film is intriguing and quite absorbing at first . . but extreme coldness of main characters, supreme mean-spiritness of screenplay, and complete shortage of humor makes this awfully hard to take. Too bad.
July 18, 2016
David Fincher's best movie.
½ July 14, 2016
Michael Douglas stars as Nicholas Van Orton a successful banker who keeps to himself. When his brother returns with a gift for his birthday and refers him to a company who provides personalized real-life game. Initially the game seems harmless, but soon becomes life threatening and Nicholas is left to trust no one and must confront the company on his own. David Fincher is able to build a sense of dread and paranoia, that he is so well known for. The Game is riveting and leaves you asking yourself questions the entire movie about what is the game really for. The ending doesn't quite work for me, but overall a very good movie, that is also very memorable.
½ July 12, 2016
If The Game works at all it's largely down to another excellent performance by Michael Douglas and characteristically confident direction by David Fincher. It's really no more than a two-hour conjuring trick with a premise that bears no analysis. Worth watching if you can park your brain.
July 10, 2016
A few too many twists in the third act. So many twists that eventually I stopped caring. It drags on for too long considering the payoff. It's okay for what it is, but I was expecting more. I would like for this to be remade someday.
½ July 8, 2016
The Game is a handsome gimmick, an initially interesting, ultimately unfulfilling mindbender that loses its element of surprise every time you remember the title.
½ July 5, 2016

The Game is a really great idea and has a lot of twists and turns in it. However, the movie does feel tiresome, or rushed at times, and the ending could've been better. But it's a pretty good thriller and the performance by Michael Douglas is a really great one. Another thing I found wrong about this movie is that it doesn't leave anything to speculation, unlike some of Fincher's previous work.
½ June 20, 2016
6/15/16 It was entertaining. The plausibility of the company putting the whole "game" together is logistically impossible, but it is still a fun thrill ride. Good atmosphere and interesting plot line.... worth the 2 hour commitment to watch this movie that is now almost 20 years old!
½ June 10, 2016
Really unexpected trama for the time it was made, at the begging you get very caught, eager to know what about "the game", I felt that at some point it gets kinda flat but booooom, the end is something you really don't expect to be. Good thriller, but I would have liked more suspense.
June 2, 2016
David Fincher's psychological thriller is full of surprising moments and remarkable scenes, but, at least in my opinion, its terrible ending ruined most of the movie for me. 3/5 stars
May 15, 2016
Wow! Watched this for the first time today. Amazing!!! Must watch!
May 15, 2016
sentimientos encontrados... pudo ser peor, pero pudo ser mejor tratandose de David Fincher
May 10, 2016
Absolutely crazy, but with some great moments (the White Rabbit scene and the rooftop scene) and a good central performance from Michael Douglas. What a terrible birthday present, though!