Oliver Twist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver Twist Reviews

August 23, 2016
such a great movie and such a great performance by Richard dreyfuss and all the others
½ November 24, 2014
By no means offensive and not necessarily bad, it's just thoroughly bland.
April 6, 2014
This movie distorts the book terribly and ruins a great book.
April 14, 2013
This is Brian Kesler, phony film critic, with your daily movie buzz. As disney sinks lower and lower every week, and the animation studio is being chopped up for winter firewood, their live action productions seem to be moving right along. 'Oliver Twist' has just managed to make its way onto television screens everywhere. And it's created quite a buzz regarding other versions of the film. After being advertised to magnificently horrid reviews, this sugar fest of insipid cockney accents and wonderfully witless dialogue has broken all sorts of records for cash lost in a single week. With it's eye shattering out of period fiberglass set and nauseating cinematography, 'Oliver Twist' has the look of a winner of minus three Emmy awards. And 'Oliver Twist' is perfect for the middle class suburban brain dead family. No nasty lyrics, gruesome perversions, or multiculturalism like there is in the musical and other versions. Oliver Twist has been sanitized, shrink wrapped, and drained of all blood for your protection. This is Brian Kesler with the movie buzz, and who the hell am I anyway?
April 9, 2013
Tony Bill's Oliver Twist is harmless and some times even entertaining, featuring a very compromised performance by Elijah Wood and Richard Dreyfuss, but still is a very poor adaptation and lacks a bit of consistency and charm.
December 7, 2012
A reasonable adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel.
July 8, 2012
A poor vision of the Charles Dickens story. No wonder this was a made-for-tv special.
June 11, 2012
This is a TV movie that was among the VHS movies from the bag. So here's a movie you most likely never heard of which is this none musical version of Oliver Twist.

Plot: Oliver Twist was born shortly before his mother died holding a locket meant for him. He grows up in a workhouse where he is made to work for the first 6 years of his life. One day the other boys make his ask for more gruel which causes him to be kicked out of the workhouse. So he leaves to steal in London, but not before he sneaks back at the workhouse to get his mother's locket. Once he's in London he comes across a young man named Dodger who takes him to Fagin who trains him to become a pickpocket.

This is really just an "eh" kind of movie. It's not a grand big musical like the actual musical or the best picture winner Oliver!, but it at least done it's job for what it's worth in giving us the story. But it doesn't do it's job too well. The acting wasn't too big and there could've been maybe a little more work done with some of the character development like Mr. Brownlow. Honestly, the only thing that was in anyway interesting for me was that they had Elijah Wood as Dodger. I don't know if he's what Dodger is suppose to be from the book (cause I only know Dodger from the musical), but he did a nice job. I guess one thing to really like about his performance is how he's not being a hero like in Lord of the Rings or Happy Feet or something like that. But other than that, that's kind of it.

So that's my review for Oliver Twist. I know this is a shorter review than usual, but...yeah I just feel like there is nothing much left to really say about it.
½ June 9, 2012
i had no idea that that was richard dreyfuss till flixtster, the whole time i was like fagin looks familiar. had i watched this in english i might have recognized him sooner.
June 1, 2012
I remember this movie as a kid and thought it was delightful!
January 31, 2012
The other version is more true to the actual story but way more scary than this one
½ December 16, 2011
Elijah is excellent in it, but is the only good bit about it.
½ April 26, 2011
Elijah Wood was the best part <3 if he hadn't been in it I would've been bored to death :P
½ August 4, 2010
I know I'm being too generous with my rating. In general, I was not pleased with this movie. Disney took out a lot of the book's power by turning it into an adaptation for children. Alex Trench made Oliver a horribly unsympathetic character. (Sooner or later I almost rooted against him.) Richard Dreyfuss brought some life into Fagin, but not as much as I had hoped. Still, it made the movie less of an ordeal. David O'Hara lacked a LOT of the scare factor for Bill Sykes.

So why am I giving this movie such a ridiculously high score? Two words--Elijah Wood. Once again, he wows me with his over-the-top performance as the Artful Dodger. Yes, the accent sounds fake, but I think that was the point. Wood completely steals the show--and doesn't give it back when he's off-screen. I'd watch this again for him, but just for him.
February 6, 2010
A mi me gusto esta version
February 2, 2010
Great Movie. All I Have To Say.
January 6, 2010
"MORE?!!!"... More Oliver Twist remakes? Jesus tapping dancing Christ.
½ October 19, 2009
Elijah Wood just made my day as the Artful Dodger. classic movie, just great!
½ July 14, 2009
please sir....may i have some more?....MORE!!!!!
May 28, 2009
Passable entertainment though it's really Richard Dreyfus's show.