Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

½ January 24, 2016
Elegantly animated, terrifically voiced (acted?), and wonderfully musical, this princess tale's familiarity is outmatched by its talent.
January 17, 2016
Garbage. The characters are uninteresting, the villain is scotch-taped onto the story, and the plot is nothing but a cheap rip-off of the Disney formula. Oh, and it runs the name of a historical figure through the mud.

Oh look, stuff from the Golden version somehow ended up here. Guess the directors weren't the only ones who just didn't care.
½ December 29, 2015
A Childhood favorite. Who needs Disney?
November 2, 2015
A film that tries and tries to seem original when it's basically a generic film. Anastasia herself felt way too much like they were trying to make her seem like she was tough and unique, when she just felt like every 90's female character at the time. She acted tough and spoke her mind when in the end of the film, she needs to be rescued by her love interest.

Meg Ryan does give a good performance as the Russian princess, but it bothers me how she didn't have an accent, especially when they're pushing the whole history of Russia and the family in our faces. Her parents had accents and she was the Russian princess for crying out loud.

Dimitri, played by John Cusack, is her love interest and they undergo what every couple did in the 90's. They can't stand each other for the first two-thirds of the film and it's unbearable. You just KNOW they're going to get together in the end, but they rub it in your face too much by making them dislike each other. The songs are pretty forgettable, except for Once Upon A December.

Good for the kids, but I'm not sure of the adults or younger adults.
October 26, 2015
Anastasia proves that after all his downfalls, Don Bluth can still make a good film
½ October 13, 2015
A animação é belíssima e cheia de cuidados - desde os desenhos até a até então recente tecnologia de inserção de elementos por computador - e o resultado é um filme divertido, ainda que a banalização de parte da história russa prejudique, sim, o filme.
½ September 28, 2015
Despite being a Disney knock-off, this movie is still thoroughly engaging.
Personally, I have an obsession with it. I love it to itty-bitty pieces, and have seen it countless times, flaws and all.
August 8, 2015
20th Century Fox finally gets the point of animated musicals.
August 1, 2015
While it has a fantastic voice cast leading it, Anastasia fails to put memorable songs on screen. Anastasia provides a historical aspect lacking from a large portion of animated films, which was new. I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Bartok, a family friendly creature straight out of the Disney methodology, Funny at times, forgettable at others, Anastasia is in no way bad, but at times, not so good.
July 30, 2015
Anastasia is a foolish attempt to recreate the magic first portrayed by the Disney classics
½ July 15, 2015
Another great Don Bluth films! The animation is very nice, the script seems natural, and the characters are great! The music is outstanding, on par with disney.
½ May 8, 2015
Anastasia is a great family fun movie. Other then some gruesome parts which I thought should be a PG movie not a G movie I think this is great family fun. The setting in the story was great. I thought both were excellent in their own ways.
April 30, 2015
A little on the haunting side, and also mysterious despite its more lighthearted moments.
½ April 24, 2015
I can certainly see why this is one of Disney's forgotten movies. Nothing really special at all about this one, in fact it was pretty dull. It kind of reminded me of a Russian version of Cinderella with a villain that was basically like a Russian version of Jafar(well, horrible accents anyways). This gets a very big MEH!
April 23, 2015
One of the best non-Disney animated features in history.
½ March 22, 2015
I have to stand up for this film. It is very underrated, it has rich animation, interesting characters, and a feel that's so alive and vibrant in a dark Russian fairy tale. It's feel has something Disney does not have. This film plays like a majestic musical unseen to the human eyes.
March 19, 2015
She's the real thing.

Anastasia and her family were the royal family of Russia when Rasputin leads a rebellion that kills her entire family. She barely escapes and is raised in the country until she decides to return to find her grandmother. A group of men who have historically made false claims of finding her really find her. Can they reunite Anastasia with her family?

"I am not afraid of you."
"I can fix that."

Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, who worked together on Titan AE, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Rock-A-Doodle, and Thumbelina, delivers Anastasia. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fairly well done. The animation style was above average but not cutting edge or on par with today's films. The voices were well selected and include Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Lloyd, and Kirsten Dunst.

"This can only end in tears."

I came across this on Netflix and thought my daughter and I would enjoy this together. It was okay and well written and I enjoyed the animation style. Overall it was an above average addition that is worth seeing with your child but may not be a must see.

"I don't know my last name."

Grade: C+
½ March 1, 2015
Just awful. Such a butchering of history.
February 23, 2015
The extraordinary blend of computer and traditional animation alone is enough to recommend Anastasia. Some of its vistas are truly breathtaking in a way those in films of any medium seldom are. Certain action scenes are especially effective--live-action counterparts could exhaust their budgets trying to match the train derailment. The voice cast is game: John Cusack's Hollywood hero is almost as well-suited to Dimitri as Christopher Lloyd's patented rasp is to Rasputin, whereas Azaria, true to form, is as fantastic as he is unrecognizable; Ryan and Grammer pull their weight, too. The music is often beautifully melodic, if not particularly memorable.

Still, for all its aesthetic charm [and decent character development] Anastasia only amounts to pleasant entertainment. I guess you can only do so much when you commandeer a dark part of Russian history for a romantic comedy.

Rent it.
February 9, 2015
The legend of the lost princess Anastasia was an interesting story that makes you wonder a bit of what happened. But this movie was just "Diet Disney", a movie that looks Disney material, but not at all. I remember watching this movie a long time ago and enjoying it. But now looking back at it it's not as great as i remember. This could be like a Nostalgia Critic review, because his reviews are kinda the same.
I enjoy the animation at how it's so life like and colorful and the backgrounds are good as well. The musical numbers are kinda catchy, even though i don't remember them right now.
The animation is good, but it's too good. It's too life like, it has so much motion like if it was a motion capture movie. Christopher Lloyd was in this and he did good, but i'm surprised that he plays a lot of people in a lot of movies. I really don't like Anastatia's character.She feels like she is trying to be the hero here, but the way she was in the movie it feels like she has been rushed.
So like i said before, looking back at this movie makes it look like i just saw it. If other people like it, then they just like it. But i do wonder what really happened to Anastatia in real life, if she forgot who she was, lived a good life and died happy or just died.