Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

½ May 22, 2015
Anastasia is by far one of the best childrens animations not to be done by Disney. The songs are both emotional and powerful. The characters are well thought out, with a script that is perfect for the story.
½ May 8, 2015
Anastasia is a great family fun movie. Other then some gruesome parts which I thought should be a PG movie not a G movie I think this is great family fun. The setting in the story was great. I thought both were excellent in their own ways.
April 30, 2015
A little on the haunting side, and also mysterious despite its more lighthearted moments.
½ April 24, 2015
I can certainly see why this is one of Disney's forgotten movies. Nothing really special at all about this one, in fact it was pretty dull. It kind of reminded me of a Russian version of Cinderella with a villain that was basically like a Russian version of Jafar(well, horrible accents anyways). This gets a very big MEH!
April 23, 2015
One of the best non-Disney animated features in history.
½ March 22, 2015
I have to stand up for this film. It is very underrated, it has rich animation, interesting characters, and a feel that's so alive and vibrant in a dark Russian fairy tale. It's feel has something Disney does not have. This film plays like a majestic musical unseen to the human eyes.
March 19, 2015
She's the real thing.

Anastasia and her family were the royal family of Russia when Rasputin leads a rebellion that kills her entire family. She barely escapes and is raised in the country until she decides to return to find her grandmother. A group of men who have historically made false claims of finding her really find her. Can they reunite Anastasia with her family?

"I am not afraid of you."
"I can fix that."

Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, who worked together on Titan AE, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Rock-A-Doodle, and Thumbelina, delivers Anastasia. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fairly well done. The animation style was above average but not cutting edge or on par with today's films. The voices were well selected and include Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Christopher Lloyd, and Kirsten Dunst.

"This can only end in tears."

I came across this on Netflix and thought my daughter and I would enjoy this together. It was okay and well written and I enjoyed the animation style. Overall it was an above average addition that is worth seeing with your child but may not be a must see.

"I don't know my last name."

Grade: C+
½ March 1, 2015
Just awful. Such a butchering of history.
February 23, 2015
The extraordinary blend of computer and traditional animation alone is enough to recommend Anastasia. Some of its vistas are truly breathtaking in a way those in films of any medium seldom are. Certain action scenes are especially effective--live-action counterparts could exhaust their budgets trying to match the train derailment. The voice cast is game: John Cusack's Hollywood hero is almost as well-suited to Dimitri as Christopher Lloyd's patented rasp is to Rasputin, whereas Azaria, true to form, is as fantastic as he is unrecognizable; Ryan and Grammer pull their weight, too. The music is often beautifully melodic, if not particularly memorable.

Still, for all its aesthetic charm [and decent character development] Anastasia only amounts to pleasant entertainment. I guess you can only do so much when you commandeer a dark part of Russian history for a romantic comedy.

Rent it.
February 9, 2015
The legend of the lost princess Anastasia was an interesting story that makes you wonder a bit of what happened. But this movie was just "Diet Disney", a movie that looks Disney material, but not at all. I remember watching this movie a long time ago and enjoying it. But now looking back at it it's not as great as i remember. This could be like a Nostalgia Critic review, because his reviews are kinda the same.
I enjoy the animation at how it's so life like and colorful and the backgrounds are good as well. The musical numbers are kinda catchy, even though i don't remember them right now.
The animation is good, but it's too good. It's too life like, it has so much motion like if it was a motion capture movie. Christopher Lloyd was in this and he did good, but i'm surprised that he plays a lot of people in a lot of movies. I really don't like Anastatia's character.She feels like she is trying to be the hero here, but the way she was in the movie it feels like she has been rushed.
So like i said before, looking back at this movie makes it look like i just saw it. If other people like it, then they just like it. But i do wonder what really happened to Anastatia in real life, if she forgot who she was, lived a good life and died happy or just died.
January 6, 2015
Just like the original live version with Ingrid Bergman, but with a kid friendly twist
January 3, 2015
The original Frozen and captivating to boot, Anastasia provides a winner among Fox's animated embargo of films.
½ December 29, 2014
El decadente animador Don Bluth trata de volver a la promesa que significó alguna vez "The Secret Of Nimph" con "Anastasia", un musical sobre la hija perdida de los últimos zares de Rusia. Los resultados son mediocres. Aunque no es "Thumbelina" o "A Troll In Central Park", la cinta, en últimas, no vale la pena.
December 25, 2014
Beautifully animated and a spectacular take on Russian history. The story is very genuine and the voice cast bring the characters to life beautifully.
December 24, 2014
The songs in this movie are actually good :)
½ December 20, 2014
Anastasia (1997) has enough ambition, colorful animation, and visual splendor to satisfy both kids and adults.
December 13, 2014
makes u really wish this is what happen to princes anastasia :)
December 13, 2014
Love love love love love this movie! One of my absolute fave movies from my childhood! My favorite movie when I was like 6! I watched it everyday!
½ November 24, 2014
i feel lukewarm about this film. i remember watching it as a girl, loving the story and the romance, but watching it again on netflix, it's almost cringe-worthy. i probably should have been happy with the memory of it rather than seeing it again. but at the same time, for what it was and time in which it was made, it's a great film for kids and teens for sure, and that's what makes it special.
November 22, 2014
It's terrible how it addresses the complicated end of Russian royalty and the rise of communism. Really, the worst. However it was such a beautiful, fun film that I loved it as a child, and made me all the more interested in actual Russian history, usually better learned from books anyway. So all in all, not too much harm done?

The visuals and the personality of Anastasia are its best assests, and I've met several people who love the lullaby song from the film. All the other songs are likable as well, and yet distinct from Disney's.