Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

April 3, 2016
Underrated female protagonist. Essentially the gender opposite of Disney's Hercules but still refreshingly beautiful story.
½ March 27, 2016
Gran adaptación para cine animado. Una de las princesas más queridas de películas animadas!
February 27, 2016
An amazing movie. The animation is fantastic as well as the acting. The music is absolutely beautiful. And the story line pulls through all the way. Overall it's an excellent movie
February 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time, but the poster photo is for the wrong movie??
½ January 24, 2016
Elegantly animated, terrifically voiced (acted?), and wonderfully musical, this princess tale's familiarity is outmatched by its talent.
January 17, 2016
Garbage. The characters are uninteresting, the villain is scotch-taped onto the story, and the plot is nothing but a cheap rip-off of the Disney formula. Oh, and it runs the name of a historical figure through the mud.

Oh look, stuff from the Golden version somehow ended up here. Guess the directors weren't the only ones who just didn't care.
½ December 29, 2015
A Childhood favorite. Who needs Disney?
November 2, 2015
A film that tries and tries to seem original when it's basically a generic film. Anastasia herself felt way too much like they were trying to make her seem like she was tough and unique, when she just felt like every 90's female character at the time. She acted tough and spoke her mind when in the end of the film, she needs to be rescued by her love interest.

Meg Ryan does give a good performance as the Russian princess, but it bothers me how she didn't have an accent, especially when they're pushing the whole history of Russia and the family in our faces. Her parents had accents and she was the Russian princess for crying out loud.

Dimitri, played by John Cusack, is her love interest and they undergo what every couple did in the 90's. They can't stand each other for the first two-thirds of the film and it's unbearable. You just KNOW they're going to get together in the end, but they rub it in your face too much by making them dislike each other. The songs are pretty forgettable, except for Once Upon A December.

Good for the kids, but I'm not sure of the adults or younger adults.
October 26, 2015
Anastasia proves that after all his downfalls, Don Bluth can still make a good film
½ October 13, 2015
A animação é belíssima e cheia de cuidados - desde os desenhos até a até então recente tecnologia de inserção de elementos por computador - e o resultado é um filme divertido, ainda que a banalização de parte da história russa prejudique, sim, o filme.
½ September 28, 2015
Despite being a Disney knock-off, this movie is still thoroughly engaging.
Personally, I have an obsession with it. I love it to itty-bitty pieces, and have seen it countless times, flaws and all.
August 8, 2015
20th Century Fox finally gets the point of animated musicals.
August 1, 2015
While it has a fantastic voice cast leading it, Anastasia fails to put memorable songs on screen. Anastasia provides a historical aspect lacking from a large portion of animated films, which was new. I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Bartok, a family friendly creature straight out of the Disney methodology, Funny at times, forgettable at others, Anastasia is in no way bad, but at times, not so good.
July 30, 2015
Anastasia is a foolish attempt to recreate the magic first portrayed by the Disney classics
½ July 15, 2015
Another great Don Bluth films! The animation is very nice, the script seems natural, and the characters are great! The music is outstanding, on par with disney.
½ May 8, 2015
Anastasia is a great family fun movie. Other then some gruesome parts which I thought should be a PG movie not a G movie I think this is great family fun. The setting in the story was great. I thought both were excellent in their own ways.
April 30, 2015
A little on the haunting side, and also mysterious despite its more lighthearted moments.
½ April 24, 2015
I can certainly see why this is one of Disney's forgotten movies. Nothing really special at all about this one, in fact it was pretty dull. It kind of reminded me of a Russian version of Cinderella with a villain that was basically like a Russian version of Jafar(well, horrible accents anyways). This gets a very big MEH!
April 23, 2015
One of the best non-Disney animated features in history.
½ March 22, 2015
I have to stand up for this film. It is very underrated, it has rich animation, interesting characters, and a feel that's so alive and vibrant in a dark Russian fairy tale. It's feel has something Disney does not have. This film plays like a majestic musical unseen to the human eyes.