Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

March 3, 2017
Although a history lesson it is not, this fictionalized animated musical about Russia's lost princess stands out for defying every standard that the rivaling Disney studio had set in the 1990s.
February 28, 2017
A movie filled with the best music and animation of the 20 th century destined to take us on a 'JOURNEY TO THE PAST'. a movie i can say with atmost confidence that challenge the work of disney.
February 4, 2017
Anastasia (1997) - is what I consider to be Fox's take on the Disney movie formula and for the most part, being successful at it. While the movie isn't as great as the movies that Disney released back in the 90's, it still manages to capture the same spirit and likability that Disney has perfected for years. The movie is directed by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman. You may recognize them as the same people who worked on "Land before time" and "Secret of NIMH". The story is charming uplifting and sometimes funny. I really do like the journey the characters go on and how they each learn something along the way. However, The misunderstanding plot does put a hold on the story. Thankfully it gets back on track but I feel that the characters might have mooped and dooped a little too long. The characters are very good and each have well done personality traits. Anastasia herself is a very good female protagonist. She is mentally strong and willing to go above and beyond to find out who she really is. Demetrie is a sneaky con artist and overtime, begins to have a change of heart after going through the long journey. There's also a cute dog sidekick named Pooka. He's great for lightening the mood in certain scenes. Admittedly he might be overplayed especially when comes to Anastasia being in danger, but he still does maintain his purpose. Then there's Rasputin and his sidekick Bartok. Christopher lloyd really does a great job playing Rasputin and I can tell he's having a lot of fun in the role. Bartok is also funny and kinda cute. He's kinda like a mentor to Rasputin but he never listens. it's kinda funny to me in some weird fashion. I do wish Rasputin could have more time on screen because he's actually very interesting and very threatening but at least they kept the focus on Anastasia and her journey. The animation is very good but there are certain scenes that were unbelievable to look at. The first one is when Anastasia is singing inside the old castle and all the sudden these ghostly like people from the past come down and she dances around them as it was like reliving a memory. The second scene is when Anastasia is sleep walking and thinks she's in a magical wonderland while in reality Rasputin is trying to trick her into death and it's very freaky. The music score is also very good and the songs are either energetic or charmingly soft. The songs aren't too memorable, but the one song that is memorable and catchy is sung by Rasputin and it's called "In the Dark of the Night". This is a great villain song and I was just listening in awe of how amazingly evil this number was. Anastasia might not be Don Bluth's best film but I still think it's very entertaining movie and it deserves more attention then people are giving it credit for. (A-)
Bradley T. Johnson
January 21, 2017
I don't know exactly why it has taken me so long to view Anastasia. When I was a kid, these were the types of movies I lived on and Anastasia had I watched younger, would have most likely been one of those few I watched over and over. Now as a twenty-year old I was still enraptured in this film and its epic scope and dazzling music. It follows Disney's formula, while besting them occasionally at it, and tells an important and rather dark story built upon true events that are even darker. Anastasia as a character is a brilliant depiction of a strong, independent woman who is feminine but also fiery and harder-edged than typical princessess' from Disney during this time. The music is what ultimately sells this film. It is a full fledged musical with Broadway style dance numbers and hard hitting ballads. Stephen Flaherty composes some wonderful songs that lift the film when it starts to lag and his work in Broadway musicals such as Ragtime is evident in the films showstopping numbers. Minor flaws include a villain who seems disconnected from the main storyline at times and a slight pacing lag near the end. However, Anastasia is a film that gives Disney a run for its money. Rating: 82
November 11, 2016
Gorgeous animation, beautiful songs, fun characters and a great voice cast make this a rare non-Disney animated win.
½ October 8, 2016
It's bad. It's really not good. I don't like Don Bluth.
½ September 19, 2016
A film that wants to be a Disney fairy tale. The 2D animation is pretty good, the 3D animation (which isn't used a whole lot, thankfully) however is sub-par. The voice acting by Meg Ryan (Anastasia), John Cusack (Dimitri), Kelsey Grammar (Vlad), and Hank Azaria (Bartok) is fantastic and they make their characters believable, likable and real. Angela Lansbury is completely wasted and doesn't sound too interested in her role, and Christopher Lloyd is way too expressive as Rasputin, Jim Cummings fares much better as Rasputin's singing voice in the song In The Dark of The Night. Speaking of which, the songs for the most part are pretty good as well. I liked the story too, although it's kind of obvious how it's all going to play out and the big climax is pretty weak. Anastasia is not the Disney Fairy tale it so badly wants to be, but it does come close at times. It's got plenty of emotion, heart, and it's plenty entertaining though out. I really liked it.
August 31, 2016
Anastasia has top-notch animation, but few ideas of its own, content to recycle ideas from the Disney films it is so obviously trying to emulate.
July 27, 2016
Anastasia has its problems including the ending which is so troublesome in its message, the villain disappointed me in the end and the middle parts were subpar and burdened with too many songs, but the movie is still so good with very memorable and well defined characters, a spectacular animation, an emotional and well crafted storyline and such a great soundtrack with many great songs including Journey to the Past and Once Upon a December which are absolutely fantastic. It succeeds as a musical, but it is also incredibly entertaining and heartwarming and it is definitely the finest effort from Don Bluth and my personal favorite of his.
July 22, 2016
Two Thumbs Up Siskel And Ebert
July 19, 2016
This attempt at being Disney takes too far a leap from history, and gets exceptionally boring once the plot becomes about whether or not she's who she says she is.
April 3, 2016
Underrated female protagonist. Essentially the gender opposite of Disney's Hercules but still refreshingly beautiful story.
½ March 27, 2016
Gran adaptación para cine animado. Una de las princesas más queridas de películas animadas!
February 27, 2016
An amazing movie. The animation is fantastic as well as the acting. The music is absolutely beautiful. And the story line pulls through all the way. Overall it's an excellent movie
February 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time, but the poster photo is for the wrong movie??
½ January 24, 2016
Elegantly animated, terrifically voiced (acted?), and wonderfully musical, this princess tale's familiarity is outmatched by its talent.
January 17, 2016
Garbage. The characters are uninteresting, the villain is scotch-taped onto the story, and the plot is nothing but a cheap rip-off of the Disney formula. Oh, and it runs the name of a historical figure through the mud.

Oh look, stuff from the Golden version somehow ended up here. Guess the directors weren't the only ones who just didn't care.
½ December 29, 2015
A Childhood favorite. Who needs Disney?
November 2, 2015
A film that tries and tries to seem original when it's basically a generic film. Anastasia herself felt way too much like they were trying to make her seem like she was tough and unique, when she just felt like every 90's female character at the time. She acted tough and spoke her mind when in the end of the film, she needs to be rescued by her love interest.

Meg Ryan does give a good performance as the Russian princess, but it bothers me how she didn't have an accent, especially when they're pushing the whole history of Russia and the family in our faces. Her parents had accents and she was the Russian princess for crying out loud.

Dimitri, played by John Cusack, is her love interest and they undergo what every couple did in the 90's. They can't stand each other for the first two-thirds of the film and it's unbearable. You just KNOW they're going to get together in the end, but they rub it in your face too much by making them dislike each other. The songs are pretty forgettable, except for Once Upon A December.

Good for the kids, but I'm not sure of the adults or younger adults.
October 26, 2015
Anastasia proves that after all his downfalls, Don Bluth can still make a good film