The Lost Continent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Continent Reviews

½ August 4, 2017
Oddball Hammer Studios picture about a proverbial ship of the dammed, a group of disparate passengers on a dilapidated cruise liner on their way to South America are struck by a storm that leaves them stranded on a dangerous uncharted island containing all sorts of dangers. Those dangers include various prehistoric monsters and even some remnants/descendants from the Spanish Inquisition who think that's still a thing (OMG, that's so 1478!). It's not terrible, but it is entertaining enough if you're in the mood for prehistoric monster, pirates, and Jules Verne/Rudyard Kipling-like adventures.
May 7, 2017
Love this film,one of hammer films finest.well known michael ripper on many hammer films..a must see for any sci fi/horror fan..
½ December 9, 2015
Although Hammer are one of the production companies with their name on this, it is an atypical Hammer Horror - it's set in the present for a start. The cast is a little lightweight and the monsters too imagined than out of myth as they usually are from this movie house.
½ December 29, 2013
pretty lame one of hammer's weakest entries
August 3, 2013
Based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley called 'Uncharted Seas' which kinda explains itself really. Yep once again we have another adventure which sees a group of people who are lost at sea and end up in some kind of twilight zone or dimension X where time stands still.

The plot is pretty common really and there seems to have been quite a few people write stories around this premise. This time the group of people on board the ship seem to be misfits of society or outcasts, people in trouble with the law etc...This is fine but unfortunately for most of the time you don't really care about them because they are all nasty to each other. Heck even the Captain acts all suspicious and grumpy for a lot of the time...and he's suppose to be the hero!. A lot of attention is given to the characters though that's for sure, very deep backgrounds going on, lots of dark areas etc...Its just a shame they didn't really interest me personally, I wanted to see monsters damn it!.

So due to carrying some rather dangerous explosive cargo and the fact most of the passengers can't go back to port in case some get nabbed by the police (most are in general trouble with various reasons), the ship continues into stormy weather. Low and behold something goes wrong, the ships hull is damaged putting the dangerous substance in jeopardy, AND there is a mutiny from the grunts below deck about the whole situation with the cargo. Thusly everyone eventually abandons ship after much arguing and scuffling.

Rather oddly the small group of people float their way back to their ship after some shark issues and carry on as planned. The only difference now is they are in some unknown uncharted area. This is mainly when the film kicks into gear and into weirdness. The uncharted area they drift into is full of skeleton ships, wrecks, the sea is covered in some deadly seaweed that strangles people to death and their is a mysterious island ahead. So the first half of the film was some kind of seabound 60's drama which was kinda dull, and now the second half turns into your typical Edgar Rice Burroughs type adventure into the unknown...but still looking very 60's

Its actually quite eerie and well directed, there is a nice sense of errr...mystery I guess as its not clear what the hell is going on (other than they are in some kind of twilight zone). Things take a turn for the surreal when a lone girl reaches the ship by walking across the seaweed covered sea surface using big paddles under her feet and two balloons attached to her shoulders presumably for balance. A very Terry Gilliam-esque look about it that idea.

Turns out she is Spanish and descended from people who got stuck in this weird place centuries ago (I presume?). There are also members of the Spanish Inquisition trapped in this place too, they are also descendants of people trapped eons before and the two groups fight each other in a religious war. The leader of the Spanish soldiers is a child and descendant of the Spanish Conquistadores...and a brat. I guess the hard thing to believe here is the fact these people have been fighting each other for all this time yet never once thought to stop and try escape from this bizarre dimension X type place. Also, what happened to everyone else from all the other ships??.

Naturally fighting ensues between the Spanish and the folk off the ship. There is some monster action in here too with a 'Sarlacc' type sea monster (hmm I wonder Mr Lucas, copy much?), a giant scorpion and a giant hermit crab but you hardly see much, no stop motion goodness, just big rubber models that wobble. The battle sequence on board the galleon is quite good, quite a lot of death and fire, the Spanish all look reasonable authentic and the galleon itself is OK, obvious set of course.

Its an odd film really, very strange in mood and story, the Spanish folk just seemed obscure, I was expecting battles with sea beasties. On the downside as I said before its also hard to get behind anyone in the film because they are all so unlikable. The cast are all pretty unknown to me which doesn't help (despite being a Hammer production) but admittedly the Captain (Eric Porter) is the clear winner in terms of performance.

I think the film is decent enough, it looks great for sure, production values must have been good. You can tell its all on sets but it still looks polished and well thought out, the mysterious uncharted sea also looks good with matte painting work and models. I just get the impression the original novel probably explains things in better detail and delves deeper, the film feels like it skimming over plot in places.

The films ending is open ended which is cool and again eerie as we never know what happens to these people. I'm unsure whether this is a good adaptation of the book or not, certainly seems well crafted and definitely enjoyable at times. Starts off very slow but gets more and more intriguing, bit of a hidden gem I would say, cult for sure, worth the watch but will probably split opinions.
November 16, 2012
Weird but mildly intriguing fantasy adventure--Bizarrely superb!!
January 9, 2012
For years, I really believed I had dreamed this entire movie. I vividly remembered the blood sucking seaweeds, the giant crab attack, and the weird Spanish Inquisition bad guys. Not to mention the snow shoe balloon transportation. I think I saw it one Saturday afternoon on like Superhost or maybe Channel 61's Ghoulardi revival. Either way, when I would ask people if they ever saw anything like this movie, I would get a bunch of blank stares or maybe a furtive "Sounds like Mysterious Island, huh?" No. Because they did not slog around under two balloons strapped to their shoulders, now did they?

Anyway, thanks to the internet I was able to track down the title of this movie long ago. I have only now gotten around to re-visiting it. In part because I know it would be terrible. And in part because once the mystery was solved, I was content to live with the happy memories of the weirdness, secure in the fact that I did not misremember some other B film.

I made Noelle watch this tonight for subjecting me to a weekend's worth of Russell Brand stories, youtube clips, and podcasts. She did not make it through the whole thing. In fact, she got so disgusted by the crab and scorpion monster fight that she shuffled off to take a bath. Brand's My Booky Wooky safely tucked under her arm.

This movie, like so many of it's fellow Hammer House Horrors, takes an awful long time to set the stage for the horror. An awful long time. So much time is spent on the set up, I think they had to either cut out a major section at the end or more likely just left that part of the script un-filmed. Specifically, how the heroes manage to build a raft, a catapult, and then find the bad guys gallery just in time to save their buddies.

In addition to being a completely worthless group of people - all with "terribly" scandalously British deviancy (rich nympo, disgraced mistress, lecherous bounty hunter, perverted father, terrible sailors, alcoholic piano man!) - they are completely unflustered by the most shocking things. For instance, when the weed attacks Lansen, everyone just sits there, bored. Barely caring enough to check to see if he is okay or what the seaweed managed to inflict. Then when the cook goes overboard into a bloody mess, the whole lifeboat is like "oh dear, did something happen?"

This is not to mention probably one of the worst shark attacks ever filmed. Seriously dreadful.

The only saving grace other than the balloons is really Ricaldi's slimy presence. Too bad he gets pulled off the boat by some green glowing eye tentacle monster. I would have liked to have seen more of both of them things.
April 7, 2011
Una curiosa película de la Hammer: un barco mercante, con un pasaje sospechoso y un cargamento ilegal y peligroso. La claustrofobia y las problemáticas (e insulsas) relaciones humanas ocupan gran parte de la cinta, que tarda demasiado en derivar hacia la tradición literaria de las aventuras marinas (el Mar de los Sargazos, los risibles moluscos gigantes) y que desaprovecha su potencial vertiente de culto ( la presencia de los descendientes de los conquistadores españoles y su radical secta post-inquisitorial). La obra nunca regala lo que promete. Demasiado seria para explotar la vena del desmadre, demasiado floja para tomársela en serio.
½ February 3, 2011
A strange little Hammer film. Bizarre and weird take on the lost world scenario. An interesting watch.
September 23, 2010
Entertaining enough in that well-thumbed paperback way the majority of Hammer's films seem to have aspired to: you can practically see the sweat and smudges on the lens, if not the wit and lively undercurrents the better Corman directors of the period might have injected, handed this assignment. Carreras subscribes to an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink policy, tossing in Conquistador descendants played by frightful 17-year-old stage-school brats, Jimmy Hanley as a stuttering comic-relief dogsbody who meets his demise between the pincers of a giant crab, the jawdropping cleavage of Dana Gillespie as a rebel princess, and a big, phosphorus-enhanced explosion to conclude with. Title song by "The Peddlers".
September 3, 2010
The Lost Continent represents Hammer's entry in the "lost world" sub-genre of film, and it ultimately develops into a stylish, highly entertaining, and bizarre piece of sci-fi schlock. The film's first hour simply follows the exploits of a shady sea captain whose old, dilapidated boat only attracts passengers who are willing to pay a high price for passage out of particular countries. This hour of the film is not bad--it's stylish, tense, and atmospheric, but it simply takes too long to get the ship's crew and passengers off the boat and onto the lost continent. The lost continent is revealed in a series of strange, stylish encounters between the passengers and creatures or natives from the lost continent. The creatures are actually pretty cool, and the sound stages are just weird and atmospheric enough to work. Overall, a very enjoyable Hammer production but a bit lopsided in terms of plot.
August 18, 2010
½ March 6, 2010
Untypical 1960s Hammer production and adaption of Dennis Wheatley's Unchartered Seas. Whilst it's not up to the standard of Hammer's brilliant adaption of Wheatley's The Devil Rides Out, this boys own adventure type story has become a bit of a cult classic. There's a tasty musical score from Gerald Schurmann and a mixed cast including Eric Porter, German songstress Hildegard Knef, Tony Beckley, Dana Gillespie and Norman Eshley.
June 21, 2009
Title is both ironic and stunningly accurate. Meandering plot never quite sorts itself out. Half-baked intrigue, annoying idiot passengers. Much too long a wait before it finally gets to the lost Spanish Inquisition boat and big floppy rubber monsters. Amusing, but not quite enough.
April 26, 2009
A strange movie which easily could have been a lot better. We are 2/3 into the film before we finally arrive at "The Lost Continent". During this time we have witnessed a slow, dull and mostly unnecessary build-up. This is a shame because the story line concerning the lost continent could have been developed into so much more. But unfortunately the potensial remains unredeemed.
½ February 13, 2009
Really strange adventure film from Hammer is even more outlandish than most "lost world" movies, but unfortunately not as entertaining as it should be. It does have an original story, fun cheesy special effects, and some bizarre creatures - and some of the fantasy visuals are extraordinary - but director Michael Carreras' pacing is incredibly awkward: it starts off really slow with a lot of dull character development, then rushes through the last part where all the actual action is. Fun for B-movie fans who can tolerate some slow spots, even if it is a step below Hammer's usual high quality.
½ January 8, 2009
Cool monsters and hot babes here! a nice hammer production! After the hurricane the crew is trapped by Sargassi's Sea and has to survive ! They fights vs Rebels, monsters and a xvi century single-minded ppl who's controlled from a fucked Inquisition's preacher.
good.
December 7, 2008
The first Hammer film I ever saw! Saw it on late-night TV when I was about 7 and it's been a favorite since!
½ November 6, 2008
It takes a full hour to get to the "Lost Continent." Before the characters arrive there, we're treated to what is basically "The Love Boat" on crack. Then there's man-eating seaweed, and then there's people who walk on it with snowshoes and balloons strapped to their shoulders. Weird, weird, weird.
July 14, 2008
Amazingly bizarre and underappreciated Hammer horror movie. If you think you'd like watching members of the Spanish Inquisition dressed like the KKK trapped on carnivorous seaweed and subjugating lost ships to do their bidding, this is the movie for you. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Dana Gillespie and say...DAAAAAAMN!