Wide Awake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wide Awake Reviews

June 17, 2011
I thought The Sixth Sense was his first movie...
½ June 3, 2011
Im gonna review all of M.Night Shymalan's movies as I think he is an interesting director to talk about. This is his first movie and I think it's a very pretentious,boring and un funny film with some drama that comes off as rather dull. There's not much to say about this movie it's just bland. But this was before M.Night Shymalan was M.Night Shymalan it's his first movie and everyone starts somewhere so if you look at his filmography this movie really doesn't count. Lucky for him hardly anyone saw this film and he went on to do The Sixth Sense.
May 24, 2011
Adorable, down-to-earth, and spiritually in-depth. There's more to this film than what you may have heard.
January 31, 2011
very cute. one of my all time favorites
December 29, 2010
Rosie O'Donnell is NOT hilarious in this movie, as is promised by the big red quote on the cover, supposedly from the Boston Phoenix. After seeing this movie, my wife and I wondered if whoever wrote that from the Phoenix actually saw this. Rosie had, it seemed, less than a dozen lines that might have been amusing at the most. Going into this one with the wrong expectations, which the marketing seemed to promote, could set viewers up for disappointment. It wasn't what we expected, although in a different frame of mind we might have enjoyed it more.
December 21, 2010
Sweet, charming and very emotional story about a kid looking for God. Mr. Shyamalan: please remember that, like this movie, there are more genres out there than the supernatural thriller.
October 19, 2010
M. Night Shyamalan's first film went quietly by.
½ September 21, 2010
There was an M. Night Shyamalan movie before "The Sixth Sense", and here it is: "Wide Awake". And there it goes. It sucked.
June 21, 2010
i have a memory of a snake.
½ April 19, 2010
A year in the life of a fifth grade boy who grows up and discovers what life is like.
M. Night Shyamalan's first major movie starts out pretty slow, but picks up nicely as you get to know the characters.

Just a note:
Contrary to what the advertising makes it look like this is NOT a comedy.

Worth a rent.
April 2, 2010
Cheesy, but watchable in a pinch
½ February 11, 2010
An unknown gem from Mr.Shyamalan. Out of print but check it out on YouTube. The only time Rosie O'Donnell has ever been tolerable.
February 5, 2010
This has always been one of my favorite movies! Don't let the cover fool you, its actually very touching. I don't care what anybody says, this is a masterpiece! Its very under appreciated and not a lot of people seem to know this movie, but I've always loved it.
January 17, 2010
m night shymalan's first film, i gotta say i enjoyed it. It definatly shows the signs that lead to the build up for him to create the sixth sense.
January 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure this thing was M. Night Shalaman's first attempt at directing... the story is blah (a kid's grampa dies unexpectedly even though he's like 80, and so the kid is confused why gramps had to die and has all these questions for God and about God) and Rosie O'Donnell's in it... skip it.
December 25, 2009
amazing lovable, it remembers me the childhood. i just... i cried so much. that's all.
½ December 8, 2009
An earnest first feature film by M. Night Shyamalan about a young boy's quest to discover not really the existence of God but questions and dealing with living life. Wide Awake is surprisingly good, as it gives real emotion and exploration of the issues it brings up.
October 14, 2009
i'm officially into the no M. Night Shyamalan zone now
September 14, 2009
This movie's alright. Nothing special, but it's not bad. And believe it or not, this early M. Night Shyamalan family comedy (that doesn't show an ounce of M. Night Shyamalan style) still manages to have somewhat of a twist near the end. I wasn't expecting it, because the movie is so unlike anything else he's done.
½ September 11, 2009
The performance of the kids in this film were stunning especially Joshua's. this movie takes some low-blows to get you there.