Easy Living - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easy Living Reviews

August 4, 2015
Effortless screwball comedy scripted by Preston Sturges and directed by Mitchell Leisen that dashes madly from start (when rich banker Edward Arnold drops a fur coat off the balcony and it lands on poor Jean Arthur's head) to finish (when, you know, steel is up again, Arthur has fallen for Ray Milland, everyone finally knows what's what and another fur coat falls on another head). In other words, this is ridiculousness laced with slapstick and the sublime, studded with oddball character actors from the '30s. Arnold is at his gruff, confused but lovable best and Arthur is the original well-meaning airhead (Milland is impossibly young here). You can see why Sturges soon got his own directing gigs since his script is perfect but Leisen probably made it all more lavish. Pure escapism (although you might end up thinking about the 1% and then this Cinderella story might turn a bit sour, so don't).
January 10, 2013
Fantastic screwball comedy at the BFI tonight
November 12, 2012
written by preston sturges
February 20, 2012
Loved the story line of this movie, shows everyone has a day when things go right,
November 22, 2011
A financier throws a fur coat out of the window and starts an unexpected chain of events. Lovely humour.
March 31, 2011
an absolute delight. sturges' wonderful script, leisen's light touch, and adorable jean arthur. what else could u ask for!
November 13, 2010
I thought this screwball comedy was a lot of fun when I saw it on TCM and it made sense when I heard Preston Sturges had written it. How could anyone NOT love Jean Arthur?
½ September 18, 2010
I liked this movie it has one of those stories that are driven along by coincidences, and it all gets very silly by the end.
½ July 24, 2010
Never uproarious the way later Sturges scripts could be, but thoroughly sweet and enjoyable. The camera loves Jean Arthur almost as much as I do, now.
May 5, 2010
One of my absolutely favorite screwball comedies that doesn't get that much mention today. It is often overlooked. Jean Arthur is my ideal queen of screwball. She never fails to make me laugh. This is so brilliant with the right amount of witty humor. One of the best scenes is in the diner. It's just the perfect, classic, & ridiculous screwball moment. Too much to love about this one. Honestly. See it for yourself.
April 30, 2010
Yet another Preston Sturges film that I find turgid, contrived, and frankly, boring. I keep watching them, hoping that I'll discover the "comic genius" that everyone talks about, but he still eludes me.
½ August 22, 2009
Jean Arthur is such a delightful actress. I will never understand why she is not listed among the great classic stars, or why she was so often overlooked for the Academy Awards. This is a great classic screwball comedy, a joy from start to finish.
February 14, 2009
Hilarious screwball comedy with another terrific performance by Jean Arthur (extremely underrated) and a knockout performance by Eward Arnold as the crazed millionaire. Preston Stuges creates another wonderful yarn and it moves like gangbusters! Highly recommended.
½ February 9, 2009
This is a pretty standard screwball comedy from the era, which means it is very well made. The action moves very fast and the characters barely have time to breath in between their lines. Arthur does an admirable job as always. She is an extremely likeable film star. The story just wasn't quite ridiculous enough for me. The level of hilarity and ridiculousness one often sees in screwball comedies of the era, and from homage's of far later eras, just wasn't quite there. The action never reached the fevered pitch I was hoping for. Great script from Sturges. He manages to churn out an entire feature length film on the basis of one little joke essentially. Entertaining, but nothing special compared to other Sturges pictures or other top notch screwballs from the era.
December 8, 2008
Festlig screwballkomedi med manus av Preston Sturges, och följsam regi av Mitchell Leisen. Har det mesta man väntar sig av en Sturges-film: rapp dialog, minnesvärda biroller, högt tempo ?? och ännu mer slapstick än vanligt.
½ November 5, 2008
The funniest movie I had never heard of before. Jean Arthur is always wonderful, but is at her peak here.
October 20, 2008
An adorable, fluffy screwball comedy. Certainly not Sturges' finest, but there are definitely elements of his writing here. Also, Jean Arthur is completely charming.
October 3, 2008
Not one of my favorites from 30s indeed.
½ September 15, 2008
Really solid screwball comedy written by Preston Sturges. Jean Arthur is amazing