The Mark of Zorro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mark of Zorro Reviews

½ November 3, 2013
Probably one of the best of many incarnations of this character. This time played by Tyrone Power who wears the mask to save Old California from the evil Acalde.
October 19, 2013
Captain Esteban Pasquale (Basil Rathbone): His Excellency will never forgive me if I let you go without a word of welcome from him. I'm quite sure that you'll save me a reprimand.
Don Diego Vega (Tyrone Power): How could I refuse a man anything with a naked sword in his hand?

This was actually pretty darn good. The story was pretty straight-forward and familiar for any fans of Zorro. I think I'm beginning to be a fan of Tyrone Power. I finally see the attraction because he was undeniably charming and amusing in this movie. His acting ability (more than his good looks) was the real star of this film because his talent was able to showcase the duality of Don Diego's personality with great balance. He was as convincing as fop that was Don Diego, as he was the heroic Zorro. Equally brilliant was Basil Rathbone, who played Captain Estaban. He was a great classic villain (the kind you loved to hate) and the sword fighting between him and Power was surprisingly exciting. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both mastered swordplay for this film. Linda Darnell was gorgeous and played the innocent wall-flower Lolita Quintero perfectly. The rest of the cast was awesome as well and played their parts beautifully; mad props to Gale Sondegaard, who played Senora Quintero; she was devilishly devious, but at the same time all too simple and gullible that it was too irresistible not to rejoicing in her inevitable failure. Although this isn't really the usual genre I normally like viewing, the movie was still very entertaining and I found it really enjoyable to watch.
July 9, 2013
Tyrone Power - the swashbuckling answer to Errol Flynn - is cast as the agile masked avenger who decides to take up the people's cause in disguise leaving his 'mark' "Z" everywhere, on walls, coach, wooden barrels and human chest...

Power - in a double leading role - is at his best as Zorro, climbing, jumping, riding and fencing, determined to finish with tyranny and oppression by terrorizing, and retrieving taxation funds and by challenging a cunning officer, proving in public his indifference, his ostentation and irony as a perfect pacifist fop in 19th-Century Spanish California, confusing and deceiving his aristocratic father Don Alejandro Vega (Montagu Love), the deposed Alcalde...

The inspired casting (in supporting roles) recalls "The Adventures of Robin Hood."

Linda Darnell is the pretty Lolita, Quintero's charming niece, who loves the mysterious hero and can't tolerate the fop until she is told that they are the image of the same person...

Basil Rathbone, one of the most durable of screen villains who has mastered stage fencing but never won a Swordfight, plays the cruel captain Esteban Pasquale, the Alcalde's military adviser... He is a second-rate soldier of fortune who leads the campaign of frustrating taxation, who considered Diego "a fancy clown" but who suggests a practical plan, an alliance for the good of the state...

J. Edward Bromberg is the cowardly Alcalde, Don Luis Quintero, a corrupted thief, enemy of the people, whose tyranny and avarice are always enforced by the treachery of his iron hand, the rigorous captain Esteban...

Eugene Palette plays the mission 'fat' priest (Father Felipe) who ignores that Diego is the opposing force...

The high point of the picture is the fantastic duel between Power and Rathbone, a masterpiece of screen Swordplay...

Rouben Mamoulian succeeds in making two great stars dance to an unheard music... With a touch of a great filmmaker, Mamoulian mixes harmoniously movement and action, decor and lightning with rage and turmoil, heroism and romance...

Under Alfred Newman's Oscar-Nominated score and despite the unusual absence of Technicolor, the film (the first of the great Tyrone Power swashbucklers ) is great fun, full of vitality and suspense, an exciting, deliciously ironic swashbuckler...
April 14, 2013
This film is fantastic, far better than the later remakes, a nice role with bad guy Basil Rathbone ,no major violence, just a great feel good film, such a shame Tyrone died so young
March 20, 2013
Tyrone Power is quite fun as the masked vigilante Zorro, taking over the role originated by Douglas Fairbanks 20 years earlier in this remake. The film is just as good as the silent original, if not a bit better, as it adds in more characterization and backstory to flesh out the story. Power is quite likable in the role, maybe not as acrobatic as Fairbanks, but quite good in the fight scenes nonetheless. Basil Rathbone is quite good as the villain as well. This is a classic swashbuckler, highly recommended for any fans of classic action and adventure.
March 19, 2013
While it shows its age a little with a sometimes slow pace and 'Zorro' Zorro is really only in the film for maybe 10 minutes, Mark is still a classic and rousing adventure of yesteryear, with some great dashes of verbal humour, mainly from Diego (Power), good performances from its capable cast, especially Rathbone as the villainous captain, and some well filmed sword fights, especially the climatic duel with the Captain, which still manages to thrill and excite even all these decades later, a testament to its quality.
½ March 17, 2013
This movie is a lot of fun and stands the test of time. Love the horse! It's my favourite Zorro although I was a little taken aback by the tightness of Tyrone Powers' pants (blush)
February 24, 2013
Quizás el origen del zorro esté demasiado flojo a comparación de la última vez que vimos a este personaje y sus inicios en el cine, pero Tyrone hace un magistral juego del heroe y su alter ego, siempre tan cautivador y agresivo.
Si a esto le contamos que el villano es el siempre agraciado Rathbone, ver todo ese choque de egos y al fin contemplar su explosión a travez de un duelo de espadas impecable, fino, y emocionante.
½ February 10, 2013
Americans playing Spanish people...I can dig it. This is just a good old fashioned, Saturday matinee adventure film with a very charming Tyrone Power as our masked hero. Even by 1940's standards, the fights still hold true and the romance and action are not wasted.

Grade: B+
½ February 5, 2013
Certainly the best of the Zorro's. Well written, directed, and edited; this has plenty of action yet the plot doesn't feel rushed or skip around. Excellent film for all ages.
½ February 2, 2013
Hands down one of my favorite movies ever. I loved watching it as a young kid and still love it now as a slightly older kid. Usually you don't say that an old movie is badass, or kicks ass or rocks your socks or is Freaking Awesome but this would be the one of the few exception to the rules. He's Mexican Batman...Nuff said.
January 27, 2013
It's one of the all-time great swashbucklers. thanks 2 tyrone power
½ September 13, 2012
Delightful piece of swashbuckling fun--Tyrone Power: Badass In Black!!
September 12, 2012
Classic!

yrone Power plays it to the hilt, and is especially good in his alter ego of the effeminate fop, Don Diego. He may not be quite as acrobatic as Fairbanks was in the original silent version but it doesn't detract from the performance. And Power was a fencer, so his sword fighting scenes certainly rang true. Put him with that elegant gentleman, Basil Rathbone, also an excellent swordsman, and you get one of the best sword fights in film history. Rathbone is the other shining star of this film. He oozes evil and was the master of the condescending sneer.
½ August 28, 2012
The Mark of Zorro is an adventure film directed by Rouben Mamoulian and produced by Darryl F. Zanuck. Tyrone Power plays Don Diego Vega/Zorro, Linda Darnell as his love interest, and Basil Rathbone as main antagonist villain. Film received nomination for Best original score in the 1941. It is a remake of silent version of 1920. Zorro was originally created in 1919 by magazine pulp-writer Johnston McDulley, Zorro is a man of justice, sword-slinger, and clever/witty.

When you star to watch this film, you should feel like being drifted away on silky winds of entertainment. It doesn't pulls more of weight from different corners of each characters, hence we become compelled to praise the director for finishing it in stylized-manner. Tyrone proved a typical choice for 'Zoror' due to his charming looks, he was truly wonderful actor. He could deliver dialogues at edgy turns. Anyone should love this classic piece of entertainment. Highly recommend it for superb cast, beautiful plot, clever (jester) dialogues.
½ May 13, 2012
the first great Zorro
March 31, 2012
One of my all time favorite movies... Swashbuckling, humor, excitement, drama. Why move to California and raise fat children!
December 2, 2011
I want to see this movie.
½ November 24, 2011
A near-perfect execution in economical storytelling that Hollywood could certainly learn from today. The Mark of Zorro is near flawless from the perspective of narrative - no fat here, to be sure (yet, conversely, one never feels anything has been left on the editing room floor). The 20th Century Fox depiction is stellar in most every way - the lead Power as heroic Zorro; Rathbone as the arrogant antagonist; to the simplistic but oh-so-engaging plot, the Mark of Zorro has lost none of its appeal. A sword-rattling 93 minute action-adventure fit for the whole family.