Of Mice and Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Of Mice and Men Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
No wonder why Lon Chaney Jr. was propelled to stardom after shining as Lennie in this solid adaptation of Steinbeck's good story, as he finds the perfect tone for a mentally disabled character who could have become really irritating if played by a lesser actor.
March 24, 2016
I didn't want to hurt him.

Two workers travel the countryside doing any work they can to make a living. One of the men is mentally challenged and reliant on his best friend George, his companion. The mentally challenged worker seems harmless and passive, but his strength is sometimes more than he realizes and he causes unfortunate mishaps.

"He got kicked in the head when he was a kid."

Lewis Milestone, director of All Quiet on the Western Front, Mutiny on the Bounty, Ocean's Eleven, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, and Pork Chop Hill, delivers Of Mice and Men. The storyline for this picture is very well told and contains fascinating characters and settings. The action is excellent and the cast includes Burgess Meredith, Lon Chaney Jr, Charles Bickford, Bob Steele, and Noah Berry Jr.

"I ain't meant to live like this."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. I love these classics like Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mocking Bird. This has a very similar feel and pace and the story comes together and concludes perfectly. This is an all time classic that is worth your time.

"I can see it!"

Grade: A
February 26, 2016
A spectacular presentation on the screen. The performances by the whole cast where great, especially Chaney as Lenny. Some of the cinematography was amazing, especially for it being from 1939.
October 30, 2015
This movie is so much better than the 1992 remake. They tried but it didn't have the same feel to it. So many younger people won't watch it which is a shame, my daughter wouldn't because it was in black and white.
September 7, 2015
What should be an emotional tour de force with its storytelling and acting supremacy is unfortunately bogged down by Hollywood's need to provide a recycled soundtrack and overtly exposition-heavy dialogue. However, it's still a worthwhile viewing no doubt, and if you are sensitive to the subject matter should pull the tear trigger.
July 26, 2015
I am just sticking with the newer film with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. I am not interested in black and white films.
May 9, 2015
Good adaptation of the sad novel.
April 24, 2015
A truly terrific film that completely exceeded my expectations. A simple & stirring film about two drifters...Lennie a tall, very strong but simple man & his best bud George who is sharp as a tack played perfectly by Burgess Meredith (the coach in Rocky).

The film is so honest & truthful it's a story of people & who they are & what they do. There are many tender & beautiful scenes but the one that stayed in my mind is where an old farmer is forced to put down his dog & the emotional impact of this is surreal:

I was completely blown away by it & was much more impressed than I thought I would be. 1939 was a great year for cinema & this was truly one of the years finest.
½ April 4, 2015
We all read the book at school and so we know what happens in this, and that sort of took my interest away a bit. I've not seen Lon Chaney in a non-horror before, he did a good job as Lenny, even if his character gets annoying after a while.
March 19, 2015
The best adaptation of Steinbeck's classic novel. I'm sure better reviews have been written, so I only have a couple of thoughts to offer. The film is about alienation and the desperate need to be wanted and loved. I must say that Lon Chaney, Jr. should have been nominated for an Oscar for his heart-rending portrayal of Lennie.
February 24, 2015
The balancing of heartfelt characters in different ways is approached in a good way while also commenting on its society through both class and gender considerations. The interplay between Meredith and Lon is rather strong.
February 23, 2015
good version of this
January 7, 2015
Lon Chaney Jr got an Oscar nomination as mentally disabled Lenny Small, and in any other year, both he and this film would have walked away with trophies. But this is 1939. Steinbeck's novel is brilliantly brought to life via Hal Roach and a cost including very young Burgess Meredith and Wallace Berry. A lost classic. Essential.
½ January 5, 2015
In impressive simultaneity, "Of Mice And Men" manages to not only erect an enticing visual manifestation of the classic Steinbeck novel, but it also succeeds in firmly representing everything its source material put forth.
½ July 30, 2014
(First and only viewing - 2/15/2011)
½ May 20, 2014
This movie is a classic based off of the novel by John Steinbeck. It is a must see for classic movie enthusiasts, however if you've read the book, it is exactly what you would expect. It's an unfortunate story with a not so pleasant ending. Definitely a film to see to say you've seen it.
April 30, 2014
Recently finished this film for a school assignment; and I have to say, even though I've never read the book, I feel like it captured the truth of the Depression Era and I quickly got attached to the characters and got to know them and that is the sign of a good adaptation of a good book.
April 5, 2014
By far the best filmed version of Steinbeck's classic. Lon Chaney, Jr.'s performance is heartbreaking.
½ February 27, 2014
a well made film that has sensible story