The Godson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godson Reviews

March 14, 2015
Love Dangerfield but hate the trailers and clips.
December 11, 2013
This movie is abysmal.
October 13, 2013
Everyone's two favorite fattys Rodney Dangerfield and Dom DeLuise star in this comedy mocking mafia films. As good as Mafia!.
½ June 21, 2013
The Godson has potential because its a parody of the famous Godfather trilogy and other gangster films, but the main reason I watched it was because Rodney Dangerfield was listed as having a predominant role, but he doesn't come in until 27 minutes into the film and by that point I practically don't care any more.
The antics of Dom Deluise are somewhat entertaining because his performance is greatly reminiscent of Marlon Brando's in The Godfather in terms of characterisation and voice, and that provides vague entertainment for an extended period of time, but the time in the film is too extended and after sitting through what feels like 90 minutes of boring unfunny dynamics, it becomes clear through sad realisation that only 34 minutes have passed, a sad and boring 34 minutes which foreshadowing another painful 62 minutes in which Kevin McDonald fails to good his own on screen and instead of being a clever comedic send-up of gangster films, his character is essentially an insult to them, and his childish voice is best reserved for his well known role in Lilo and Stitch. Essentially, nobody bothered to put any effort into The Godson aside from the two top-billed actors and it essentially becomes a foreshadowing of the poor quality direct-to-video distribution that is usually reserved for films of this calibre.

It's unfortunate the careers of Dom Deluise and Rodney Dangerfield have sunk this low, because they actually put effort into The Godson with a convincing a clever role from Dom Deluise and a stereotypical and funny wiseguy role from Rodney Dangerfield, and Lou Ferrigno wasn't bad. But they're held back by an uncreative and unfunny film with lack of direction and an emptiness left by Bob Hoge who essentially ran out of ideas in the film and clearly stuffed it with cheap filler but not enough Rodneg Dangerfield who could have kept the jokes alive, but instead The Godson is a film beyond dead. It's essentially the cure to insomnia because staying awake during it proved difficult both times I tried to watch it.
January 22, 2013
I love Kevin McDonald, but this film is TERRIBLE!!! Rent "Jane Austin's Mafia" instead. As terrible as that is it is better than this.
September 18, 2010
If you haven't seen this. It is hilarious. It's definitely one of the best spoof films I've ever seen. Worth looking into.
½ September 5, 2010
A cute parody on the Godfather. It has its moments, some jokes are good. Dangerfield and the kid from New Kids On The Block carry the film. But not to far.
August 6, 2010
Only I was going to put this on my list of worst movies of all time, but Rodney Dangerfield had some great one liners and Dom Deluise was pretty funny as a Godfather rip off. This is a terrible slapstick comedy making fun of the Godfather. The rest of the cast was terrible and not funny at all. Kevin McDonald was the main star and he was really annoying. Fabiana Udenio just couldn't even act in this film. Then you have Lou Ferrigno who thinks he really has an acting career. I wasn't really expecting much when watching this film. But I didn't think it would be this bad. The story was just stupid and the references to other mob type films were really stupid. In fact I felt a bit smarter once the movie was over because it was done and out of my life. Did that sound harsh? Ok, then watch the film and let me know what you think. Dangerfield and DeLuise must of been hurting on money because great comedic geniuses like that would of never done this movie. Oh well, I watched it and it is over now.
½ August 6, 2010
August 12, 2009
...my ma add lang sa movies.....
March 12, 2009
i object to the use of the word "retarded" to describe individuals who are mentally handicapped or developmentally disabled. But I fully endorse using the word to describe this film. In short, it's comedy gold!
½ February 16, 2009
Uh, a moderately funny spoof on mafia movies. Unfortunately it is a waste of talent. Dom DeLuise and Rodney Dangerfield in an unfunny movie? Yep.
½ June 25, 2008
it's an alright film...it tries to work in the style of airplane or naked gun, and works in some parts...but fails in others. it's worth a watch if you like that style of comedy, but don't expect the same type of quality.
½ March 24, 2008
An amusing parody.. I wish I could go to Mafia University XD
November 4, 2007
either 1 or 5. the worst movie ever, but the anxiety-rating is 5! see it or don't.
October 14, 2007
½ September 16, 2007
kevin mcdonald: the kid in the hall you hate to hate, but do anyway.
August 27, 2007
Oh dear god, this is as if big pieces of shit were placed into DVD boxes for selling.
½ August 20, 2007
If I could give it a zero I would have, I have had more fun hitting myself in the scrotum.