La Tregua (The Truce) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Tregua (The Truce) Reviews

May 12, 2013
world war ll is over. the concentration camps are liberated. now what. a group of Italian, Greek and a few Poland's. decide to find their way home and they do find some interesting Russians along the way. very well written film.
December 27, 2010
an interest film , little slow some times . the road back home throw half Europe of a group of Italian-Jew
½ October 17, 2008
I never would have believed anybody could film Primo Levi's "The Reawakening" so well. Profoundly moving. You should see this.
July 30, 2008
Good movie that will gives you the feeling to be into
June 13, 2008
While The Truce tells a story that is occasionally compelling and disturbing, the film feels like it has been sanitized.
April 8, 2008
For a Holocaust film, it was pretty average. I've seen better. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing the book is more engaging, since that would all be directly from Primo Levi who experienced this, rather than an actor and a director trying to convey emotions in situations they hadn't lived. It wasn't bad, but I've seen movies on the subject that better portreyed people and themes, like Escape from Sobibor.
February 7, 2008
Truly a wonderful movie. Based on the experiences of Primo Levi [The Periodic Table], the Italian chemist and survivor of Auschwitz. John Turturro's compelling performance makes this a cinematic treat.
January 9, 2008
Oh, what a movie. John Turturro give his best performance in recent times. Best scene - at the Munich station he shows them his prison garb, revealing the fact that he was a Holocaust survivor. The soldier kneels down in front of him in silence
October 8, 2007
Inspiring in every way. I didn't miss a single Torturro movie afterwards.
October 1, 2007
Great performance by Turturro as he flees his nightmarish inprisonment at a Concentration Camp after the War has ended. A superb insight into the mindset of a holocaust survivor.
½ July 27, 2007
great story....brill...performance...
June 29, 2007
I disagree with the first comment. I have seen a lot of movies on the Holocaust, however, at least in my opinion, this movie was not about the Holocaust, but about re-adjusting to life afterwards. After living through such a horrid experience, one forgets how to love and how beautiful life can be. That's what this movie is about, Primo Levi's journey back to being human.
June 22, 2007
While there are humorous moments to this Holocaust survivor movie, the theme is familiar - how to deal with the barbaric realities of living through the Holocaust. One scene in particular was as powerful as it was unexpected. When Primo (the freed prisoner) meets some German workers who are now under the control of the Allied troops, he shows them his prison garb, revealing the fact that he was a Holocaust survivor. The German slowly kneels down in front of Primo with his head bowed in silent acknowledgement of the injustice. If you let it, this movie will cause you to ask yourself how you respond to injustice.
½ June 16, 2007
Despite doing something new and depicting the Holocaust from a light comedy side, Rosi recurs to many cliches of the genre and does not really say anything that hasn't been said a million times before.
½ June 13, 2007
Come on, it wasn't that powerful
June 12, 2007
best holocaust movie yet.
June 5, 2007
This is one of the most important films of our time
Harlequin68
½ June 7, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=blue]"Or(My Treasure)" is a movie from Israel about teenaged Or(Dana Ivgy) and her mother Ruthie(Ronit Elkabetz). At the beginning of the movie, Or is picking up her mother at a hospital where she has been treated for depression. Due to Ruthie's problems, of which there are many, Or has taken on the duties of breadwinner for the household - collecting empty bottles for refunds in the morning; working in a neighborhood restaurant in the evening. As you can imagine, this leaves little time for school and Ruthie is not really aware what affect her behavior is having on her daughter. Or is at an age when she is starting to take control of her life and is beginning to become familiar with the opposite sex.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff]"Or(My Treasure)" is a worthy examination of life on the economic edge with excellent performances. But there are questions that are not answered - like how long has Ruthie been like this? Plus, there is a decision late in the movie that I just don't believe. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][color=darkslategray]"The Two of Us" starts out in Nazi-occupied France in 1943, just as young Claude attempts to shoplift a toy tank or two.(He would have been better off stealing a real one...) Claude is Jewish and his father dearly wants his son to keep himself out of trouble so as not to attract undue attention. Since there is also bombing going on, the parents decide to send Claude to the country to spend time with a friend's father for safekeeping. The catch is that the old man is a virulent anti-semite and Claude cannot give away that he is Jewish.[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][color=#2f4f4f]"The Two of Us" is a funny touching coming-of-age movie about a very serious subject. As an added plus, there is a degree of complexity surrounding the old man - he is an unapologetic bigot but he also has a heart of gold but it turns out that Claude is actually much wiser than his aged host.[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][color=black]"The Truce" is based on Primo Levi's autobiographical telling of his journey back from Auschwitz after it has been liberated by the Soviet army to his native Italy. Along the way, he encounters various characters who are either returning to their homelands or trying to return to their old lives. [/color][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][color=#000000]On the plus side, "The Truce" is about a part of history that is rarely focused on - the repatriation of refugees after World War II. It is also quite nice looking. However, the movie is hardly subtle. Yes, we realize the significance of Auschwitz being liberated, so we don't need the orchestral flourishes to emphasize this.(And yes I thought the four horsemen was laying it on a bit much.) Also, John Turturro really seems like a supporting player when the movie should be about his character and he is often upstaged by Rada Serbedzija playing a rakish Greek citizen, also heading home. [/color] [/color][/font]