Madeline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madeline Reviews

October 24, 2013
I can't hate it because I was so incredibly in love with the stories represented inside it as a child.
June 8, 2013
Madeline, a resourceful and adventurous girl living in a school along with friends run by a Miss Clavel, comes up with a plan to get the money needed to prevent the school from shutting down. However, she gets kidnapped along the way, and it is up to Miss Clavel to come to the rescue. For suckers of films featuring cute little children ala Little Rascals, this is as good as it gets in modern cinema.
March 30, 2013
Taken from the classic books by Ludwig Bemelmans, Madeline is the darling story of 12 little girls who live in a boarding school. The woman in charge of the home is a nun, Miss Clavel (Frances McDormand). Red-headed Madeline is the smallest of the girls but is, nevertheless, fearless and curious. The film follows Madeline's escapades as she has her appendix out, clashes with Pepito (the boy next door), falls in the river and more. There is a subplot concerning the approaching sale of the school and what it will mean to the girls who live there. Is it possible to have a happy ending?

This extremely watchable movie for children is a wonderful addition to the repertoire of good children's films. Hatty Jones is a delight as Madeline and the other little girls are fun and expressive. The leap from book to movie is smooth and successful; the film includes many of the books' key elements and will thus be appreciated by Bemelmans' fans. There is more than enough action and humor to keep children interested from start to finish. Adults will be charmed by the film as well. Recommended for families who are looking for quality alternatives to Disney, Beethoven the dog, Charlotte's Web, etc.
March 20, 2013
Enjoyable and glorious at the the same time...
March 4, 2013
MADELINEBRYEKYLEEMASON
February 9, 2013
I enjoyed this film when I was little and my son enjoyed it just as much low it
January 22, 2013
How can you ruin Madeline!? Frances McDormand was a PERFECT casting choice though.
½ December 30, 2012
My childhood favourite.
December 11, 2012
it was an ok film but I don't think I'll watch it again, it was an ok movie but I don't want it on DVD, it starred Frances McDormand, Nigel Hawthorne, Hatte Jones and Ben Daniels, it was ok but I don't want to see it again
½ December 7, 2012
The schoolgirl adventures of Madeline, a flame-haired orphan, are lovingly adapted from Ludwig Bemelmans's classic children's books. His sly and witty writing is transferred to this first-rate film.
September 12, 2012
rather boring and, on the whole, uninventive, pretty much sums up what happened in the major episodes of the television show. the nun, miss clavel, is a delight, which doesn't extend much further out to the rest of the predictable movie, but it could be said it was worth it to watch frances mcdormand. i still was left mildly unimpressed.
August 30, 2012
Even as a kid I felt ripped off when I watched this movie. The books are way better.
½ August 25, 2012
sweet, innocent and very entertaining. good for kids.
August 24, 2012
If Frances Mdormand wasn't Miss Clevel I would have never visited a child favorite or finished watching the movie.

I adore the original cartoon as well as Ludwigs Bemelman classic book series while growing up, that it took me 12 years after the fact to even consider watching the movie adaptation (keeping a high expectation in mind). The outcome is average- mediocre performances. Hattie Jones who played Madeline was a hit and miss... and to be honest not entirely convincing in her role. Pepito (my favorite character) was misrepresented as the troubling neighbor boy who was always up to tricks. From what I remember Madeline and Pepito were best friend not frenemies, and the ending conclusion where he "rescues" Madeline from clowns... the sillyness almost seems unbareable.
½ July 25, 2012
Heart warming and fun
July 1, 2012
I'm sure this would be a good movie, if my sister didn't watch the hell out of it every day of my childhood
½ June 28, 2012
phenonemal! madeline will always be an all-time favorite
April 22, 2012
the cartoon was better
April 21, 2012
I've watched this film my entire life, and I still love it.
April 7, 2012
It is a funny film and the best part is my name is madeline lol