Madeline Reviews

• Jul 05, 2020

Unwatchable and deeply boring for all but the youngest viewer.

Unwatchable and deeply boring for all but the youngest viewer.

• Apr 27, 2020

Madeline is a pleasant little film based on the children’s books written by Ludwig Bemelmans. The story is about a school for young girls that is at risk of being shut down. This is particularly frightening for little Madeline who doesn’t have any parents to take care of her if the school is closed. We see the girls get into a number of silly situations along the way, mostly prompted by the actions of Madeline. I wouldn’t necessarily describe her as a trouble-maker, but she is a bit precocious at times. Hatty Jones was simply adorable in the role, and I never found her obnoxious or annoying. I liked how this film shows the relationships between the young kids, because it all felt authentic based on the way children that age will treat one another. Casting Frances McDormand for the role of the nun/teacher Miss Clavel was a great choice, because she nails that mix of stern and compassionate. The film is quite juvenile and silly, so it’s not exactly made for me, but I think those qualities are perfect for the target audience. It does a wonderful job of finding the right tone for a kids’ movie without being aggressively juvenile or condescending, and I will probably end up recommending it to some of my friends with young ones.

• Dec 16, 2018

I always loved this movie since I was a little girl!

I always loved this movie since I was a little girl!

• Jan 21, 2017

A good family film. I seen a lot as a child and rewatched recently and enjoyed this!

• Oct 08, 2016

Definitely a kid film. Easy plot to follow, with nice enough everyone and most of the bad guys. Not sure about the nun thing but the plot used her powers of communication to get the bandits. The whole is rather light and sometimes comedic, with a nice heart. And some nicely placed french points. I wasn't bored and I didn't even roll my eyes at the simplicity. I rather found it cute and lovely and was never sure of the ending exactly.

• Oct 08, 2016

• Aug 21, 2016

An interesting attempt at the classic children's book series. The actress playing Madeline adds the right amount of spunk. Miss Clavel is wonderfully portrayed as well.

• Aug 07, 2016

A great adaptation of the children's series. The actors do a fine job, the story is good, and it's an entertaining movie.

• Mar 31, 2016

Though light years away from being in the same league as family classics "The Secret Garden" (1993) or "Fly Away Home" (1996), "Madeline" is a pretty solid, enjoyable effort. I'm confused, however, as to why everyone in the Old House, save the cook, is British instead of French-did the casting director not read the books? Play the games? See the animated specials?

• Jul 27, 2015

Mainly for children, this is a gentile enough story of an orphan with the various mischievous antics you expect from a group of children on a mission.