The Avengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Avengers Reviews

October 20, 2016
I wanted to see this film when it first came to video, but looking back, I praise God that I dodged a bullet!
½ May 26, 2016
Failed attempt at remaking the 1960s TV show.
March 28, 2016
Butchered by studio interference, this maimed version of Chechik take on the 60s classic is oddly fascinating, if bungled. A game cast and good production values are let down by unbalanced tone, a choppy plot and a series of lame, trimmed gags.
March 24, 2016
Saw this a long time ago and it was forgettable.
January 28, 2016
A movie has to be pretty bad for me to give it one star. I'm not one of those people who either loves or hates everything, and everything is either five or one stars. (I hate those people though). Most movies are 2,3, or 4 stars, unless they really and truly stand out. This movie deserves its one star.
January 16, 2016
This was just ridiculous. I had to stop watching
½ January 14, 2016
This was an interesting kind of bad
½ January 11, 2016
Total misfire. The TV series it's based on is still well regarded. This mess is done in by a terrible script, awful pacing, and poor casting decisions. Warner Bros. released this did the year after "Batman & Robin." Yuck.
November 10, 2015
Missed the point of the original TV series. Ralph Fiennes is actually pretty good in this. The great Sean Connery's talent is pretty much wasted. Remade somewhat as Kingsman: The Secret Service.
½ October 26, 2015
Yuck. Not even Sean Connery adds anything.
½ August 31, 2015
What a bloody waste of film, cast and above all characters of Peel and Steed.
August 1, 2015
Uma Thurman looks great. Nothing else much to write about. Another of those movies which thinks that joining random scientific terms in random order makes a sci fi movie.
Skip it.
½ May 25, 2015
This film has bland character, bland dialogue and is trying to be artsy. It fails as a movie and an adaptation. However, since the film tries to be artsy, we are displayed with some interesting visuals, but it does not make up for the rest of the film's faults.
May 16, 2015
Wonderfully Awful! Bad for theatrical exhibition but decent fun as a television flick. Cool set designs, cool actors in cool clothes and a good soundtrack along with some colorful cinematography . If this movie had a good and solid story with some captivating action it would have been awesome. There were some good and entertaining ideas here that were just executed poorly. Still, it's one of my fave "bad movies".
April 2, 2015
Wow ... this is not a good movie. I haven't completely decided whether the fault lies with Warner Brothers for cutting 1/4 of its running time or whether there was never much hope of it being any good. I lean towards the latter. While I have no doubt that it's incoherent plot is the fault of the studio, it has other issues that seem more fundamental. The cast is great on paper, but that doesn't seem to translate to the screen. Fiennes is okay, if not very engaging, but Thurman is pretty terrible. Connery seems totally adrift. The action is busy, loud and uninteresting.
February 7, 2015
covoluted, snotty. not even Sean Connery is likable. Boring; as good as a sleeping pill. Ralph Fiennes is OK as John Steed.
January 16, 2015
That Sean Connery fever dream you had after eating indian food. Swallow some tums and try to forget it.
January 11, 2015
Als ich den Film schauen zuerst schauen wollte, habe ich sehr viele schlechte Kritiken davon erfahren. Ich dachte, wenn so gute Darsteller dabei sind, wird es wohl nicht so Übel sein. Ja. Denkste: Der Film ist ja wirklich lächerlich! Das sich die Schauspieler auf so ein Spiel eingelassen hatten, ist mir selber ein Rätsel! Zu einem ist die Geschichte nicht gar so schlecht! (Auch wenn es ein billiger James Bond Story sein könnte.) Aber dies ist so mies umgesetzt worden, dass sogar selbst die Hauptdarsteller bei der Premiere nicht erschienen. Sicher spielen Fiennes und Thurman souverän, aber Sean Connery in einen Teddybär zu verkleiden, ist sogar für ihn unter dem Niveau! Der Film schaut man nur wegen den Schauspielern!
Fazit: Besser ein gutes Drehbuch schreiben, wenn man schon gute Darsteller hat und dazu etwas Ernsthaftes daraus machen!