Devil in the Flesh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil in the Flesh Reviews

August 20, 2015
A fairly decent psychological thriller that sometimes felt like it rather wanted to be an erotic thriller. I really enjoyed Rose McGowan's performance and she's truly the saving grace here as I likely would've hated this movie had she not starred in it. The story is predictable and has been done to death. This movie did have some cool kills and the 90's style was pretty awesome to see. I did find the directing style weird and amateuristic. I was hoping for more horror elements, but it was fun seeing Rose chew the scenery and she had some witty one-liners. It's one of those 'leave your brains at the door' movies and just hope you'll be entertained by what you see. At some point I couldn't take it seriously anymore to be honest. It's just above average, but that's mostly due to Rose's likeability in this movie. The rest is pretty standard stuff for a Direct to Video thriller. There's also a sequel starring Jodi Lyn O'Keefe (Halloween H2O), but I'm not sure if I should bother watching that.
½ March 8, 2014
It's hard to enjoy a movie if the main character was made to be extremely hated. It's not a good sign when you're already rooting for her death within the first act. It's disgusting, stupid, and a complete waste of time.
½ April 12, 2013
The only reason to see it is Rose McGowan. There is nothing else redeemable.
½ April 8, 2013
I saw it...I loved it! However...I CAN NOT for the life of me find the soundtrack !!! UGH!!! I have looked everywhere!!!!
March 30, 2013
Devil in the Flesh (Steven Cohen, 1998)

The whole "erotic thriller" thing is a movie that manages about one pearl for every thousand swine. Not that it stops studios from pumping them out like M&Ms. The late nineties were an especially fertile breeding ground for the erotic thriller, and pretty much all of them were awful. Case in point: Devil in the Flesh, which has as its only selling point these days a nubile Rose McGowan looking quite delectable. Too bad the rest of the movie doesn't measure up.

Plot: after some nastiness at her old school, Debbie Strand (McGowan, recently of the Conan the Barbarian remake) is sent by the state's foster care system to live with her grandmother (Imitation of Life's Peg Shirley). No sweat, she thinks, until she finds out the grandmother is a crazy religious nut who expects Debbie to be her personal slave girl. Worse, she's also got a couple of detectives (Wag the Dog's Phil Morris and Gigli's Robert Silver) nosing around trying to figure out what happened at her former school. All that fades into the background, though, when she sets eyes on hunky Peter Rinaldi (Conspiracy Theory's Alex McArthur), an English teacher at her new school. Debbie sets her sights on Peter, and god help anyone who gets in her way...

To put it simply: this is ridiculous. The script tries to marry horror story with teen sex comedy and does neither with any competence. The acting is baseline, but barely that; given the talent assembled for this movie, I have to give director Steve Cohen grudging respect for being enough of a director to get this entire cast to act this badly. And the erotic aspects of the script are... well, nonexistent would be the best way to describe them.

Unless you're a huge fan of someone who was involved in this production (I watched it solely because of Wendy Robie, who was in it for far too little time), you should not only pass it up, but flee screaming in terror. *
½ December 1, 2012
Feels like a unedited TV movie.
September 17, 2012
Many cheesy parts (i.e. officer yelling "it hurts bad" or something along those lines after he was shot). Iffy acting, but Rose McGowan really owned this part.
½ June 27, 2012
sure, it's nothing "original" or new, but i loved it all the same and i could stare at rose mcgowan forever. some great subtle humour in this.
May 11, 2012
Rose is deliciously evil in this campy guilty pleasure of mine.
April 28, 2012
THIS is why i love Rose McGowen!!! Bad-ass hottie with no acting skills
February 6, 2012
Devil in The Flesh is nowhere near original but Rose McGowan plays a good part to make it the least bit enjoyable!
½ December 20, 2011
McGowan looks like she is having fun, but this film is lacks any real heat.
Wizenhymer
½ October 29, 2011
Summary:
A cheesy thriller similar to the Poison Ivy series. About a beautiful girl who is somewhat insane.

The Good:
The plot is meh but somewhat interesting. It's pretty funny too, like the main character's christian grandma. Overall it's really just worth the watch for the beautiful Rose McGowan.

The Bad:
The story isn't very believable, acting is meh, story is meh.

Ratings:
Acting: 7/10
Story: 5/10
Originalality: 4/10
Soundtrack: 6/10
Characters: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

Sexiness:
(The following is my Review for the fappers 18+):
There's no nudity in this but the wonderful Rose McGowan wears very skimpy clothing throughout the film and has some very arousing scenes. There's never a moment when she's not looking great.

Fap Rating: 8/10
August 14, 2011
I don't exactly know how to react to this film. It has a dark satirical feel, but I don't think that's what they intended to make.
August 3, 2011
As far as plot, this film really doesn't have one. The idea of the plot is that Debbie Strand (Rose McGowan) falls for her creative writing teacher and will do anything to get him. This horror film would've been largely forgotten in my mind had Rose McGowan not been in it. She really holds the film together with a fun, campy performance. Alex McArthur, who plays the teacher, also gives a performance that could be considered good. Another gem of the film is Peg Shirley, who gives a very funny performance as the uber-Christian grandmother. The acting is good in this one and is really the only thing that makes it watchable. The story line and the deaths are not particularly ground-breaking and you can guess what will happen within the first ten minutes of the movie. If you are a fan of Rose McGowan, however, this is a must watch. Other than that, you can pretty much forget about this one unless you are in the mood for a campy horror movie...
July 20, 2011
I took my time getting around to watching this movie, but I wasn't really missing anything.

However, I think it was worth the wait to see Rose McGowan in her prime. ;)

[4/10]
June 19, 2011
Rose McGowan plays this part wonderfully. Though this concept is in no way original, it works just well enough to be enjoyable.
½ June 2, 2011
I think she was playing her strange self, something about her , makes everything evil believable
February 16, 2011
What's with the spelling bee contest?? McGowan pull off the crazy chick thing pretty well.
½ October 4, 2010
I believe her grandmother had it coming. I find it amazing that she even killed her only friend just so she could get to Marilyn.