Soldier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soldier Reviews

October 18, 2017
An awesome movie! Though people that have never served in the combat arms of a military will have a very tough time relating to the movie.
October 8, 2017
This was entertaining and I've watched it a few times but there's no real story behind it. I do like to see the little guy win though.

A specially trained soldier since birth is replaced by newer soldiers. Thought dad he's throwing the trash and a banded up on a dumping planet where survivors exist.
September 16, 2017
I liked it a lot and I don't give a damn for the bloody critics here in.. rotten tomatoes or in IMDB !
August 30, 2017
Kurt Russel excels in this action flick where an out of date experienced soldier that is trained from birth on military tactics, all of a sudden becomes obsolete when a faster stronger generation of soldiers. Todd(Kurt Russel) shows tremendous resilience and determination to survive. Entertaining to watch as Todd is discarded and reencounters the same soldiers who replaced him as they threaten the colony of refugees that took him in.
½ August 14, 2017
As enjoyable as a fart in a hot car with the window locks on
February 12, 2017
A somewhat digestible, albeit formulaic as hell, action outing that does nothing to enhance the genre... so hopefully you like Kurt Russell and explosions.
September 30, 2016
An sci fi action fun movie.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Just a good solid 90's action flick, Kurt Russell plays a robot like soldier kicking ass and taking names, As he gets replaced by super soldiers and thrown out like trash, The first hour was pretty slow with hardly any dialogue from Russell, But the last 25 minutes was solid action and pretty good too, The effects look dated but it doesn't ruin the film too much it's just a nice way to kill an hour and 30 minutes.
July 1, 2016
This may be one of the most underrated movies of all time. It is a 1998 movie, so there is a bit of the cheesiness that you might expect, but it is delightfully well done. Kurt Russell, it turns out, can say a lot more when he says less. There is a kind of "Quest for Fire" value to his acting in this movie. His lack of emotion in this movie actually expresses more deep emotion than the typical over-acting that most movies contain. If you are reading this then this is the kind of movie that you will enjoy. I would pick this over the newly released Warcraft all day long.
May 21, 2016
SGT Todd is a character with which I can relate: highly trained for war, he struggles to relate to peaceful civilians. Russell captures the confusion I felt after retirement from US Army Special Forces as he relates to civilians and becomes more human himself as he experiences love, gentleness, friendship and family for the first time. While his integration into society was far more traumatic than my own, I could relate on a personal level to his situation. I've spoken with a number of Special Forces Veterans and many of them felt the same as I as they watched this movie.
March 22, 2016
Although it had a bbudget of over $60 it looks and plays out like a text book B-movie. Kurt Russell is silent for the majority of the film and utters just a few words throughout. Busey is the balls and the ending is really top notch.
December 12, 2015
honestly, I really can't remember it
October 23, 2015
Es una especie de Soldado Universal pero venida a menos
½ August 18, 2015
Most of the reviews on Tomatoes for this movie completely miss the point of the film. Looking back on it again, it strikes me even more what a mash of Fallout and Warhammer 40K it is. All good fun with a surprisingly strong cast, the movie never seems to try to take itself nearly as seriously as the critics take themselves.
½ August 18, 2015
Under-rated and never boring.
½ August 10, 2015
Absolutely terrible...
½ May 18, 2015
Not earth shattering non stop action but a moderate one time watch day filler.
May 16, 2015
This movie should have been a bigger hit. It's not your average futuristic sci-fi action movie. It has deeper messages than one might expect. The main idea is in the future, soldiers are bred and trained into ruthless killing machines... Then fast-forward further into the future and the older killing machine soldiers become considered obsolete. So, they are discarded like trash - like others who are discarded in the future. One old-school (still futuristic killing machine, but not as advanced and young as the new and synthetically and drug-enhanced ones) soldier, Kurt Russell, survives as he is dumped with trash on a planet allocated as a garbage-filled place. Although he was bred and trained to not bond with others, he finds himself connecting to a community of discarded people on this nasty planet. Even though he winds up rejected by these people who are afraid of him, he is still around when the new killing machine soldiers come to cruelly play war games against this community. The old school soldier is the only hope for these poor souls as the newer soldiers come... Watch it. Own it. It's worth having in your collection!
April 4, 2015
I really like this movie. It doesn't have a complex plot, it's just kill or be killed. Kurt Russell plays Sergeant Todd, who has been raised since birth to be a soldier. But when younger, stronger, and better soldiers come along he is replaced. He is thrown out with the trash, but later he gets revenge on all the new soldiers.