Soldier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soldier Reviews

September 30, 2016
An sci fi action fun movie.
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Just a good solid 90's action flick, Kurt Russell plays a robot like soldier kicking ass and taking names, As he gets replaced by super soldiers and thrown out like trash, The first hour was pretty slow with hardly any dialogue from Russell, But the last 25 minutes was solid action and pretty good too, The effects look dated but it doesn't ruin the film too much it's just a nice way to kill an hour and 30 minutes.
July 1, 2016
This may be one of the most underrated movies of all time. It is a 1998 movie, so there is a bit of the cheesiness that you might expect, but it is delightfully well done. Kurt Russell, it turns out, can say a lot more when he says less. There is a kind of "Quest for Fire" value to his acting in this movie. His lack of emotion in this movie actually expresses more deep emotion than the typical over-acting that most movies contain. If you are reading this then this is the kind of movie that you will enjoy. I would pick this over the newly released Warcraft all day long.
May 21, 2016
SGT Todd is a character with which I can relate: highly trained for war, he struggles to relate to peaceful civilians. Russell captures the confusion I felt after retirement from US Army Special Forces as he relates to civilians and becomes more human himself as he experiences love, gentleness, friendship and family for the first time. While his integration into society was far more traumatic than my own, I could relate on a personal level to his situation. I've spoken with a number of Special Forces Veterans and many of them felt the same as I as they watched this movie.
March 22, 2016
Although it had a bbudget of over $60 it looks and plays out like a text book B-movie. Kurt Russell is silent for the majority of the film and utters just a few words throughout. Busey is the balls and the ending is really top notch.
December 12, 2015
honestly, I really can't remember it
October 23, 2015
Es una especie de Soldado Universal pero venida a menos
½ August 18, 2015
Most of the reviews on Tomatoes for this movie completely miss the point of the film. Looking back on it again, it strikes me even more what a mash of Fallout and Warhammer 40K it is. All good fun with a surprisingly strong cast, the movie never seems to try to take itself nearly as seriously as the critics take themselves.
½ August 18, 2015
Under-rated and never boring.
½ August 10, 2015
Absolutely terrible...
½ May 18, 2015
Not earth shattering non stop action but a moderate one time watch day filler.
May 16, 2015
This movie should have been a bigger hit. It's not your average futuristic sci-fi action movie. It has deeper messages than one might expect. The main idea is in the future, soldiers are bred and trained into ruthless killing machines... Then fast-forward further into the future and the older killing machine soldiers become considered obsolete. So, they are discarded like trash - like others who are discarded in the future. One old-school (still futuristic killing machine, but not as advanced and young as the new and synthetically and drug-enhanced ones) soldier, Kurt Russell, survives as he is dumped with trash on a planet allocated as a garbage-filled place. Although he was bred and trained to not bond with others, he finds himself connecting to a community of discarded people on this nasty planet. Even though he winds up rejected by these people who are afraid of him, he is still around when the new killing machine soldiers come to cruelly play war games against this community. The old school soldier is the only hope for these poor souls as the newer soldiers come... Watch it. Own it. It's worth having in your collection!
April 4, 2015
I really like this movie. It doesn't have a complex plot, it's just kill or be killed. Kurt Russell plays Sergeant Todd, who has been raised since birth to be a soldier. But when younger, stronger, and better soldiers come along he is replaced. He is thrown out with the trash, but later he gets revenge on all the new soldiers.
January 25, 2015
Still better than most sci fi / action movies
January 4, 2015
this is one of the best movies ever created. I have never seen something like this. When I first saw this, this was the best Movie Ever . as good as star wars and very meaningful about the human condition.

who are we as people. what does it mean to be human, to have emotions . Do we breed soldiers as killing machines ? what this guy went through...... he seems like my dad, and I thnik many people can relate, especially people in the military or who have a family member in military or someone who went through world war two., absolutely must watch this . It's also unbelievable cinematography and the power, of him the absolute force and drive, of kurt russel, pounding the training thing., defying the sandstorm, saving the guy in the sandstorm . this movie is great for women to watch to see the sheer strength and drive of this man, fighting against anything. he is trained he is alive, for one purpose . TO BE A SOLDIER.
½ December 18, 2014
Oh Paul W.S. Anderson, you always bring me such disappointment and you always give me a deep rage inside of me in your films that feel unfinished in a strange way. Now he makes a film with Kurt Russell and Gary Busey and still mangers to f'ck it up but still directing today. Why I may ask?.

The story is about are main character Todd who is an engineered military fighting machine, but after being left for dead on a remote planet he starts a new life. He must fight his very replacements to save his newly found friends.

In every Paul W.S. Anderson movie that he direct's it always looks like it has a good buget to it like: The Resident Evil film series, Mortal Kombat, Death Race and now this film, and just like some of his other films it always has the same results; a wasted opportunity of being good. I know Paul W.S. Anderson can be a good director, I found Alien Vs Predator to be my biggest guilty pleasure of all time and Mortal Kombat wasn't all that bad, so I know he can be good, but Soldier isn't one of them.

The best way to possibly describe this nonsense of a film is be saying something like this: Imagine you got all you're army action figures and you're small plastic gun figures together and simply set them on fire and throw them down the stairs and watch them go all over the place making has much noise as possible, then close your eyes and think to yourself "God that was annoying and stupid", yeah that's this movie, that's this freaking movie!.

Let's start off with the good: Kurt Russell dose the best of what his got and that's saying a lot because of the blandness of his character. The action scenes are pretty well done if I must say and Gary Busey once again brings such a goofy performance but his so enjoyable to watch with the little screen time he got.

Now for the bad and these a lot: The movie is just bombarding with dull scenes and cardboard character's that the end of the day is a waste of time watching.

Todd the main character of the film barely speaks a word through the film, yes he dose say a couple of lines but for most part his dead silent. Main character's barely not saying anything can be a big risk in movies but some films pulled it off really well like the movie Drive and it was all down to good writing, but this doesn't have good writing and the silent hero thing completely did not work at all and made the character less interesting to watch.

The writing was piss poor, the other character's I didn't really care about at all and I doubt that Kurt Russell has ever had less dialogue to work anywhere.

Overall this movie sucks and to the people who are defending this movie I got this to say to them, "Don't even try it".
½ November 21, 2014
it's a relationship drama disguised as a action movie. if you go into this movie with that in mind you'll like the movie better. Jason Scott Lee and Kurt Russel are waisted in this movie.
September 22, 2014
Could have further developed Todd's character.
½ September 21, 2014
Not for the general public. I liked it.