Rear Window - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rear Window Reviews

November 30, 2008
While no where near as good as the original I still like the concept and the execution was well done. All involved did a great job and really tried to stay true to the mood of the Hitchcock classic.
½ August 5, 2007
Ok, I made a small error here, in that I requested this film expecting Hitchcock's original and hadn't realised a remake had been made.

You can see the Hitchcock marks all over this film and makes for a great murder mystery, although I guess the elephant in the room here is that Christopher Reeve was able to play this role, having been paralyzed during his well publicised accident. Being a little Neurologically challlenged myself, I though this showed great character in Reeve, but I'm sure the critics will have made comments to the contrary.

A film that made pretty good viewing in a 'slightly better than diagnosis murder' type of way.
½ June 13, 2007
An ok thriller, brings it up to date with all the modern gadgets. However it has a very simple story and it's quite obvious as to what will happen.
½ July 25, 2009
It is an OK thriller (should not even be attempted comparison with the Hitchcock one) notable mostly for Reeve's performance.
½ October 18, 2009
Bad acting, cheesy, weird. Not worth watching.
December 16, 2015
I ran into this on Netflix, a movie starring Daryl Hannah and Christopher Reeve after his paralyzing accident. In it, Reeve's optimism, drive, and work ethic shine through. I think he enjoyed making this. Hannah's character is a balanced counterpart to Reeve.

It's a suspenseful remake of an earlier film that I don't recall seeing. His condition no doubt led to numerous script changes, making it more his own.

Overall, the storyline works, although it's perhaps a bit slow at times. It picks up toward the end as Jason Kemp comes face to face in a harrowing confrontation with a killer that he's been stalking turning the tables to stalk him.

If you want to catch another glimpse of the now departed Reeve, formerly Superman back in the 70s and 80s, here you go.
January 22, 2013
While maybe not as good as the original, CHRISTOPHER REEVE gives a better performance than most actors today. A shining achievement!
June 20, 2008
I have the original. Now that I have watched this version properly with my new high speed connection, I can honestly say it does have some nice moments. But the ending does leave the viewer hanging with the question: Does Thorpe really kill his wife? What do you think?
½ March 11, 2010
One of the few times that a sequel manages to remake the original without being a half-assed carbon copy. Reeves uses his disability to his advantage in the remake of the classic Alfred Hitchcock film Rear Window. In this version the main character is paralyzed (obviously) and relies on his house and caretaker to keep him alive. When he witnesses a murder from his window he is determined to solve it.

Great performances and a well worked revision of an already told story.
½ December 10, 2009
1954's Rear Window is my favorite movie of all time. I have held off watching this remake for eight years. I just dreaded seeing the classic copied and ruined. It was not as bad as I was anticipating, but it captures none of the charm, humor or suspense of the original. Christopher Reeve is no Jimmy Stewart, and although Darryl Hannah is no Grace Kelly, I did like her performance, it was subtle and sincere. They left so much of the best stuff out of the original and focused instead just on the one neighbor. All the high tech gadgetry is a distraction. It just proves, no one can direct a film as well as the Master himself - Alfred Hitchcock. I would shudder to think of what he would say if he saw this remake.
November 21, 2009
Let's put it simple. It's not even close to touching the original (and it wasn't expected to) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.
June 7, 2009
Why do they keep making remakes of good movies they knoe its going to suck the acually good 2 reamkes were John Carpenter's The Thing and Zack Synder's Dawn of the Dead but then otherwise they should stop making Remakes of acually good movies because everyone knows its going to SUCK!!
August 24, 2008
I like this, very suspenseful.....and I always loved Christopher Reeves as Superman......and this just added to his impressive resume........
November 21, 2007
½ November 5, 2006
March 22, 2016
one if Christopher Reeves best movies
December 16, 2015

½ February 15, 2010
(First viewing - Teen years)
½ March 13, 2013
This was never going to be a patch on the original and it is weak overall but an interesting ending just about saves this TV version of Hitchcock's classic from being a complete disaster.
January 22, 2013