The Siege Reviews

• Oct 04, 2017

Made me miss the 90's for the first 45 minutes, not so much after that.

Made me miss the 90's for the first 45 minutes, not so much after that.

• May 18, 2017

Big name stars don't always lead to blockbuster movies. Here we have Denzel Washington, Annette Bening, and Bruce Willis playing the good guys in the form of an FBI agent, a CIA agent and an Army officer. They all have the same goal: stop Middle Eastern terrorists from tearing apart New York city. They each have their own methods, which are at odds with each other. You'd think lots of action and drama ensue, and they do but in a fashion that doesn't seem likely and is not all that thrilling. Tony Shalhoub outshines them all in his role as an American citizen who is from the Middle East but is an FBI agent first and foremost. Bland performances by the major players. Average movie.

• Mar 08, 2017

The type of terrorism and Arab prejudice in this movie was far fetched in 1998. 20 years later it's all too dark and realistic. Denzel and Annette were strong in this film.

• Nov 21, 2016

this film deals with very real stuff that is going on in the world at this moment the film just does not give it the depth that this subject really needs

• Sep 10, 2016

Surprisingly relevant to this day, however something was wrong with the script which made me not care so much about the movie over all. Star cast, but a missed opportunity really.

• Aug 17, 2016

I'm half tempted to say "Just watch a documentary on 9/11." Or 24. As a 'hypothetical' for what would become 9/11, The Siege got a lot of things right. Interagency squabbling hindering investigations, the CIA double dealing, and the main villain bears eerie similarity to a 9/11 hijacker the CIA was trying to flip. Of course there is a lot that it got wrong. The FBI rounded the muslims up after 9/11, not the military. Nobody wanted martial law after 9/11, and hate crimes were minimal. In many cases the lefties formed human chains around mosques. The movie also never entertains any idea the terrorists hadn't already done up to that point. My response to the end of this film in 2016 is an outburst of incredulous laughter. Willis's character is the classic case of a villain that makes no sense. He goes from ACLU champion to despot in 20 minutes. The leftist scriptwriters must have tripped over their own tongues at the idea of using the US military as a bunch of bootstompers and it became clear that the terrorist only existed in this movie to facilitate this situation. It's literally two movies stichted together. On the flipside, Washington's character is the classic example of a hero that chooses ideology in the face of reality: an ignoramous. He is unwilling to do half of what Jack Bauer would do to protect his country. Benning's character should clearly be the 'government villain' but is instead painted as a misguided hero.. and I'm calling bullshit. The only character I found 100% believable was Tony Shouloub's.

• May 08, 2016

Exciting action film given an eerie vibe by it's almost precognitive portrayal of NYC post-9/11.

• Mar 09, 2016

Disapppinting. I expected more from this given the cast.

Disapppinting. I expected more from this given the cast.

• Mar 08, 2016

Ya ya ya. Got it! Arab are terrorists.

Ya ya ya. Got it! Arab are terrorists.

• Nov 15, 2015

Was paranoid as hell after I saw this film... every fear about government & the military was put on full display.