The Impostors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Impostors Reviews

October 24, 2016
Great cast, bad idea.
June 1, 2016
Tons of great character actors chewing scenery and taking full advantage of the strange half stage-play, half movie atmosphere.
January 12, 2016
Campbell Scott is hilarious in the supporting role and ends up stealing every scene he is in.
½ January 1, 2016
Very cute with a great cast.
December 2, 2015
You are a wild beast and I must tame you.

Two struggling best friends cannot find the opportunity to launch their career in acting and determine that they need to get real jobs. In an attempt to extort money/food from a bakery, they obtain tickets to a show. The show leads to them being on a cruise liner trying to obtain affection of a young ladies on the boat.

"You would not know a good cream puff if it jumped up and licked you in the ass."

Stanley Tucci, director of Big Night, Joe Gould's Secret, Blind Date, and the upcoming Final Portrait, delivers The Impostors in his second major motion picture. The storyline for this picture was fun and had a Woody Allen dry comedy feel to it. The acting and comedic content was above average and the cast includes Stanley Tucci, Aliver Platt, Woody Allen, Alfred Molina, William Hill, Michael Emerson, and Matt Malloy.

"The male figure is something to be proud of."

I came across this while looking at Woody Allen pictures on Netflix and had to add it to my wish list. This was entertaining, well paced, and had some funny sequences, but wasn't perfect or as good as similar films in the genre. Overall, this is above average and only worth watching if nothing better is on.

"Don't flatter me, baby. I don't know what to do with it."

Grade: C+/B-
½ October 15, 2015
First of all this film was filmed in Silvercup Studios - 4222 22nd Street, Long Island City, Queens,New York. Admittedly, this is not an Oscar contender. Nor is it intended to be. But it is a night of silliness, an enjoyable movie full of enough plot twists and goofiness to entertain even the stoic movie buff. It is also somewhat of a 'Hey, there's...' movie, lots of faces you'll recognize but maybe not place right away. Looking for the cameos is half the fun! Not all of them are credited, so keep your eyes open! Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt are wonderful. And the fact that each of the characters is a sort of caricature of what they are meant to be just makes it that much funnier. I laugh every time I watch it! Sit back, make some popcorn, and just enjoy the entertainment. This is not one you're going to have to think hard about. :)
½ October 4, 2014
Uneven comedy. Quite funny at times. The plot parallels A Night at the Opera substantially - that's okay, it rarely comes across as derivative. Very good acting and fascinating characters make the show well worth seeing.
½ September 5, 2014
A few slow and aggressively unfunny moments distract from an otherwise fantastic movie.
½ March 30, 2014
How did I not know of this movie's existence? so much to love, so many times I lost it with laughter. lovable cast. I would have loved to see more movies of Arthur and Maurice ~ what a dear pair of friends. Only one more day on Netflix.
December 10, 2013
"Clue" on an ocean liner. Fast paced, and funny. Highly recommend.
½ November 5, 2013
This is a star studded tribute to the slapstick comedic farces of the 1930s, and a real labor of love for its writer/director/producer, and star Stanley Tucci. He, along with Oliver Platt, play a Laurel and Hardyesque pair of out of work actors struggling to scrape by in Depression-Era NYC, mostly by way of petty cons and swindles.

After incurring the wrath of an overrated drunken actor, the two mistakenly stow away aboard an ocean liner where the actor after them also happens to be. And not only do they get caught up with having to avoid him, but they find themselves continually caught up in a series of ever escalating over-the-top madcap shenanigans involving the eclectic passengers and crew of the ship, many of whom aren't what they initially seem, hence the film's title being The Impostors.

In many ways this feels like a high class Woody Allen film that Woody didn't write and direct. Interestingly enough, he actually makes a hilarious uncredited cameo here. This is a real love letter to the 30s slapstick comedies, as well as the silent era, as evidenced by the film's opening scene.

All in all I liked it. I'm not a huge fan of slapstick, but I found this to be overwhelmingly charming, funny, and absurd. There's really not much of a plot, but I think that's more of a benefit than a detriment. It's really hard to care too much about many of these people, but I don't think that's the point. I think the main focus is just on the absurd and ridiculous comedy of life, and how existence is full of all kinds of diverse and nutty people.

And the cast is where this film really shines. Besides Tucci and Platt, there's also Steve Buscemi, Billy Connolly, Campbell Scott, Allison Janney, Richard Jenkins, Alfred Molina, Elizabeth Bracco, Lili Taylor, Hope Davis, Dana Ivey, Tony Shaloub, Isabella Rossellini, and a few others I'm probably forgetting. They all seem to be having an absolute blast here, and exhibit some great chemistry, as well as a flair for the material.

The period details are pretty decent, there's a wonderfully nostalgic score, and the overall sense of energy and fun is just bursting all over the place.

It did take me a bit to get into things, and I was a bit taken back until I realized what type of movie this was going to be, but once I got into it, and things really kicked in, I ended up having a pretty good time, and think you might enjoy it as well.
½ October 28, 2013
Absolutely dreadful! I love Stanley Tucci but this was a dramatic fall from grace. Supremely unfunny, clumsy, trite - I stayed as long as I could stand it just to see if there actually was one laugh - but no. Mr Tucci must have made a lot of friends along the way to pull this rubbish off.
July 2, 2013
I quite enjoyed the madcap slapstick throwback comedy. The only drawback is there are so many members of the cast who weren't used as much as they could have been such as Steve Buscemi and Billy Connolly.
½ June 29, 2013
A fun time, mostly because the talented cast was having so much fun. But I think the dance in the closing credits was the best part!
½ June 15, 2013
Some hilarious moments, not sure if this film is for everyone but for people who love film, this is a great one.
January 22, 2013
This movie is AMAZING! So funny, especially once they get on the boat. The best comedy you've never seen!
November 13, 2012
Tucci & Platt make a great comic team, though I wish they had more to play with here.
½ February 18, 2012
Such a fun movie but it gets a little slow near the end!
½ June 25, 2011
Enjoyable slapstick comedy in the old style.
May 11, 2011
Breezy throwback film with a great who's who cast, everyone has fun. Capital "E" Entertainment --- I was humming Skokiaan for days.