The Mummy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mummy Reviews

August 11, 2017
This is a fun, adventurous movie that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time! I love it!
August 3, 2017
Kinda left me wondering why I didn't just watch Indiana Jones, but overall, not TOO shabby
½ August 1, 2017
A funny remake that will be forever remembered, especially for the sarcastic tone of the main characters.
July 29, 2017
An entertaining guilty pleasure. It has its flaws, but that doesn't mean it's unenjoyable.
½ July 26, 2017
Entertaining movie that can get cheesy at certain points.
July 24, 2017
A real romp of an adventure/horror genre with a wonderful aesthetic that works perfectly and he period setting is pure genius at creating an immersive world. Performances are terrific with Weisz and Fraser having a blast and a great dynamic. The CGI does look a little outdated and of course brings the overall film down but the humour and the overall tone is balanced brilliantly.
July 19, 2017
Ok universal studios monster mummy movie starring Brendan Fraser. First of all, why is this movie considered a classic, I do not think so and I already forgot about this movie entirely. I was pretty bored through this entire movie until the mummy came in, the mummy isn't shocking, nothing special about this movie.
jamrcla
July 16, 2017
Good film, Lots of fun and full of some good entertaining scenes, Some good effects for its time with some ok ish humour thrown in, Predictable story and ending but it's still entertaining.
½ July 16, 2017
Loved Brendan Fraser.
July 16, 2017
This is definitely more grand and light headed than the current Mummy film. It's enjoyable, even though it is a little too cheesy at times to be taken entirely too seriously.
½ July 15, 2017
The first to a good series of films. This is a great action come history family film - a solid cast and great storyline
July 4, 2017
In my opinion, this and its sequels (yes, even the third one) are extremely well done, even with a campy and familiar feel to the films.
½ June 30, 2017
Fun to watch and entertaining, "The Mummy" lacks a good script or storyline but it really manages to excite you as much as it is needed so that you want to carry on watching. Surely not the best adventure movie I've seen, but I don't regret watching it. It just knows what it stands for and it never took itself too seriously.
June 28, 2017
I love this movie so much! I don't care if it's a little campy. Brendan Fraser is magnificent and all the characters are so memorable and likeable. The acting is good, the effects still pass the test of time and it will always be one of my all time favorites. I don't know what Tom Cruise was thinking with that dumpster - fire reboot, but you don't need to screw with perfection!
June 21, 2017
Sure, it's an obvious Indiana Jones knockoff, but it's a GOOD Indiana Jones knockoff with a style of its own and a more horror-based kick. The film's got more of an epic quest feel to it than Indy, and does a good job merging genres. Brendan Fraser's really excellent as Rick O'Connell, who's tough and brave but also a bit silly. Rachel Weisz is equally impressive as Evelyn, who's serious and naive but super smart and competent. Merge the two together and you have something like Indy, but having the two elements of his soul at odds with each other makes for some good drama. And the comic relief brother Jonathan is really great. Unlike Indy, the villain is supernatural, and this allows for some truly one-sided escapades and scary scenes. And no Nazis in sight!

The archaeological scenes in this film are really played up well. When you think about it, Jones doesn't actually do much excavating, but here we spend half the movie hunting for treasure and then investigating it. Pacing is near perfect. At no stage does the film overstay its welcome and just when you're starting to tire of one plotline the film switches focus to another. Seriously: war movie to investigation of a mysterious artifact to race to excavation to mummy attack to apocalypse to counter-attack. Each leads logically to the next while being interesting on its own. The movie is fast paced and doesn't dither.

The CGI is probably the most dated part of the film. It hasn't always hung up well. But even as an obviously CGI creation, the Mummy's pretty scary. The design is cool and inhuman enough to work regardless of how plasticky it looks, and the fact that it's frequently portrayed in the shadows helps. It's not a monstrosity like the Scorpion King. The sand face still impresses after all these years. In general, while it's obviously fake, the film still looks good. And a good adventure can help you forget about questionable effects anyway.
June 21, 2017
The Mummy is as nostalgic and fun as it is terrifying.
½ June 21, 2017
Trying to cram action, adventure, fantasy, romance, comedy and horror into a single should not have worked, especially not in a Universal Monsters reboot, but 1999's The Mummy is so much damn fun, that they manage to pull it off with aplomb.
June 20, 2017
I have great distaste for the filmmaking style of Sommers but I really enjoy this film. The story isn't epic but each of the characters connect well and it just works on so many levels. Fraser is a great choice for the lead role and I can't remember a role he has suited like this one. This film shouldn't work, it's not a master work of cinema but it has a heart you cannot fault. Each actor seems to believe in the film and the energy level is extremely high, Sommers crafted a well loved remake of a classic horror film. The film is more comedy and action but The Mummy character is threatening and there are some genuinely freaky moments. This film came out at a time when world building wasn't a huge thing and it started to develop a series that floundered due to talent disinterest. It's a shame this series peaked with this first and best film of the series but if this was to be a one off film, the creators would've been proud. 20-06-2017.
June 19, 2017
Lots of two-dimensional throwaway characters in this movie for the main cast to play off of and of course there's quite a bit of what today's audience would probably consider sexist mentality and how the female protagonist is treated but if you can get past that it's a fun popcorn flick with lots of adventure and a few genuinely funny moments.
June 17, 2017
I love this movie soooo much