The King and I - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King and I Reviews

November 27, 2012
Yul Brenner is; The King, in this movie ! Music is classic. I can always watch it again and again!
November 5, 2012
Richard Rich could not have undermined the original Rogers and Hammerstein play any more than he did here. The singing feels very forced compared to the original film, and the animation has such a poor FPS rate combined with really bright colors, that it gives me a migraine. While I do have sympathy towards Rich as an animator, he really screwed up here. I mean it's sad that one of the men who directed a classic like The Fox and the Hound did this.
September 2, 2012
One of my favorites!
September 2, 2012
Completely butchered the 1956 classic. I watched it when I was very young, and looking back it now, the songs are butchered, the animation has its good moments, but mainly, so-so, and the plot has been completely trashed with adding sorcery, animal sidekicks and a comic relief character "Master Little". Do not go near this film.
½ August 31, 2012
It's good for kids who are bored to death by the real musical but if you ask me the musical's SO much better.
½ August 18, 2012
this was a childhood favorite of mine. Master Little was pretty much my favorite character ever. :P
July 21, 2012
It's good for families, and I should give a good review on this film. The 1956 version with Yul Brynner is good enough. The animated version is delightful. The versions are OK as well. But Richard Rich should give some praise? Hmmm...but by the way, why did this get a rotten score of 13%? People thought it was going to be a huge success in the box office, but for the critics...*sighs*...can the critics reviews on this movie be dissapointing? But this is a OK film.
June 11, 2012
eww dont remind me i was in a play of this at my school...stupid thing
April 17, 2012
not as good as the original one, but it was ok
½ March 31, 2012
nononono....dumb, dumb, dumb. a total travesty of a beloved classical musical
March 3, 2012
I liked this cartoon Disney verison. It was a good movie.
February 16, 2012
sure why not its like anna and the king
½ February 13, 2012
Childish Remake of the 1956 film about Anna and the King Of Siam and broadway show. It's Alright, I suppose. But nothing like the movie, or the broadway show, in fact. Avoid.
½ December 14, 2011
Who let this happen?
July 11, 2011
I remember really loving this when I was a kid. But I'd need to watch it again.
June 23, 2011
love the movie good one.
½ May 18, 2011
This film is an embarassment! It's basically a modern, kid-friendly update/rip-off of the 50's classic of the same name. They also add in a villain and random animal sidekicks amongst other Disney rip-off conventions. The only good things are the songs (taken directly from the aforementioned film), and even then they had to ruin it by making retarded stuff happen during the songs. How they got Miranda Richardson to play Anna is beyond me...
May 14, 2011
I'm sure singing about things that are against tradition is also against tradition, et cetera, et cetera.
January 11, 2011
Possibly one of the biggest insults to an early cinema classic. They take the beloved Rogers and Hammerstein's musical and turn it into a cheap Disney wannabe. Cute animals? Check! Stereotypical sidekick? Check! Turn the advisor into a villain? Check! Give it a happy ending? DOUBLE FREAKIN' CHECK!!!!
December 17, 2010