The King and I - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King and I Reviews

½ January 11, 2013
This film is so awful that it's the reason why no other animated films have been made about musicals by Rodgers and Hammerstein. When I watched the film, I knew why this was so. The King And I is indescribably awful in every conceivable way. I knew that this film was fucked just from the opening scene when a musical number happens during a storm when the ship was being attacked by a sea monster (The musical number also stops the monster for some reason as well). This scene is so badly done and sung so poorly that I literally dropped my jaw and was left saying, "What the fuck?!" multiple times during that bafflingly idiotic scene. However, it is only the start of the stunning shittiness that is to come. Every other musical number is just as awful since they happen randomly and without reason, and are also sung poorly. The acting and dialogue are atrocious, since the actors were all stale in their performances. The attempts at humor are so pathetic that it will feel like the film is inflicting you with pain since the humor is completely unfunny. The animation looks like crap both in the hand drawn department and god-awful computer-generated parts, making it one of the ugliest animated films I've ever seen. The film also finds time to be racist, since it features stereotypical caricatures of Chinese people, which makes the film even worse to sit through. It's also a horrificially cliched film since it features a contrived romance subplot and a badly inserted "be yourself" message, while also stealing from Disney for good measure. All in all, The King And I isn't just horrible, it's beyond horrible in every way and easily one of the all-time worst animated films and also among the worst films I've ever seen (Even calling it a steaming pile of shit is being too polite). I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE IT!!!
December 13, 2012
Good and then more Good!!!
November 27, 2012
Yul Brenner is; The King, in this movie ! Music is classic. I can always watch it again and again!
November 5, 2012
Richard Rich could not have undermined the original Rogers and Hammerstein play any more than he did here. The singing feels very forced compared to the original film, and the animation has such a poor FPS rate combined with really bright colors, that it gives me a migraine. While I do have sympathy towards Rich as an animator, he really screwed up here. I mean it's sad that one of the men who directed a classic like The Fox and the Hound did this.
September 2, 2012
One of my favorites!
September 2, 2012
Completely butchered the 1956 classic. I watched it when I was very young, and looking back it now, the songs are butchered, the animation has its good moments, but mainly, so-so, and the plot has been completely trashed with adding sorcery, animal sidekicks and a comic relief character "Master Little". Do not go near this film.
½ August 31, 2012
It's good for kids who are bored to death by the real musical but if you ask me the musical's SO much better.
½ August 18, 2012
this was a childhood favorite of mine. Master Little was pretty much my favorite character ever. :P
July 21, 2012
It's good for families, and I should give a good review on this film. The 1956 version with Yul Brynner is good enough. The animated version is delightful. The versions are OK as well. But Richard Rich should give some praise? Hmmm...but by the way, why did this get a rotten score of 13%? People thought it was going to be a huge success in the box office, but for the critics...*sighs*...can the critics reviews on this movie be dissapointing? But this is a OK film.
June 11, 2012
eww dont remind me i was in a play of this at my school...stupid thing
April 17, 2012
not as good as the original one, but it was ok
½ March 31, 2012
nononono....dumb, dumb, dumb. a total travesty of a beloved classical musical
March 3, 2012
I liked this cartoon Disney verison. It was a good movie.
February 16, 2012
sure why not its like anna and the king
½ February 13, 2012
Childish Remake of the 1956 film about Anna and the King Of Siam and broadway show. It's Alright, I suppose. But nothing like the movie, or the broadway show, in fact. Avoid.
½ December 14, 2011
Who let this happen?
July 11, 2011
I remember really loving this when I was a kid. But I'd need to watch it again.
June 23, 2011
love the movie good one.
½ May 18, 2011
This film is an embarassment! It's basically a modern, kid-friendly update/rip-off of the 50's classic of the same name. They also add in a villain and random animal sidekicks amongst other Disney rip-off conventions. The only good things are the songs (taken directly from the aforementioned film), and even then they had to ruin it by making retarded stuff happen during the songs. How they got Miranda Richardson to play Anna is beyond me...
May 14, 2011
I'm sure singing about things that are against tradition is also against tradition, et cetera, et cetera.