The King and I Reviews

• Sep 14, 2019

OK for kids and has some decent animation but this take on the classic musical prefers to ignore what made its source material great in the first place and instead decides to be a ripoff of Disney and The Prince of Egypt, even though the "cartoon musical" subgenre of animation was becoming outdated by the time the movie came out.

• Mar 11, 2019

I love this movie so much, because not only that King and I is one of my favorite movies. and Barbra Streisand is amazing for her Medley at the ending Credits, The Medley is I Have Dreamed/We Kiss in a Shadow/Something Wonderful. I just love this movie with a passion.

• Jun 18, 2018

Most under rated movie ever! My favorite thing in the whole movie would be the soundtrack. 1st saw this about 13 years ago I still periodically watch it till this day

• May 29, 2018

The animation is wonderful enough, but recycling the broadway songs made the film fall flat.

• Sep 20, 2017

There is no option for zero stars :) I like how the rating says G for "nothing objectionable" when this entire film is objectionable. Also the guy in the photo looks like Ryu :)

• Jun 06, 2017

As a kid, I loved this film. Not enough to rewatch it now that I'm older and spoil the memories though...

• May 29, 2016

I feel every minute of this film. The only good part was the "Shall We Dance?" song.

• Oct 16, 2015

I have not seen the original 1956 film yet, so I'll compare it to it's closest rivals from the same time-period. The voice-acting, in the case of the King speaking broken-English, was annoying. Tarzan spoke broken-English and it managed to make him quite charming. The animation leaves much to be desired for, but since Warner Bros was quite new at animating at the time, there's nothing else i can say, except for I've seen far more superior animation from the Walt Disney Studios (no surprise). Tarzan (1999 film) for example, was done in the same year, and the animation is far more refined and because of that, the film can still be enjoyed by today's youth. As far as the ''Prime Minister wanting to usurp the King'' theme is concerned, Dreamworks Animation (founded by a bunch of ex-Disney animators) did a far better job in The Road To El Dorado (2000) with their High Priest trying to kill the ''false gods''. Another Dreamworks-film, The Prince of Egypt, had a far more powerful theme and storyline, and Pharoah Rameses I, and his father Seti, made for a much better King than Siam ever did. The Road To El Dorado had a lot more wit, the Prince of Egypt had a more successful integration of songs into a Biblical epic and Tarzan had a more experienced animations team. The King and I would've been a far better film if Walt Disney or Dreamworks took over from Warner Bros.

• Jan 24, 2015

Annoying songs, plot makes no sense, they really screwed this up.

Annoying songs, plot makes no sense, they really screwed this up.

• Mar 06, 2014

Wait? When did this musical have an evil sorcerer and crappy animation in it?

Wait? When did this musical have an evil sorcerer and crappy animation in it?