Purgatory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Purgatory Reviews

½ March 5, 2015
A western with a twist , it moves a little slow with a climatic ending. (It has a made for tv feel to it)
November 16, 2014
This isn't an action packed western, but it was a needed shot got the genre when it was released. This is also Randy Quaid at his best in my opinion.
July 31, 2013
Uli Edel drops some fantasy into a western atmosphere in Purgatory.This isn't a 90 minute sprint around the track by any means, but for a film that does harness a slower pace, the cloudiness and sense of mystery stirs up enough intrigue to keep the story afloat.The film may kick off with a bang; however, there isn't much in the way of bullets flying around, which leaves the feeling that this is lesser than an action picture. Fortunately, the final act makes up for it all.The cast is strong and it shows. Sam Shepard was born for his role and Eric Roberts proves to be an excellent adversary. Peter Stormare, Randy Quaid, J.D. Souther, and Donnie Wahlberg fill up the supporting cast nicely. Amelia Heinle is a sight for sore eyes in a film full of gun-slinging cowboys.Purgatory fits the bill as a western with a unique flavor, thus making it a recommendable film.
July 23, 2013
Moving and inspirational western about life's choices. Almost dreamlike...fictional story that packs a message. Loved the casting.
March 29, 2013
Sci-Fi Meets Western and the end result is a bad wish-wash.
September 16, 2012
a really good western
March 19, 2012
One of the ONLY westerns that I actually liked !!!
January 15, 2012
ena endiaferon gouestern!!!!!!!
November 14, 2011
I really enjoyed this movie! I love the twist it has. I love the boy's innocence while he is surrounded by murders and drinkers... Great Movie with great shooting scenes!
September 30, 2011
Interesting spin on the traditional western
August 18, 2011
ena endiaferon gouestern!!!!!!!
½ December 16, 2010
Interesting movie actually--definitely a family flick you can enjoy with everyone.
As I was watching the film I couldn't help but not think back on my College years when I read Dante's Inferno.
Good vs Evil gone western in a strange but interesting way.
Very nice cast. I liked it.
A couple of words to sum it up:
½ June 18, 2010
Okay, I know this movie has its downfalls, but I still find it enjoyable. the concept is pretty cool, throwing the mystic properties of the old western heroes and villains with biblical spiritualism. The shootouts were more realistic than I've seen in most westerns, which is a change. Still... this is a made for tv movie, and all made for tv movies suffer from the similar problems. This is no different. Well, lets get to it.
1. Acting. Dry, predictable, t.v. oriented. There are the exceptions, but overall, the acting the audience needed isn't what the audience received.
2. Characters. I'm not sure what research went into the characters of this movie, but I found them lacking. They seemed more like the anthropomorphized versions of the actual characters ( the ones based off of real people ), not performances based off of actual accounts. It seemed like a 50's western done in the late 90's, know what I mean?
I can't in good conscience give this movie a good score. I want to, because I like it, but it can't. It's a C movie. Shy of a ripe tomato because of bad acting. Catch it on tv, if it ever comes on again. Borrow it from someone, if they were that enthusiastic about it. If you can find it used for a buck or so, I am inclined to say spend it, but DON'T pay full price. I taped it, and even though I like this movie, that's as far as I'm going to go with it.
April 13, 2010
Randy Quaid, Eric Roberts, and Donnie Wahlberg this has to be good
½ November 24, 2009
Makes you think about the direction of your own life
October 25, 2009
i like this story..it is really god to watch and see the moral behind it.
August 26, 2009
Ended up watching this movie till end with hubby. We sure enjoy it... great actors with great acting... and you'll see all the famous bandits / outlaws in one movie... cool!
½ June 22, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie, but I am a major fan of westerns. The meaning behind the movie was good and it is unlike most other westerns.
½ May 22, 2009
Could have been a regular, easy forgotten made for tv western, but it sure is not. The storyline is great and has a mystical touch that makes it quite enjoyable, and the soundtrack is suprisingley good. Some of the acting was kinda cheesy but still entertaining. Eric Robert has done a lot of crap movies, but he is allright in this one.