Cleopatra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cleopatra Reviews

June 30, 2016
Another version that perpetuates the legend of Cleopatra as a drop dead gorgeous femme fatale and bugger all else.

. I hope Angelina Jolie plays her as the highly intelligent and capable ruler she was instead of the usual scheming sex kitten Hollywood and Roman historical bias usually inflicts on us.
June 23, 2016
Cleopatra fails to create any action in its premise and is boring yet it can be much worse due to the fact that it ruins one of the best of stories of ancient times and civilazations
July 30, 2014
I love epic and tragic romances lol
½ May 23, 2013
Love da Egyptian music in the flim
February 22, 2013
Say a prayer for this film
January 24, 2013
Cheap remake of the classic film.
May 28, 2012
For a television movie, this had some pretty graphic love scenes. Not for the kids to see.
April 14, 2012
i like this one the most out of all cleopatra movies
½ April 13, 2012
Trashy TV miniseries
January 26, 2012
Suprisingly good but not a good adaptaion of the book it's "based" on.
December 11, 2011
Talk about the movie that went on FOREVER!
½ July 24, 2011
I love every version of Cleopatra, Leonor Varela was smokin hot Cleo, but she still can't match the Splendor of Liz Taylor or Vivien Leigh.Billy Zane as Marc Anthony was a nice choice
July 16, 2011
it wasn't 2 bad for a remake
xxdebxx
July 7, 2011
The story of an exotic queen Cleopatra who won the hearts of both Julius Caesar and Marc Antony while reigning over beautiful Egypt. Timothy Dalton is terrific in his depiction of Julius Cesar while Billy Zane was charismatic as Mark Antony, torn between Rome and his obsession with Cleopatra. The settings were magnificent and I thought Leanor Varela captured the cunning seductiveness of Cleopatra, using her siren sexuality as a weapon to achieve her aims. The director obviously did not intend to make this an accurate history documentary so provided you disregard the historical viewpoint and view the movie as you would view any other romance-tear jerker, you would realize that it is well done and the actors and actresses did a superb job.
½ July 6, 2010
Wonderful backdrops and costumes, but only barely satisfying acting.
June 19, 2010
Pretty good remake. Probably more historically accurate than the Liz Taylor version. Fascinating story, well done.
moviebuffgirl
April 6, 2010
"When I am with you, I lose myself."

Most of my friends have no idea that a film like this actually exists. Well, it does. :p I remember watching this for the first time when I was eight years old and being completely enamored by the beauty of the costumes and the poignant and timeless romance between Egypt's most famous queen, Cleopatra, and two of Rome's most powerful men, Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. The Taylor-Burton version is reserved for those who wish to revel in the beauty of old Hollywood; if you want to go closer to the actual telling of Cleopatra's story, this film is your best shot in seeing it come to life before your eyes.
It is the year 51 B.C. and Egypt has been thrown into turmoil. The throne has been usurped from Cleopatra (Varela), the oldest child of Pharaoh Ptolemy XII (although this isn't mentioned in the film, I did extra research to make my review factual :p) by her younger siblings, the ambitious Arsinoe (Voyagis) and the manipulated Ptolemy XIII (Clarke). Aiding them is Pothinus (Saxon), who wishes to control Egypt through the two royal siblings. Cleopatra is thrown into exile, but when the Roman leader Gaius Julius Caesar (Dalton) comes to inspect the trouble which has been brewing in the royal household, Cleopatra shows herself to the Roman and seduces him. Her plan works, and she gets total control of Egypt, dispatching her younger sister in the process (Ptolemy died while being chased by Roman soldiers). The alliance between Rome and Egypt remains unshakable, despite the fact that back in Rome, the Romans are opposing the closeness which has formed between Caesar and Cleopatra. When Caesar returns to Rome, he is faced with the threat of revolt, which ultimately explodes when Cleopatra, while on a courtesy visit to Rome, exposes the truth behind how much she and Caesar have gotten close: their out-of-wedlock son, Ptolemy Caesar (Francis-Lynch). Caesar's nephew, Octavian (Graves), whom he has named as his heir, becomes uneasy, and although he doesn't do anything to assassinate his uncle, he does not do anything to stop it either. The death of Caesar causes Cleopatra to return to Egypt, and when she learns that Mark Antony and Octavian are now ruling Rome, she quickly makes plans to turn Mark Antony to her cause. Like his predecessor, Mark Antony becomes smitten with the exotic queen. However, the two meet their demise in the hands of Octavian, but before she can be taken back to Rome to be paraded around as the prize of Octavian's conquests, Cleopatra kills herself from the bite of the cobra.
Wow wow wow. I cannot say enough about this one. Where to start? First, Varela's acting was breathtaking. She can be a seductress and a queen hell bent on maintaining the power of her country by selling herself to men in power. Dalton's turn as Caesar was very believable; his age didn't do anything to diminish the fact that although he was the leader of the most powerful nation during those times, he was still vulnerable. Zane's known for being passionate in his films, and here he makes no exception. Graves... well, although I know that he was supposedly portraying one of the greatest Roman emperors, his portrayal made me think if Augustus Caesar was truly a great emperor... nah, I'm kidding. :DDD Loved everything about it. And if you are really truly quick to spot people who you never thought you'd end up seeing in a film, let's see if you can spot Oded Fehr in this one. ;;) Watch it; even if you still think the Taylor-Burton Cleopatra owns, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one. If only for the historical factor. :P
½ March 28, 2010
Mark Antony is cute lol
December 28, 2009
i like this movie ...cuz i said soooo....lol
ScoopOnline
December 28, 2009
Leonar Varela`s acting like a school girl, not to mention the lack of Billy Zane s perfomance even the almighty Timothy Dalton couldnt save this mini seriers.