Joan of Arc - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joan of Arc Reviews

December 2, 2017
i want to see this movie SO MUCH
October 30, 2017
A Must See! Very entertaining with non-stop action from beginning to end. Excellent acting and cinematography. A classic the whole family will love. Outstanding acting.
November 5, 2016
One of the most historically accurate portrayals. Its visually beautiful, but not overdone. The poor rating is undeserved; highly recommended.
April 19, 2015
This adaptation of "Joan of Arc" is just barely watchable thanks to solid production values, the power of the original story, and a surprisingly good performance from, of all people, Peter O'Toole. Unfortunately, the editing of the film is utterly incompetent, awkwardly flailing through the plot and battle sequences in fits and starts. Dialogue is distractingly anachronistic, and the interpretation of Joan is a middling portrayal which casts a bit of doubt into Joan's character, but doesn't really stake any significant claim on her in any which way. Because of this, Joan is robbed of most of her intrigue and power as a historical figure. She becomes a mere pawn of powerful men, not the paradigm breaking figure who demands to be reckoned with. Also, several important sequences are historically altered in ways that are detrimental to the power and impact of the story. (I'm looking at you, horrendously underdone betrayal scene/atrociously overwrought siege of Paris) This could have been phenomenal, but awful editing and scripting kills this endeavor to capture the mystique of the Maid of Orleans.
January 22, 2015
I think Leelee Sobieski did a marvelous job in this movie, portraying Joan of Arc as she really was, confident, intelligent, courageous, and inspiring. The medieval castles from the East Czech Republic added to understanding the times that Joan lived in. I thought Chad Willett did a marvelous job as Jean De Metz, Joan's follower and friend. The battle scene of the taking of Les Tourelles at Orleans was very well done. I liked the pomp and music of the coronation of Charles VII. I think they botched the way Joan was captured, however, that's not how it happened at all. A drawbridge was raised prematurely outside the city of Compiegne, and Joan was trapped from escaping her Burgundian enemies.
January 11, 2015
I hated the ending, but otherwise it was great!
½ October 17, 2014
Visually decent, this rushed, unemotional, mediocre attempt is derailed completely by a simplistically modern and uneven script, and otherwise undone by a shockingly vacant Sobieski heading a name brand cast all phoning it in.
Skip it.
Boring yuk - unless you need help sleeping..
half star of 5
½ August 19, 2014
This film is just so damn exagerated. It's childish, waddling and it doesn't know the meaning of the word "subtlety".
January 14, 2014
Worth watching, but I felt like something was missing...
½ November 23, 2013
I saw this in French 1 class and LOVED it! My French teacher pointed out various things throughout the movie, like trivia facts and whatnot. This is actually a great movie. Must see!
September 15, 2013
An interesting account, very watchable!
June 20, 2013
Sobieski may look the part, but she lacks the fire, so does the entire film.
March 16, 2013
neil, I watched the trailer and I think there is enough Neil to keep me going :p
½ March 14, 2013
A good movie decision but was lacking some features that could have made it a lot better.
½ February 3, 2013
It might be a better movie than I presume, but after 20 minutes of torture aka insane boredom, I surrendered. I'd much rather read a book about Jeanne d'Arc's life.
½ January 22, 2013
Really good. Really REALLY good, actually.
½ January 17, 2013
A really good drama. Portraying that woman can do big things too.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ October 27, 2012
Cheesy acting (except for Neil Patrick Harris), boring story, terrible action, characters we have no idea about, terrible screenplay and full of cliches