Inherit the Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inherit the Wind Reviews

jjnxn
½ January 1, 2014
Not the masterpiece that the 1960 film was but a very solid rendering of the play which provided the great George C. Scott with a fitting and graceful swan song.
October 28, 2013
Inherit the Wind (Daniel Petrie, 1999)
[originally posted 14Mar2000]

Hold the phone. It's a remake that's almost as good as the original.

Much of the brilliance of the new version of Inherit the Wind comes from finding two old fogeys who have the same love/hate chemistry brought to life in the original by Frederic March and Spencer Tracy; in this case, the friendly adversaries are George C. Scott, in his last performance before his death, and Jack Lemmon. Toss in Beau Bridges as the wisecracking journalist and a surprisingly downbeat performance by Thom Everett Scott as the teacher who ends up a guinea pig in one of the biggest trials of the century, and you got yourself a fine film. The comic timing is impeccable on all counts, the lines form the film that have become cliche are delivered with the same freshness that ignited them decades ago, and one can almost believe that Scott and Lemmon actually are Bryan and Darrow haggling it out in a Tennessee courtroom.

If you've never seen Inherit the Wind, start with the classic Spencer Tracy/Frederic March version from 1960. If you're a fan of the film already, and have been avoiding this remake because nothing can do the original justice, well, you're right... but it comes as close as possible. ****
½ March 31, 2012
not bad,"jack's good"mind opener,i suppose...
December 27, 2010
made me go to wikimedia immediately afterwards to read about the real-life trial...Scott and Lemmon are both brilliant...an intriguing look at the evolution vs creational fight....I'd love to see the original
½ June 22, 2010
Scott and Lemmon face off in a tetelling of a classic it isn't as good as teh first but very good performances
January 26, 2010
Nice to see Jack Lemmon again.
½ December 20, 2009
"An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks turned to snakes or the parting of the waters. " spoken by Henry Drummond, the defense lawyer of accused science teacher BT Cates. This version with Jack Lemmon, George C. Scott and Beau Bridges is excellent. And relevant to this day.
½ October 24, 2009
There is some great star power in this movie. Both of the leads produced powerful performances. I suppose this was a little overly dramatic at times. However, I wonder if having watched this in high school in additon to reading the play woudn't have fostered an even more interesting and thoughtful discussion. I suppose I need to watch the original version as well.
½ October 12, 2009
Average movie. I could give it an extra half star I guess, because it was still a decent movie, right? But... then that would imply that I want you to see this flick.

Here's the movie in a few seconds, in addition to what the synopsis says: Evolution wins. But God has his place in the movie as well. Has his say and whatnot. So both can coexist. Or something. Just read the book instead if you're interested. Damn. I'm making things difficult for myself here. But that's pretty much all that comes as a result of all this. So... there you go.
September 21, 2009
Oh my. This is a horrible picture of Christianity. I was embarrassed at the behavior of these people. The ignorance and stubborness of the religious folk are horrific and very far from the actual teachings of the Bible. I found myself leaning on the side of Jack Lemmon's character, unfortunately he was the attorney for the evolution side. This is the exact flip side of what happens today in education. The 2 sides have just switched places in the courtroom. Both are wrong if they don't allow for freedom of thinking.
January 7, 2009
good version of this
December 18, 2008
The Spencer Tracey version is far superior. Scott tends to overact a little but Lemon turns in a nice stint.
½ October 26, 2008
Not as well executed as the original film.
½ October 25, 2008
not bad,"jack's good"mind opener,i suppose...
½ October 2, 2008
This made for tv movie stars Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott in one of their last roles and both are excellent. Way above par TV movie and well made.
September 23, 2008
Decent but not great. Jack Lemmon was great in this movie but I didn't like some of the characters like Rachel. I thought that she was weak as a character. Its all right but I wouldn't watch it again.
½ September 20, 2008
One of my favorite books growing up, yet I have not seen the movie until now. It is an enjoyable story, despite being a courtroom drama, and the acting is superb! Lemmon and Scott (R.I.P) really make the film worth while. I would highly recommend giving it a view.
½ September 14, 2008
In this made-for-T.V. remake of the classic starring Spencer Tracy, two legends face off in what would be one of the last films either one would make. Jack Lemmon enters, playing the Tracy part. Not only does Lemmon manage to leave his own impressive and unique mark on the character, but he also succeeds in taking the audience back to 1925 Tennessee. George C. Scott, arguably, owns this movie, though. In the role of Matthew Brady (based on William Jennings Bryan), Scott breaths brilliance into a character known for ignorance. His final "stand", after the verdict has been handed down, shows that all those years later, the great talent of George C. Scott remained.
½ May 7, 2008
there's too much of god in it... blah.
April 11, 2008
This film is more about Scott's performance than anything else.