Lilies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lilies Reviews

October 5, 2016
Extremely imaginative, extremely artistic, extremely creative and extremely compelling. The story was really intriguing, the direction was really imaginative, the way the plot presented to us was really artistic and what brought a freshness into the story. It was really good, I enjoyed every second of this Canadian film.
½ July 8, 2015
This is art at its finest. I absolutely loved this film. It is so intelligent and ambitious - The movement from present to past, prison to memory was breathtakingly well done. Oh, wow. The acting was top notch; I was completely absorbed by the characters. It raises interesting perspectives as it relates to a whole whack of topics and forces audiences to think critically about them. One or two minor plot flaws that didn't quite fit in with the story as a whole, but easy to overlook in favour of this art piece.
February 3, 2015
Beautiful queer Canadian film directed by John Greyson.
½ November 16, 2014
Brilliant filmmaking
½ February 3, 2014
Traumatically bizarre.
December 22, 2013
Lilies, the symbol of opportunities and innocence.
August 28, 2012
Dramatic and beautiful and one of the most underrated films I've ever come across.
SarahTheMovieLover
½ May 29, 2012
This actually ended up being better than I thought it would be. It was quite beautiful actually. The acting was lovely across the board (though I'd have to say that Brent Carver's performance was my favourite). I like the idea behind the story and the meaning one could extract from it. I also loved that it was an all male cast (and of rather unknown/lesserknown actors at that). It made it really feel like I was watching a play on stage. I think my only real "issue/grievance" was that sometimes the story within a story/play within a play was a little bit confusing. All in all though, I was quite pleased and again have to say that this film was quite beautiful.

What did this movie teach me? Poetry makes everything so much more romantic, beautiful, and erotic.
March 14, 2012
I remember this being a beautiful film, but it's been years. I need to watch it again/ buy it.
November 25, 2011
like 'bent', stage drama on film, not for me. looks like it would be liked a lot by those who enjoy the genre. the cast believed in what they were doing.
November 20, 2011
Heartbreaking and beautiful movie. Was a bit confused because I thought the two old men were Simon and Vallier. It wasn't until the end when I realized Vallier was dead and Simon was accused and jailed for his murder and is now trying to make Bilodeau confess to his lies. Though I would have enjoyed a happy ending, this movie was truly beautiful. Must see for anyone!
½ November 9, 2011
An unforgettable story told in an equally unforgettable way. The story is told in flashback, performed by the inmate friends of a man horribly wronged by 'your excellency.' As they act out the story, the divide between realist flashback and the barebones play setting blur, perhaps thanks to the passionate and respectful retelling of the prison's 'actors'. It leads to a showdown between these men that leaves the audience with uncertainty and dread. The crime committed is terrible and time is running out to resolve it.
September 4, 2011
I don't know what all the fuss is about this melodramatic, theatrical movie which is full of eye-popping images but emotionally numb. An old bishop in 1952 goes to a prison to hear a confession of a convict but they have a past, so the prisoners kidnap the bishop and renact the events of 40 years earlier. The irony is that the bishop and convict should share places.

It's an off beat movie with exquisite art direction and cinematography that creates a background that resembles a painting. However, the plot and events were tedious and the somber direction doesn't help. The young actors are handsome and the actor who plays younger Simon looks like Peter Gallagher. Despite critical reviews, I can't recommend this movie.
September 1, 2011
retak menanti belah....
January 14, 2011
November 27, 2010
An incredibly moving and beautiful love story. Expertly told with passion, art, and style. One of the best adaptations of a play I have ever seen. I could watch it over and over again.
½ September 5, 2010
an interesting movie. great cast and direction. Though hard to fellow at times.
½ July 10, 2010
it is extremely engaging. the script and story will keep your brain dancing.
May 31, 2010
Brent Carver is wonderful here. A film unfortunately that is hidden in the vaults because, I assume, of its content. Should be frequently shown as a fine example of Canadian film.
May 5, 2010
Now THIS was unexpected! Director John Greyson effortlessly guides us through a potentially problematic concept, and with surprisingly little pretention. Lilies is poetry on celluloid; the film moves from one incredible scene after another, it's performed by actors at the absolute peaks of their powers, and the cinematography is lush to the point where you can almost smell the surroundings. Be warned, though; this is one Hell of a sad story, and Greyson refuses to compromise Lilies with a forced happy ending. Instead, he gives us a fantastic and compelling final shot that still haunts me today. A masterpiece.