Vanity Fair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanity Fair Reviews

½ October 3, 2014
great costumes but too sad
January 13, 2012
Excellent - particularly Becky Sharp.
December 11, 2010
think they cast the wrong actress/actor for the role of Emmy & William
March 30, 2009
This A&E miniseries is a fairly faithful adaptation of the novel. It is, at any rate, much better than the Reese Witherspoon vehicle that came out in 2004. What this miniseries understands (and what the Witherspoon movie failed to comprehend) is that Becky Sharp can't be portrayed as completely sympathetic, nor can she actually be as friendly as she pretends to be to those around her. If she's portrayed as sympathetic, the whole point of the story is lost. Fortunately, Natasha Little plays the perfect Ms. Sharp in this version of Vanity Fair; she's a vicious little backstabber.
September 7, 2008
This six episode, five hour long adaptation is probably closer to Thackeray's novel than the 2004 version, and it got better reviews too. Though I am not too fond of the period, and Becky Sharp is not the kind of woman I would hang out with, I really liked it. It probably helps that it stars the beautiful and sprightly Natasha Little.
July 24, 2008
really good
must see
July 18, 2008
Superb in every way: great performances from the whole cast, but particularly Natasha Little and Philip Glenister (a far cry from Gene Hunt!); a great soundtrack (some find it too jarring but I thought it was perfect); brilliant cinematography.