Rebecca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rebecca Reviews

June 7, 2015
This is much more loyal to the book. I particularly enjoyed Dunaway's character Mrs. Van Hopper.
December 26, 2011
Emilia Fox, one of my all-time favorite actresses, performs brilliantly as the Second Mrs. deWinter in this Masterpiece Theater made-for-television film. Charles Dance and Diana Rigg are also excellent. While this story has been adapted to the big screen several times, this is the best film version of the Daphne Du Maurier classic.
June 28, 2011
The original was outstanding, and this version was a worthy close 2nd. Well done remake, just as you would expect from Masterpiece Theater.
½ January 5, 2011
1997 Television version of the classic Du Maurier tale is a drawn out more than the original 1940 version but is still entertaining. Always a pleasure to see Diana Rigg and the rest of the cast is good. Highlight for me was the wonderful score by Christopher Gunning.
September 8, 2010
This film has some important differences from the 1940 classic. It is worth a look, just to see how they handle certain aspects of the storyline.

Faye Dunaway did a splendid job as the flirtatious Mrs. Van Hopper. It is a shame that she did not have more screen time.

Whoever played the head butler was cast perfectly. I only wish that I caught his name.

Even though this is a 3 hour movie, it does not drag at all.. The viewing time goes by smoothly.
½ April 2, 2010
this is a sick romance of a much elder wife-murdering aristocrat selfishly wanna redeem his damaged life by marrying some timid teenager girl who heappens to be irreasonably in love with this cranky old gent. but this man has a unbelievably charming ex-wife rebecca who tends to overshadow this dreaming teen everyone who loves hitchcock's rebecca, the ending is the obsessive nanny of rebecca's burns down rebecca's room and intends to die within the fire. but this 1997 version would be maxim comes to save the old nanny so he cripples his one leg and one hand, and partly disfigured, and large part of his fortune shrinks then escapes to everywhere in europe to shun away from nightmarish memories in manderly. and the man is 40-something/or middle-age and the girl is 17, how romantic you imagine it would be?

and the other difference is, in hitchcock's rebecca, maxim,played by deliciously handsome olivier, is no wife-killer and rebecca dies of cancer. but in this version, rebecca is strangled to death by maxim by overtly provoking him and the teen chic still adores him even he's a wife-murdering jerk. and here rebecca has her eyes and devilish mouth shown in maxim's recollections.

this is far from hitchcock for sure, besides it casts senile charles dance as the suave maxim du winters. and dance looks like aging grandpa in various scenes with the very minor-looking diane rigg. the love scenes are repulsively pedophilic and severely UNSEXY. it makes you wonder this girl must really have her brain fried and cooked to genuinely love this unattractive man.

before i saw this 1997 rebecca, when i thought of rebecca, i thought of gothic romance and gorgeously elegant laurence olivier, even when his character acts bitter and abrasive, you still pardon him due to some mystic smoldering air he emantes as if something haunts him into dysfunction like some un-solved puzzle awaiting you to resolve, an enchanting mystery. laurance olivier tends to lead you into evolving the character maxim...and joan fountain is equally wonderful, even her character is a plain jane lacklustered by the omnipotent rebecca, but there's some womanly yearning transpiring within her...but this 1997 version feels more like a morbid romance for a certain masochistic female reader. besides hitch takes away the grosteque part and encapsulates it with LAURENCE OLIVIER!

this could be a popular feminist discussion because the romance novel tends to brainwash meanwhile relieve its female reader into accepting the overpower of partriarchy, believing in the rewards gained by feminine virtues..stories like lowly social status young plain jane marries the grauchy much older rich gentleman, and the girl surrenders to the old man's sadistic manners and the obstacles of the man's ex-wife or love rivals, blah blah blah...the point is that even the man is old, unpleasant, and crippled and disfigured in the end, the woman maintains her "feminine virtues" and satisfied with his love even he's already no good and worthless to any other woman. plain jane's masochistic morbid romance to justify male violence on women. anyway, that's whole discussion is about...
December 22, 2009
I think the Original and the Remake were great.
June 3, 2009
Wonderfully performed by (almost) the entire cast, this updated take on DuMaurier's classic novel is truer to the novel than the Hitchcock original, and the longer running time is worth every minute because of the exposition and intrigue it allows to blosson. Charles Dance is much more likable as Maxim de Winter, and Emilia Fox brings all the vulnerability to the un-named role for which a book fan could hope. The costumes, set, music, cars and cinematography were all historically accurate, and the contrast between the east and west wings of Manderley subtly mirrored the disparity between the two Mrs de Winters. My only complaint was the casting of Faye Dunaway as Mrs VanHopper, and the direction the role took in this version. Instead of a simpering, petty, old gossip and busybody, she was a sultry, sleazy, pretending and conniving middle-aged husband-hunter; not at all the character written in the book, or seen in the Hitchcock film.
½ January 5, 2009
Great Mini Series based upon a book.
½ December 29, 2008
Decidedly average dramatisation, looks nice but lacks the sparkle of Hitchcock's version.
May 29, 2008
Please watch Hitchcock's version....
although I quite liked Charles Dance...
March 17, 2008
I watched this one to compare it to the Alfred Hitchcock version and preferred this one. It was truer to the book and the cast was much better suited to the roles, with the exception of Mrs. Danvers.
March 13, 2008
A faithful adaptation of Du Maurier's classic novel. Great cast, particularly Diana Rigg as Mrs. Danvers. Well worth seeing if you liked the Hitchcock version.
March 4, 2008
Diana Rigg totally makes this movie. Great novel, decent adaptation.
March 1, 2008
Wow! The length of this incredible film is necessary to do it justice. Charles Dance and Emilia Fox play their roles to perfection and the rest of the cast follow in their respective talents. Beautifully photographed.
January 2, 2008
Closer to the book than the original but I liked the actress who played Mrs Danvers in the original one better. She's more creepy.
December 3, 2007
...just because I loved the book! amazing story of mistery, betrayal, intrigue!
½ October 3, 2007
Charles Dance...*sigh* A great adaptation, even if there were deviations from the original text (some more glaring than others).
September 12, 2007
Totally loved this Movie. Charles Dance as Maxim de Winter surpasses all expectations one might have (and isn't too bad to look at either!). He portrays Max as more romantic (perhaps more so than other adaptations), something which adds a touch of realism and allows for a different perspective of his character. It was my first Movie with Charles Dance though. I have seen this Movie 3 times since last 7 years and I could watch it again and again. I normally am not a Romance Fan, but this is one of those Movie that just steals my Attention.