Tower of Terror - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tower of Terror Reviews

½ October 31, 2016
I remember watching this movie on TV as a kid and loving it. But I've discovered, upon recently rewatching other Halloween movies from my childhood, that many times they're not as good as I used to think. So naturally, I had the same concerns with 1997's made-for-TV movie Tower of Terror.

And at first, I thought my worries were coming true. The film does a poor job when trying to force character depth. The dialogue gets clunky and self-aggrandizing. The film doesn't truly shine until it happens organically.

Steve Guttenberg plays Buzzy, a former newspaper writer, who has lost all his credibility after a story he published turned out to be fake. So he turns to writing tabloid stories instead. He's approached by Abigail Gregory, an old lady who claims to know how child actress Sally Shine, and others, disappeared one night back in 1939 at the Hollywood Tower Hotel. She claims that Shine's nanny used dark magic to trap the young starlet's soul in limbo. Guttenberg thinks he might have a story on his hands and visits the abandoned hotel to investigate.

Guttenberg lacks a convincing performance, but he still gives us some nice wit. As the movie's lead, he's affable enough. But it's the others around him that shine a little more. Kirsten Dunst as his niece, Anna, provides solid support, but the five actors who play the hotel's ghosts give us some of the film's best moments.

What the movie does best is craft a fine mystery surrounding the strange 1939 accident and makes us care about its victims--who are all minor-to-supporting characters--but it just fails to keep us interested in its actual leads.

However, it's truly a fun Halloween movie. One of my favorites for this time of year. Kids will love it. It's not too scary, but eerie enough to pique their interest. And it holds up pretty well, giving adults a cool story to follow. It's definitely as entertaining as I remember.

Twizard Rating: 89
October 11, 2016
I loved this movie as a kid and I love this movie now. It's a great story and features the attraction in such an awesome way. Effects are pretty good for a made for TV movie. Good movie for Halloween :)
August 17, 2016
A fun family film based on the disneyland ride of the same name. Similar to the film haunted mansion, tower of terror sees an uncle and niece investigate a abandoned hotel which the guests mysteriously disappeared. A harmless feel good film for the whole family to enjoy, tower of terror is a 90s disney classic.
½ May 24, 2016
I wish that this had been a major theatrical production. When comparing it to the illustrious ride it is based on it falls short of potential. However, for a television movie it isn't bad at all. A nice effort was given to expanding on the backstory. I found it entertaining, but it could have been spookier with more atmospheric touches. (First full viewing - Late childhood)
½ December 24, 2015
Cheesy and pretty uninventive, Tower of Terror is a lazy TV movie that will be forgotten as soon as it ends.
October 31, 2015
Movie is just as good as the ride is in Disneyworld!
½ October 27, 2014
Back in the 1930's an elevator fails and kills famous Hollywood people on their way to a posh penthouse party. They now haunt the building. In comes a reporter and his niece, set on solving the mystery, thereby releasing the trapped ghosts. There's no hiding the made-for-TV aspects of this, which kinda detracts from its potential. Funny, the right amount of scares for small children.
September 20, 2014
Childish. I like the ride at Disneyworld but the movie is terrible. TV movies are always terrible, they could have done better. Ok...
September 9, 2014
Super dark for disney. But still not scary. Funny at times. Fun halloween movie.
½ February 17, 2014
full of gags we have seen before In many other films, But the film has a lot of hart to it, And that's what counts - 7/10
January 4, 2014
It's not unentertaining, but is rather irritating because it just can't decide what kind of movie that it wants to be.
November 25, 2013
Coming soon to my movie collection...
½ August 22, 2013
one of my all time favorite classic movies that is never played anymore. someday i will ride this ride
June 17, 2013
This is one of the best TV films ever made that I've seen!
½ December 18, 2012
it was ok, I loved it when I was a kid, I want to see it again and maybe buy it on DVD, it starred Steve Guttenberg and Kirsten Dunst, the film could have been better, it was directed D.J. MacHale
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
November 30, 2012
The film doesn't fully capture the foreboding, creepiness, and magic of the ride but it does try. The film does throw in some small references to the ride, and the most noteworthy thing about the film is that parts of it were filmed at the actual attraction. Most of the acting is just ok, and the story itself is kind of lame. It's a decent little film, but still worth a view for die-hard fans of the ride.
½ October 31, 2012
Another Disney World-themed ride made into a movie, at least they released this on tv.
July 24, 2012
[font=Arial Black]Its ok but it can sometimes gets a bit boring in places but mostly its really good for its time the efeects are pretty impressive![/font]
July 20, 2012
great movie and I love the ride at disney world