The Haunting Reviews

• Nov 14, 2020

Beautiful & artistic. It's more about the mind & psychology than a horror movie.

• Nov 11, 2020

Overproduced haunted house tale that favors CGI over good old fashioned scares and tension. A very good cast is given very little to do. The Netflix series “The Haunting of Hill House” is a much better adaptation.

• Oct 22, 2020

the set was really interesting, but the writing wasn't very good. I liked the practical effects, but the CGI was pretty dated. I thought the beginning through about 60% was surprisingly good, but after that, it went downhill.

• Oct 20, 2020

5 bagger once again your clueless RT, or maybe you're just haunted like the epinonymous Hill House in this movie. So you got Neeson doing his best work since Schindler here, Owen Wilson at his best, Zeta Jones at only 30 and then Lilly Taylor stealing the show as the disturbed lady. I liked how Owen Wilson played a character named Luke, which is his brothers name for real. Some actors just play characters named their name like how Jack Nicholson played a couple guys named Jack. The plot and special effects were 2nd to none in this movie and it was sure spooky. What's aged better, CZJ or the effects? I thought it was cool when Owen Wilson got decapitated, and I thought Neeson and CZJ were robbed of Oscar gold that fateful year. But my opinion doesn't matter does it RT, I'm like the enslaved coal working children that haunt your walls and I'm trying to get you to hear me and give me super reviewer status but you're like Siri on my iPhone 11 (or 12, whatever I overpaid for last month)-you don't fucking listen!

• Oct 14, 2020

Perfectly fine as a movie about a haunted house, but doesn't do the source material any justice at all. I wish someone would make an adaptation of the book that resembles the book in some way. Lily Taylor was convincing in the role. The script though was pretty mediocre.

• Oct 01, 2020

I'm a little surprised by the poor reviews. Perhaps because it's compared to the original movie/story it's based on which I'm unfamiliar with. I enjoyed the story. The castle provided a creepy & interesting feel for the whole movie. (I'd love to spend a weekend w/friends in a mansion like this) Catherine Zeta-Jones is enticing & stunningly hot, Lili Taylor is a talented actor who elevates the quality in my favorite but often mediocre horror genre. This was the first 5.1 DVD I bought after purchasing a quality home theater system the same time it was released. I still pop it in from time to time, & would love to get a 4K version.

• Aug 27, 2020

If the entire last 30 minutes of this movie were lopped off and a different, more subtle ending had taken its place I think this would've been a great horror movie. The primary reason is the absolutely fantastic score by Jerry Goldsmith, surely among his best and certainly among the best pieces of film music I have ever heard - the crescendos match up so closely to even subtle changes in action or mood and it plays almost the entire running time. The acting from Neeson & Taylor were exemplary for the genre and Owen's comedic relief was welcome if a bit one-note. That said, the movie is not great, due mostly to the bizarrely excessive use of CGI in the finale - the movie felt like it was drawing to a close before they quadrupled the FX output and put both of their nuts into scaring the audience that way instead of the relatively subdued themes that preceded it. The notion that the owner of the house had killed tons of children in it was also deeply farfetched to me and Zeta-Jones put out such shoddy acting that I'm shocked that she had improved enough to win an Oscar 3 years later.

• Jul 27, 2020

Watched on Amazon Prime. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. Liam Neeson is a good actor but he couldn't even save this dreadful movie. The rest of the actors in this were so bad, story line so stupid.... OMG!!!!

• Jul 04, 2020

They made a modern film far less scary and interesting than the original.

They made a modern film far less scary and interesting than the original.

• May 09, 2020

This movie should really be called "Oh No: The Movie". My significant other enjoyed which tells you all you need to know.